Notices

The craziness of it

Old 12-02-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The craziness of it

So, on day one, feel pretty yuck but I'm doing ok. I need to leave in an hour or so to get my daughter. I'll be ok, straight there, straight back. THEN the crazy starts. I could just grab a six pack. I mean, I do feel bad and I can fix this, I can make this feel better, just a couple beers.

What is that??? I'm not going to do it, no concern of that now but the fact that the little whisper is already trying. Good Lord, get me through this. I can tell that voice to shut up right now but what about in a week? In a week it will be saying "see, you're fine, bad day at work or maybe good day or maybe because it's Wednesday, just grab a six pack"
Old 12-02-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is your Addictive voice speaking.

Separate what YOU want with what IT wants. IT, is primal in it's needs. The end choice is yours, you have control to not pick up or stop for the beers at the store.

Get your daughter, then some ice-cream with her ;-)
Old 12-02-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, great that you decided to give sobriety a chance. What you are experiencing (that we often call "AV") is your brain craving the effects of alcohol. There are many threads and tips here on SR about how to deal with cravings. Try a few and stick with it no matter what. The desire will subside with continued sobriety, become less intense and frequent.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know, kind of just surprised that it spoke up today. It truly is craziness isn't it?

I will break this pattern. I will not drink today and I'll keep repeating that each day that I get out of bed. I will post here if the voice gets too loud. I will do this.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I sometimes have conversation with my AV. I tell it to shut the hell up!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah it definitely felt like losing my mind sometimes in the early days, at times so much that I felt like killing myself thinking I can't survive that every day. My cravings were also often unpredictable and not necessarily related to specific triggers. Posting here is good, also talking to others directly as a distraction.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by JayEl View Post

I will break this pattern. I will not drink today and I'll keep repeating that each day that I get out of bed. I will post here if the voice gets too loud. I will do this.
Hi JayEl,

We will all support you.

Glad you found us.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey JayEl-

First I wanted to offer my support on you first day. Yes it can REALLY suck, as I know all too well. The only thing I can suggest is to just hang tough (unless you feel that you need medical attention). The physical aspects will taper off, which you might even notice within the first week. Then the mental part of it will need attention.
...see, you're fine, bad day at work or maybe good day or maybe because it's Wednesday, just grab a six pack"
This is something that you'll have to develop a strong mindset against doing. If you in fact want to quit drinking, then booze can never be part of the equation. I mean avoid even pondering on it- period.

I think once you have the mindset that booze is just not part of your life any longer, then hopefully those temptations will begin to tapper off. I was a pretty heavy drinker for years, but that's sort of how I went about it, and thus far it seems to be working. However I still have to work at it, even after 16 months, but it's not nearly as bad as when I first started.

This is a good thing that you are doing, and I wish you well.

Lusher
Old 12-02-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yea, like I posted in your other thread = acceptance and willingness are the keys. Without these another helpful thing that helps some quit is incarceration.

If I had a bad day, I am alcoholic who had a bad day. If I had a good day, I am an alcoholic who had a good day. Either way, I am an alcoholic and do not drink because I became willing and accepted that I cannot drink. The rest is noise.......

Wish you the best of luck! You can do this and are so worth it!!!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi I'm on day 20 and the first days were really tough, and I read so many posts on here saying it gets better and hang in there, and I thought to myself yeh right none of you could have felt like I do now then. But they I was wrong and they were right I felt 2 major change points in how I felt, they came at day 3 and a big one when I got up the morning of day 7. Then each day got better, got a little bit more sleep started to have a healthy interest in food and made positive choices on food rather than just cram down the nearest easiest thing so I could carry on drinking, I know it's hard and I'm only on the start of my journey but it really does feel worth it already. You can do it I promise