Thread in Newcomers to Recovery

Old 12-05-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thread in Newcomers to Recovery

There is a thread I thought a few people here might be interested in, because we are always asking WHY,

It is called, "Why I Drink,"

People are commenting their reasons.

Just thought I would point this out b/c so many on F&F want to know WHY.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I like the post on that thread that said something like: "I drank; the reasons to drink followed." (Loosely quoted) I read the newcomers and alcoholism forums as much, if not more than I do the friends and family forum. I sometimes even send the link to myself in text message form then read or give it to AH to read. He hates technology and doesn't know how to do much with the Internet. He does appreciate me doing this. But even if some of your friends/family are not receptive to this, it's still highly helpful for me to read the alcohol forums and recommend that everyone of us on friends and family do so. I guess I just assumed we all did. But thanks for pointing it out to those who may not have considered looking there.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i didnt need a reason to drink i just drank and got drunk somthing that i wished i never did but i had no control over drink once i put the stuff into my system

so reasons dont mean a thing its what happens to me when i take a drink that i focus on hence i dont pick up that first drink and i can not get drunk makes so much sense to me

i wasn't the kind of alcoholic that needed a reason, i guess i have plenty of excuses as to why i could pick up that first drink
Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't know that the Newcomers forum is the best place to learn why alcoholics drink. To the extent there are people with some real distance from their drinking (and some real recovery backing it up), it might be useful. People who are just days or weeks, or even a few months from their last drink are still confused about why they did.

And anyway, the reasons I drank in the first place are much different from the reasons I drank at the end of my drinking. Once that line gets crossed, it's more like survival drinking.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

reminds me of the saying:

First the man takes a drink
Then the drink takes a drink
Then the drink takes the man

why do you drink?

why not?
what time is it?
cuz i wanna
Old 12-05-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are a lot of those people in Newcomers who have been there for a long time.

My point was in this that there is not always some huge underlying mental reason. Sometimes it is just boredom or the choice of living that lifestyle.

I think sometimes here at F&F we all overanalyze the WHY in other people.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, "why" is probably useless when it comes to other peoples' isms.

I drank to numb out and to have fun. Later I drank because I had to in order to escape the crippling fear and anxiety that the alcohol caused. I felt I had to - well, I did actually have to if I wanted to squash that anxiety and shut up my brain.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
torquemax777

However, reading some of the posts from the other forums here; alcoholism, new comers, marijuana, etc... Can give us who do not struggle with substances a greater perspective and insight in to the issues that revolve around it. Kinda like getting to hear both sides of a story. I also like it when sober alcoholics post on friends and family.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can take or leave most things. I used to like pills quite a bit when I injured my neck and wouldn't use the pills according to the label and took them when my pain wasn't really that bad. But once the scripts ran out- it was game over. You know? I never took to the streets and bought black market or anything. I have had doctors offer me more and I have been able to say, no thanks. That feels good.

I've never been one of those people to get wasted. I don't like it when my head spins or I can't walk straight, or slur my words. But I never minded having my perception altered slightly. Still functional, just not really 100% "there". I am having to evaluate that in my life right now, and some of the reasons on why they drink are some of the reasons I like my perceptions altered. So maybe I can relate more than I think.