Notices

Hello everyone: alcohol and amphetamines

Old 12-06-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone: alcohol and amphetamines

Hi SR.

Thank you for having me and I hope to become part of the community. I've been posting on another site for a while but decided to leave due to some really rude moderators who openly mocked users. From what I've read so far, this is a very respectful place.

I started taking speed in college to stay up late and cram for final exams, then it became for a paper, then just homework and of course then I took it just to take it. Got prescription from the doctor and 2 years later I realized this is not good. Quit that 4 months ago and have no desire to go back except for occasional irrational thought that I quickly squash by doing a cost-benefit analysis of using.

Also in college I was a heavy drinker but it never really caused issues. After graduating I worked in a new city and found a set of real drinking buddies. We would go out almost every day and get smashed beyond belief. My relationships and body started taking a hit and I sort of realized that this wasn't going to work. I still carry some shame for the kind of person I was during ghis time, but I'm slowly accepting that I wasn't mentally well and should try to forgive myself. Moved and got another degree while drinking less, but still had some issues where I would binge and say stupid/obnoxious/rude things. Friends were not pleased.

I'm in a new city again, about to start a good job. Quit alcohol 3 months ago and have been going to AA plus some SMART meetings. I'm an atheist and I'm not sure about working the AA program but I get something out of it so I'm trying to keep an open mind.

That's it for now. Coming up on 90 days from alcohol this Tuesday and I feel wonderful. Life is much better while sober and I just make smarterchoices, hence my username. I look forward to getting to know some of you and wish you all a happy, sober day.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You hang in there. You don't drink, right? You don't do drugs, right?
Old 12-06-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Smarterchoices

Congratulations on your sober journey.

You' ll find nothing but support and understanding here.

Glad to have you with us.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
You hang in there. You don't drink, right? You don't do drugs, right?
Hi. Thank you for the reply! I don't feel like I'm struggling actually. Some days are tough but I don't wake up wanting to drink or use because I realize how bad these things are for my physical and mental health. I'm not using or drinking, nope. Almost 90 days sober.

Originally Posted by JanieJ View Post
Welcome, Smarterchoices

Congratulations on your sober journey.

You' ll find nothing but support and understanding here.

Glad to have you with us.
Thank you! I like respectful debate and getting different points of view, I just can't stand rudeness or mocking. I am very optimistic about this community.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

In personal experience, I've never known when the urge will strike again. Remembering that "I don't" has saved me many a time. Keep on keeping on.

This is the best place.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done SC congrats for 90 day on Tuesday

Nice to meet you welcome to the forum
Old 12-06-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, congratulations on your extended sobriety.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome smarterchoices - congrats on your 90

D
Old 12-06-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR smarterchoices (SC)

As a freethinker I can appreciate your POV SC.

Smart Recovery REBT or I like DBT AVRT CBT as treatment's works very well for maintaining a life free from alcohol. Support from helping others like the folks here at SR (peer support) or at home with family and friends can improve your chances for sober living rather significantly. Being accountable to others in recovery helped me be honest about my recovery process.

As for AA, I have gone through a lot with the 12 step program HP/God and such. I concluded that my best fit with a recovery morality was also in the best interest for my emotional and mental health. There are many paths to sober living.
No one program or plan for healthy living free from the influence of alcohol is no better than the other.

Be well.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Smartchoices,

It sounds like you are well-aware that alcohol had been causing problems in your life and that stopping drinking would be the way to go. And, good for you for keeping an open mind as far as recovery choices. Whatever works for you is the way to go.