Notices

Strange Physical Changes

Old 12-05-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange Physical Changes

Hello,

I am almost 2 weeks sober and have noticed many significant changes, but ones that I knew about before, like losing the bags under your eyes, skin tone improving, etc.

But I am noticing some other unexpected and strange happenings, such as:

I am now able to curl my toes when I couldn't before (weird, I know).
I no longer have pains between my shoulder blades (which used to scare me).

Would love to hear what others are experiencing and hope that you will share.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My back is hurting less. I think it's because I am not sitting slumped in a chair for hours and hours and hours.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
My back is hurting less. I think it's because I am not sitting slumped in a chair for hours and hours and hours.
Smart: That's interesting, maybe my back pain was due to the same. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was told I'd have to take acid reducer for the rest of me life do to a hiatal hernia. All symptoms gone! Lower BP, skin cleared, less knee pain and the obvious cleared up liver. I guess poisoning yourself with ethanol reeks all kinds of havoc.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by esinger View Post
I was told I'd have to take acid reducer for the rest of me life do to a hiatal hernia. All symptoms gone! Lower BP, skin cleared, less knee pain and the obvious cleared up liver. I guess poisoning yourself with ethanol reeks all kinds of havoc.
What is acid reducer, esinger? Now that you mention it, I just remembered that I haven't been having acid reflux in the middle of the night anymore, well at least not as much. Is that what acid reducer is for? I mean, is that related to hiatal hernia? AND, now that you mention BP, yes, mine has been high - I wonder if it has gone down.

Whew! Thanks, this is valuable information!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Acid reducer is that I was taking was Nexium which is a proton pump inhibiter. Hiatal hernia is a condition that lets acid leak into your esophagus and causes reflux. (short explanation) ALWAYS check with a doctor before discontinuing medication.
Two weeks is great! I think the longer you go the more benefits you will notice.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it only gets better!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Back pain for me too. It can be caused from inflammation which the excessive alcohol causes. Of your organs and gut.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am freaked out right now about what I have been doing to my body. But also very hopeful, and I am learning a lot thanks to all of you! This inspires me to stay sober, which is a good inspiration to have on a Friday!
Old 12-05-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Inflammation is always a huge problem for me when I am drinking. I can feel it inside and out. After a good night of binging, I sometimes couldn't close my hands into a fist. I also had chronic back pain that is already subsiding at 7 days sober.

So scary that we let this all go on for so long.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had the back thing too, which has now gone away.
My hair is softer and I keep on being told I have a glow about me now (guess my skin looks better).
Old 12-05-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also could not close my hands into a fist. I feel sorry for our poor hearts and livers...working so hard against all odds.

So interesting to learn how many of us had problems with our backs! That really tells the tale, doesn't it.

My hair is feeling softer too, strategery. But I wonder if that's because I am actually washing it more than twice a week these days! LOL

Gross to admit, but I couldn't cope with hygiene during the worst times. I'd run my fingers through my hair, put some moisturizer on my face, and head into work. I'll bet everyone wondered why I was such a wreck most days.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My hair was always super dry even with washing it. It did not matter how much moisture conditioner I used, oils, etc, it was always dry, brittle and not soft at all. I tried everything to make it more moist when I was drinking without any success. I never thought the dryness had anything to do with my alcohol consumption, but I think it had everything to do with my alcohol consumption now.
After a week of quitting, there was one day I was just feeling my hair all day since I couldn't believe how soft it was.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JetIonic View Post

I am now able to curl my toes when I couldn't before (weird, I know).
sounds like sobriety is working well for you

keep it going

MB
Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on your near 2 weeks sober Jetlonic
Old 12-05-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

After a good binge and not bathing for a few days my face would be dry and flakey. My first shower after that I would rake my fingernails down my cheeks to try and exfoliate a little bit. I would have great wads of dead skin under my nails. Then, after that and shaving, my face was still dry and flakey.

Now at 2 weeks it seems to be clearing up.

Climbing a flight of stairs would wind me. That is also getting better.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

massive alcohol consumption exacerbates inflammation, GERD, the acid in the booze, etc.

you are also probably getting more restful sleep and your body is starting to feel the benefits of absorbing nutrition from real food. some people state that their vision improves with better hydration.

congrats on your 2 weeks! start taking a selfie weekly. you will see even more changes.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh, and the cramps! Not just those annoying toe cramps everyone gets. I would have chest cramps, side cramps. Muscles I didn't know existed would cramp up! I had to be careful about how I moved because it might set off a horrific cramp at any moment.

I'm not missing that!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hadn't thought about cramps but yes that is true. I was getting them in my calves if I moved the wrong way in my sleep. Why did we drink???
Old 12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ah, yes. The dreaded calf cramps in bed. Been there. Wake up the next day feeling like I'd spent an entire day at the gym just working my calves! Good times (not really).