AA All the time???

Old 08-03-2004, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA All the time???

Hello everyone!
So...my friend has been has now been sober for 31 days. YAY! He seems well. Definately has his days though. The detox has prescribed all kinds of meds. From prozac to mood stabilizers to sleep aids and antibuse. ( not sure if I've spelled correctly) All of which are needed for the time being, I suppose, as well as his daily dose of AA meetings.

The first week, he attended every day. ( Might I add he is also going to an out patient rehab everyday for about five hrs.) At night he goes to the meetings. However, last week he missed two or three days in a row. I think now he's only been going every other day.

He explains that he hates the meetings. He hates walking in to hear everyone share because it brings him down. I haven't argued with him about it, only listened. He feels that he'd rather be with family or fishing or somewhere else keeping busy.

I suppose it is possible for these meetings to have the reverse effect on some. Especially considering he is attending outpatient every day too. Maybe it is overwhelming. My only concern is that it may be too soon for him to feel that way??? Does that make sense? Just hoping for any words of advise regarding this situation. What can I say to be encouraging without trying to force him to see he "needs" the meetings...when maybe he's right???

I dunno!
Thanks.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Faith 1 Like you "I dunno".
I might suspect he is not ready yet???? I have heard "Don't work their program".
With Rx's and out patient rehab 5 days, it could be a bit much.
but then again "in patient" would be meetings, groups etc. every day.
Well now I have confused you more no doubt, so best I shut up. Someone will come along with really good thoughts. HUGS clancy46
Old 08-03-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hey Faith,
Meetings are only a part of the AA program. They are the support and sharing of the steps and the way of life people adopt when they decide to apply the steps to themselves. If we aren't adopting the 12 step process, the meetings can be tedious and boring. It's like going to a class that is on a topic you aren't interested in. You may be right that he has taken on a lot, but that is what early recovery is like. Most peoples lives are somewhat in shambles before they start, so taking on anything else seems like a chore. Eventually, we will have to get through that time or accept the results of alcoholism. I hope your friend can make it work. He and you are in my prayers. Hugs, Magic
Old 08-03-2004, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Clancy and Magic.
Hugs to you both!