Notices

An "Episodic Alcohol Abuser"

Old 12-05-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An "Episodic Alcohol Abuser"

Well, I'm 12 days into sobriety and had a doctor's appointment today. Bloodwork results yet TBD but otherwise, a clean bill of health - this was clearly good news to me. One thing about the visit did stand out to me though: I described (to the doctor) my drinking history in a fair amount of detail and his conclusion was that I was neither alcoholic nor alcohol dependent but rather, an "episodic alcohol abuser."

Of course, in hearing this, my AV's ears perked up (wait, do AVs have ears?). Nevertheless, I know exactly what I am (an alcoholic) but the thought came to mind that it requires no label to decide what I already have: that my life will be infinitely better without alcohol. So with that said, on with sobriety!

Just thought I would share...
Old 12-05-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

They have all these names these days that aim to be more specific, but somehow end up meaning less. Go figure lol

'differently abled' D

D
Old 12-05-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What did your doctor mean by "Episodic Alcohol Abuser"? I've never heard that before.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 12 SoberD yes there are a lot of terms but for me knowing im alcoholic truly is a blessing lol at your 'does av have ears' line

and D response diffrently abled D made me smile its true the new names to be more specific ends up making less sense

Why is there so much terminology lol
Old 12-05-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Is there such a word as episodic ? S'pose there is now.

Great news that you got a clean bill of health, SoberD
Old 12-05-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sound like another way to say binge drinker to me.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

binge drinkers has been added to the new DSM (diagnostic and statistical manual which defines medical ailments) under alcoholism.....

only you can say whether or not you are an alcoholic.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissOverIt View Post
What did your doctor mean by "Episodic Alcohol Abuser"? I've never heard that before.
I haven't either but he seemed pretty firm in his conviction that he didn't just make it up

Presumably, what it means it that since I am a binge drinker (typically 2-4 days/week), my alcohol abuse pattern occurs in "episodes"; hence "episodic"...

A better description would probably be "Lunatic an a Bender Drinker"
Old 12-05-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
binge drinkers has been added to the new DSM (diagnostic and statistical manual which defines medical ailments) under alcoholism.....

only you can say whether or not you are an alcoholic.
Yes, I have no delusions - call it whatever fancy name you want but the fact is when I start drinking, I'm like a runaway freight train that can't be stopped...Alcoholic in every sense of the word..
Old 12-05-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do think it's great that you know that alcohol is a problem in your life. Labels are unimportant, but getting well is what it's all about.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Does this mean that since I only have periodic "episodes" of drinking that I'm not an alcoholic? Does this mean that alcohol is only an occasional problem and that I'm just making a big deal out of nothing? Whew, what a relief!!!! Now I can drink myself silly over the weekend and just see it as an episode. Let the good times roll!!!! Now, when I go to an AA meeting, instead of me saying John, alcoholic, I can say John an episodic drinker. The BB thumpers would go crazy over this. LMAO
JUST KIDDING GUYS!!!!!!!! It's Friday night and am in a silly mood. John
Old 12-05-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It never seems to end with just the episodes.

There's the series, the reruns, the sequels, the novels-based-on, and the video-game-tie-ins.

Not to mention the syndication and character licensing (especially the bobble-heads).
Old 12-05-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
It never seems to end with just the episodes.

There's the series, the reruns, the sequels, the novels-based-on, and the video-game-tie-ins.

Not to mention the syndication and character licensing (especially the bobble-heads).
LOL...nice one Lexie
Old 12-05-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's pretty common, I haven't met many people who were doing the alcoholic thing within a few years of "episodic alcohol abuse".... That's how it starts and daily abuse is how it ends up after a decade or two.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with Lexie, this disease is progressive & cunning. I found my binges turning into every night drinking and then every day drinking...then day and night drinking. It is sneaky...my life became unmanageable. I am working right now to pull it all back together..it is not easy, but so worth it. Best wishes for you as you go forward.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

SoberD, I was an "episodic abuser" as well Makes little difference though, because I needed to quit drinking - period.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've had periods of episodic drinking.

My episodes would last from the time I cracked a beer open first thing in the morning when I woke up, until the time I finally passed out at the end of a day of continual drinking.

(Sarcasm voice at full volume) - What a relief it is to hear that, that's not alcoholic behavior, but episodic drinking. Phew, since I'm only doing this 4 day's a week, I'm not an alcoholic. (Sarcasm voice off).

Personally, I think your doctor's comments are harmful. What he did is legitimize, with his medical opinion, continued denial.