He's constantly angry

Old 12-02-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He's constantly angry

Wow its been a stressful ride I'll tell ya. I posted several weeks ago about my brother who is off the hook. I'll save every detail for now, but 5 weeks ago he went to the hospital for 5 days. A day after he got out I found a bottle of liquor. 4 weeks later he's in bad mental shape as well as physically. We got him back in the hospital again last Saturday. He's very angry with us (me, our father and a few friends) for what we "did to him". He's been consistent with saying, "I'm gonna get all of you when I'm strong again....you think I'm joking". They won't give him any narcotics due to his liver damage. He says he's "red flagged" at the hospital we took him to and he had plans to go to another where they'll give him pain killers. But......he was "about to go in" ad nauseum. So we did what we had to do and get his tail in! It wasn't good having him living out of a truck in his condition AND with a sloppy steering column. Bad bad combo.
He's been in for 3 days, will the evil stares and threats subside or could he be hell bent on revenge? I know it's a hard to answer question just wondering if anyone had similar threats.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi..
this sounds like what folks around here call "quacking". it is what the A does when they're not in recovery and want to find someone else to blame and rage against. the solution is to not give them an audience for it. if he continues to threaten you make sure to tell the hospital staff so they don't release him. if you're worried about him carrying out threats my best suggestion is to take care of yourselves - what would you do if a stranger said the same things to you and you felt in danger?
Unfortunately, he doesn't sound ready or willing for treatment, regardless of how bad of shape he's in. Have you considered Al-Anon meetings for your own support?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was said by our marriage and addiction counselor...when "R"AH now ex was angry....

'Anger typically decreases with sobriety. 3 months sober you should have already seen less anger.'

Translation.... My ex was still drinking even though he was saying he was sober.

For your situation...interpret this to mean...he is going to be angry ...it is part of it.

Sorry. Stay well.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah its quacking. Certainly any person has the potential to be dangerous I guess so I would be careful. Maybe would be best to give him his space now and let him calm it down some.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He's very angry with us (me, our father and a few friends) for what we "did to him".
I don't know where in the world you are, but I know that in the US, you can't "commit" an adult against their will for more than 72 hours -- and you can do that only if they're deemed a danger against themselves or someone else. So if you're in the US, he's full of it; he could check himself out and walk out of there at any time.

I would take the anger and threats seriously. Simply because protecting myself is the most important thing. And because I've lived under death threats for years and know they can be very real.

Have you considered simply letting thing go and letting him take care of himself? He's clearly not appreciating you meddling in his situation, so you could choose to not do that anymore.