Yes, ok, I do need therapy!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yes, ok, I do need therapy!

In my last thread,a few of you kindly suggested that it might be time for a little therapy. I had lots of support from people when the crisis first hit. Two plus years later, I am still in a huge jam and am much more tired, broke and alone in it all. I have tried so so hard!!!!!!! But lots of promising starts turned to dead ends.

And xah is steadily getting more selfish and removed from reality.

Plus I have this man in my life and I can't figure out sometimes if everything is going okay. I don't see him too often because of our schedules and that is a good thing because I want to keep things light and sweet. But recently I feel that I turn everything around in my head and I can't just chill and accept his gifts and effort and attention. Instead I am busy scanning for reasons to mistrust him. I don't know which end is up today!!!

Driving myself nuts!!!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All I can say is that therapy changed my life for the better in countless ways. I went to it in crisis, stuck with it in recovery, took a break and am back now as I was finally ready to deal with some further affects of growing up with an alcoholic parent. I hope it is as good an experience for you as it is for me, Pippi! It is such a good gift to give yourself.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pippi, you have went through an extremely lot to not be doing therapy in my opinion. I realize it may be a bit different, but with some searching I hope you can find someone who fits for you.

XXX
Old 12-05-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nodding here. Therapy -- if you can find a good therapist -- is great.

What helped me a lot was... you know how you sometimes get stuck with your mind running in circles? Therapy helped me reframe my thoughts, get out of the rut, sort of "walk around the elephant to the other side" and see that it wasn't just a giant ass, it had a trunk and ears and stuff!

I resisted therapy at first because I thought therapy=psychoanalysis (that's what it was when I was growing up). Finding a therapist who was able to work with me on changing thinking patterns and behaviors was really helpful!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think its a good idea. I have seen therapists at different points in my life and it has always been beneficial.

(((hugs))).
Old 12-05-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope you can find peace n stability in your life Pippi.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Good for you, Pip.

The Steps Group had me go back for a Pass-and-Review, too.

Part of the Process.

Step 2: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pippi,

I mean this with love. When I read you post title, I said out loud "no sh*t." Glad you are open to it. I think it will make a world of difference.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pippi-

Therapy is the best gift I have ever given myself. I am worth every penny I have spent on it (and you will be too).

My mind would be so nuts that then I would be worried about why my mind was spinning so much.....it was enough to put me over the edge.

I no longer live that way. I can actually tell when something is bothering me because the rest of the noise is gone and I have only one thing going around. It was amazing when I realized how much lower the noise level was.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Short-term therapy when dealing with emotional "road blocks" really helped me to process and move on much faster.

When I dug deep and truly "did the work", however, it was mentally and emotionally exhausting--oddly also a relief.