Needing some info.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing some info.

This may sound gross to some but I am guessing that if we are here it is because we are with an alcoholic and probably have heard of this problem before. I apologize if I make anyone queezy.
My question is, how far along is the disease when you start seeing blood on toilet paper after they have a bowel movement.
I had noticed some splatters on the toilet that looked like blood after his usual morning blow out, but I wasn't really sure.
Well this morning I saw the toilet paper and it was covered with blood. Not just spotted, but quite a bit.
My ABF is highly functioning, works everyday, never late, and most days at least 12 hours, and his job is in the oilfield in the physical labor part. He does not complain of stomach issues or anything health related.
He has never said a word about the blood and I haven't brought it up. I am wondering how he doesn't see this as a problem. He has high blood pressure and last year diagnosed with diabetes, controlled with pills.
My question is, what does the blood mean and how quick does something like this progress. Also, do they just ignore all of these signs or does the alcohol just make them not think it is a problem.
His alcohol intake is upwards of 12, 16oz beers (tall boys) everyday, and he never misses a day,ever. On the weekends it is probably 20 beers or more a day.
I would appreciate any responses. I probably will not be around a computer until tomorrow evening, so if I don't respond, please do not think I am ignoring you. Thank you in advance for any input.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He definitely needs to see someone. I'm not a doc. and this isn't med advice whatsoever, but usually if the blood is bright read it's not so serious and could be a sign of fissures. Dark colored usually is. Either way doesn't matter, he needs to be checked out.

I know that must be scary... sorry you're going thru this and hope you are getting yourself the help/support you need.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Blood on the toilet paper can mean anything, including hemorrhoids. It isn't necessarily a sign of alcohol-related disease (although alcohol can interfere with clotting and contribute to bleeding more than otherwise).

The alcohol is terrible for his diabetes and high blood pressure, though, and he might very well have other alcohol-related conditions. I'm just not sure blood on the toilet paper, standing alone, tells you very much.

The "scary" blood in bowel movements, from what I understand, is the black, tarry stool where it indicates internal bleeding. The fresh, red blood is more likely to be from hemorrhoids or something similar, though it should still be checked out to be sure.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning!
as a nurse for 7 years I can tell you what I know, but it is not advice. Just info.
bright red blood IN the stool is serious and needs to be dealt with pronto. But if the toilet paper was red it COULD be hemorrhoids bleeding. I don't know how much water intake your A has, but of course we know alcohol is a diuretic (makes you pee a lot) and causes dehydration which can in turn cause constipation, which can cause hemorrhoids due to straining. Hemorrhoids do bleed. Coffee grained looking blood indicates old blood and should still be checked out. You have a legit reason for concern, good call!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Blood like that could be minor, or not but not necessarily alcohol related. I think the ignoring it and not getting it looked at is alcohol related... Some of us like to bury our head in the sand and hope the problem will go away.

I chimed in here to let you know that I had a similar problem, after getting sober, I saw a GI and after a colonoscopy was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Since changing to a vegetarian and gluten free diet, I'm in remission at the moment. Like Lexie said above, the scary blood is the dark tarry blood, but he needs to get checked out regardless.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes, if his platelets are low, it could be a spontaneous bleed. My axbf used to get out of control nosebleeds. There would be quite a bit of blood everywhere. It's scary. Im sorry you're going through this.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm sure this is scary for you, even if he is in denial. I'm sorry to hear about it! Really, none of us can tell you what might be going on. I hope and pray that you can convince him to see a doctor. Does he have a family doctor he trusts?
Old 12-06-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It could he alcohol-related but he could also be anemic or have another health condition of some type
Old 12-07-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sometimes we have to stop and say......how on earth did my life get to the point where I am studying the toilet bowl remnants??? where I can give an exact count of someone else's alcohol consumption based on the day of the week? where did I go in all of this????

it could be nosebleeds........which may indicate JUST a nosebleed or snorting something. that could be why he is able to get up and get moving and seem to be able to "function" after drinking. maybe not.

but.....unless HE sees it as a problem and HE does something about it.....it's just another thing, right?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your replies. I appreciate all the remarks and hopefully it is nothing other than hemorrhoids or something like that. The reason I questioned it is because my grandmother had cancer and had to have a colostomy bag. Right before she died the bag filled with blood. Turns out her liver had failed due to all the medication she had taken during her cancer. Remembering that the reason for the blood was due to liver failure just had me thinking about whether this could be liver problems on his part also.
But, like many of you said, he will have to make the decision to bring it up with a doctor. He did have a regular doctor up until a couple of months ago, but the doctor relocated and the BF has not contacted the new doctor as of yet.
Thank you all and big hugs to all of you.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I lived with someone with liver failure for a while and the telltale elimination signs were very dark urine and very pale stools. Someone dying of liver cancer could be bleeding internally anywhere, I suppose. But I know that the alcoholic liver failure my second husband experienced involved the dark urine and pale stools, which, I learned, were classic symptoms.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=AnvilheadII;5062349]sometimes we have to stop and say......how on earth did my life get to the point where I am studying the toilet bowl remnants??? where I can give an exact count of someone else's alcohol consumption based on the day of the week? where did I go in all of this????

Oh my gosh, this is exactly what I have thought. How did I get here and why can't I just walk away from it all.
And things have changed, for the better, since he moved out. He had been living with his sister but recently moved into his own home. I only see him on the weekends and we seem to get along better because we aren't around each other so much. And, last weekend, i actually took a trip with a friend to go to a bridal shower for another friends daughter. Stayed overnight and had a great time. I would never have done this before, so I think I am doing good in taking steps to find myself again.