Notices

My first post

Old 12-02-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first post

9 years of living in a bottle have to come to a stop. Another fight with my child ended in tears - tears that should not have been shed, anger for no reason. I'm losing my battle against the bottle, my family, and my job. Each day it's the same, a vow to myself never to drink again, to be a better mother and wife, only to succumb to the bottle at the end of the day... I am joining this chat room as I now need help - I am finally admitting that I cannot stop this abuse on my own!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

SoberRecovery is the same as AA--it works if you work it. Read around and post often!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is the first step! Which is a huge one. Welcome to SR, it's nice to meet you

Jennifer
Old 12-02-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!! You are in a great place. Keep posting and start developing your program. I truly believe each person succeeds differently.
Hugs!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I was the same way for many years - every morning I'd swear off it. I'd berate myself in the mirror and in the car on my way to work. Dammit man, get your **** together!

Every evening I'd stop on my way home and get a bottle. The few evenings I didn't stop I'd be pacing my house like a caged animal, irritable, anxious, and a battle raging in my head.

You can woop this Hopeful2013! I did. It took me some time, but I beat it. You can, too.

Welcome to the fight of your life.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job on your first post. I'm on, yet another, day one but I've got a better plan and like you just did, I reached out for help. The trick is using that help. I got some work done today and tossed the empty, hidden bottles (which I broke down and told my husband about yesterday).

I will not drink today. I will wake up tomorrow morning and make that same declaration.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Admitting that you cannot stop on your own is a HUGE step. It took me a long time to admit that to myself and of course anyone else. At first, I felt weak and embarrassed, but after seeking out help and getting sober, I have been amazed out how many people in my life have told me how proud they are of me and how it took so much courage to do what I did. Just know that you can turn your life around and there are so many people out there that want to help you, it is just a matter of asking for that help!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to everyone who have posted their support. I can tell that this site is going to make a tremendous difference to my recovery. Tonight I will keep this site open, keep reading and posting, and seriously hope that tomorrow I can bring a happy update to you and not disappear too embarrassed that I failed to make even my first night alcohol and fight free! Thank you again.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fight of my life!

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I was the same way for many years - every morning I'd swear off it. I'd berate myself in the mirror and in the car on my way to work. Dammit man, get your **** together!

Every evening I'd stop on my way home and get a bottle. The few evenings I didn't stop I'd be pacing my house like a caged animal, irritable, anxious, and a battle raging in my head.

You can woop this Hopeful2013! I did. It took me some time, but I beat it. You can, too.

Welcome to the fight of your life.
Thank you for responding, you are correct, this is the fight of my life! I hope this time I win the battle and can change things with my family before it is too late.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Hopeful
Old 12-02-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum hopefull2013,

acknowledging it and accepting it are the keys to beginning a life without drinking.

Know that you will never be able to drink again. Accept it as a fact. It is so much easier to plan going forward without having any doubts about it. It is never an option. Not in a week a month or a year. Even after ten years if I start drinking again I know where I'll end up. So I accepted that it is forever. It is so much easier knowing that. And whichever path you choose to remain sober, unless you understand that, you might as well be playing roulette.

Welcome.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Hopeful2013 View Post
9 years of living in a bottle have to come to a stop. Another fight with my child ended in tears - tears that should not have been shed, anger for no reason. I'm losing my battle against the bottle, my family, and my job. Each day it's the same, a vow to myself never to drink again, to be a better mother and wife, only to succumb to the bottle at the end of the day... I am joining this chat room as I now need help - I am finally admitting that I cannot stop this abuse on my own!
Glad you're here!!!
This is the SR 24 hour thread - many of us commit daily to another 24hours, one day at a time of sobriety!!!

Great way to make a lot of new friends fast!!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-27-a.html

Keep coming back, make a plan of ACTION!
You never have to drink again
Old 12-02-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here. Post here if you have the urge to drink. Post instead.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 12-02-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Hopeful2013 View Post
I will win the battle.
Fixed your post.

I found having a plan to be very helpful. You will feel like drinking again. Plan now for that moment. What will you do when you feel like drinking?

Waiting until the urge was upon me to find something to do was reactive. Knowing in advance what I was going to do made me proactive. Having the initiative in this battle tipped the scales in my favor.

We all have a point of discouragement. It is what you do when you hit that point that makes the difference between mastery and slavery.

You can do this.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hopeful,

As the son of someone that passed away before her time due to alcoholic cirrhosis I will say that this is an amazing first step.

I often wonder what could have happened if my mother were ever to admit her problem earlier on in her alcohol abuse.

I am overwhelmed with hope for you and your children. You can absolutely be the mother they deserve and the one you deserve to be for yourself.

You are a beautiful person and you can make this happen. Bless you for starting down the path of healing and reclamation.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am also a mother and wife. I think our fears are compounded with worry of losing our family. It's a vicious cycle. But we can end it here and now. This is the right place to be.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You can reclaim your life and have a wonderful new beginning. Welcome to SR hopeful. We're so glad you found us. You're never alone.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, Hopeful! We are all here to support you. Thanks for posting, and please continue to read and respond to posts as much as you can.