Who Knew? A New Marijuana Forum!

Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Who Knew? A New Marijuana Forum!

I just discovered a new forum (due to 53500) here, on SR!

I see some pretty interesting discussions on there.

Just wanted to share the new info........

dandylion
Old 12-05-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I attend a lawyers' group (Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers) that is neither AA nor NA but sort of a "vestibule" group for lawyers, judges, law students, law professors just coming to grips with an addiction problem. The other regular attendee besides me is a guy who is in NA for his marijuana addiction. It affected his life in the same negative ways that other addictions do.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks, dandylion! If you talk to Dee74, one of our mods, he will tell you he ruined his life just as completely with marijuana as with alcohol. He, I believe, was also behind the new forum. Here's the link if anyone would like to browse:

NEW! Marijuana Addiction - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 12-05-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

dandylion, thanks for doing this! And Seren thanks for posting the link. It didn't occur to me.

This forum is so educational, it's really been an eye opener to me and explains a lot about my ex-friend. I think the general impression is that marijuana is harmless and not addictive but that is very wrong, based on the stories from the recovering addicts.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Addiction is addiction is addiction. Since CO legalized recreational marijuana, the number of young able-bodied homeless people in the shelters has skyrocketed.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see this forum, too. I have a very, very dear friend who has struggled mightily with marijuana addiction. He has been sober and marijuana-free for several years now, but when he was in the depths of it, he called it his "best friend, and his worst enemy."
Old 12-05-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How timely! I think it's going to be interesting on what happens in society (and legally) as weed becomes more Mainstream. Being medically legal in many many states and now recreationally legal in two is just the tip of the iceburg.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To me, the difference between medical cannabis products and recreational marijuana is sort of like the difference between using morphine as pain relief in a hospital setting and using it as a "recreational" drug.

I think it's unfortunate that the two have been linked. I've seen many state legislators flinch at legalizing the medical use of cannabis-derived oils because they don't support recreational use.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I've seen many state legislators flinch at legalizing the medical use of cannabis-derived oils because they don't support recreational use.
You've definitely got that right! It's not your "Grandpa's weed" anymore, that's for sure!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, that's one side of it -- that grandpa's weed was low-grade and today's pot is high-octane.

But more than that -- there's a lack of knowledge about cannabis, and it's often assumed that all parts of the plant are high-inducing. I mean, I've even had people balk at a purse I have that's made from hemp. Like "wow, aren't you worried about walking around with that...?"

There are chemical compounds in cannabis oil that treat seizure disorders better than any FDA-approved medication, and with much fewer side effects. Most of those are free of THC, the intoxicating agent. They're being used experimentally in Colorado, and I've seen disabled children who used to be drugged into an almost vegetative state start talking, sitting, standing, laughing and seizure-free while on CBD oil. Outlawing that use would be cruel.

But that doesn't mean I'm in any way supportive of the willy-nilly "medical" use someone mentioned in another post.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Most of those are free of THC, the intoxicating agent. They're being used experimentally in Colorado, and I've seen disabled children who used to be drugged into an almost vegetative state start talking, sitting, standing, laughing and seizure-free while on CBD oil. Outlawing that use would be cruel..
I agree. There are medical alternatives using cannabis for litgit medical needs that don't give the high.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We will regret Legalizing Marijuana. Marijuana is as bad for you as Heroin, I don't care if it's a green plant. There are so many negative side affects.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

What other people decide between them and their Dr is up to them.

If (god forbid) I ever need more pain relief than I do now, I'm going to explore the many other options rather than marijuana cos with my pot history it feels right for me to do that

D
Old 12-07-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
We will regret Legalizing Marijuana. Marijuana is as bad for you as Heroin, I don't care if it's a green plant. There are so many negative side affects.

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, BUT...

If someone wanted to just take over a country without firing a shot, wouldn't this be the way to do it?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm all for medical marijuana.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Prohibition didn't work on alcohol. It just generated revenue for organized crime syndicates. Doctors could legally prescribe booze back then too.
There will always be a small percentage of the population that abuses or becomes addicted to certain substances.
My mom was a marijuana addict for many years self medicating her schizophrenia. The fact that it was illegal just added another layer of dysfunction to my childhood because I was always terrified she'd get busted and we'd have to live full time with my alcoholic father.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Everyone who drinks is not an alcoholic as many of the posters of friends and family still occasionally drink even after the hell they went through with their A. Not everyone who smokes marijuana becomes a pot head or an addict. Just sayin'
Old 12-07-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm in California and am actually pro legalization. There are soooo many people here that buy, use and sell weed illegally that I think it makes more sense to make it legal simply because it's apparently going to happen whether we want it to or not. What it comes down to is money, really. Does the tax revenue significantly help the state and local governments? What can be funded with that extra stream of tax revenue? Also, if it's no longer illegal then we can stop putting the people who do it in jail. Bring in more money, spend less money. Sounds like a smart move. Especially since the majority of the population are not addicts. I think it also makes the trade less dangerous since it's a legitimate business.

Like it was said above, an addict is an addict is an addict. Make alcohol and weed illegal…an addict will find something else that is legal and mind altering to avoid dealing with life. How about huffing paint or bath salts or glues? Where there is a will there is a way.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I second everything stung said. Heard Colorado has raked in over $50 million since marijuana went retail within the last year.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I live in Sonoma County, which has its fair share of marijiana growing. I'd like to see it legalized and regulated. The crime that comes with prohibition is scary.