Notices

Trying to do it right this time

Old 12-02-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to do it right this time

Today is day two for me. I'm not sure what to do so I thought I'd try posting. Don't know what to write so I'm just gonna type. I'm 46 and been down this road before. Out patient in patient meds AA etc but have never opened up in my 31 years of drinking and more. Been diagnosed over the course of my life with oppositional defiant disorder, ADHD, depressed, bipolar, learning disabled, personality disorder. Doing this online makes it easier. I'll bullet what's on my mind
Feel like crap, head hurts, anxious, restless, depressed, out of control and sad
Angry at myself at what I'm doing to my family
Embarassed that my loved ones have a piece of garbage husband, father and son
Hopeless that I will stay sober for any real amount of time, never have before
Don't know who I am, never have, and afraid that if I am successful in being sober I'll find that I'm the same piece of ++++ I am drunk.
Writing this makes me feel worse but I don't know what else to do.
I spent a good deal of time reading posts on this site yesterday and I do want to say thank you to all the people who take the time to help others.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Goliath this is normal to feel like this during WD

Trust me sobriety is worth it i remember feeling how you are now itl be ok

keep reading and relating ....if i was getting a bad deal out of sobriety do you think id be sober ? im 12 days away from 17 months sober trust me you can do this

nice to meet you
well done on day 2
Old 12-02-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You're trying to stop drinking by doing things differently this time and that's good. Posting what's going on with you is a good way to begin. It may feel uncomfortable at first but you are likely to get some input that will be quite useful.
All the best to you.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Goliath, glad you posted with your feelings.

Look forward to reading your posts.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Things get better. Slowly. Just never forget how quickly things can get much worse.

Read around and post often!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We're in the same boat Golliath, this is also my first day posting so I am also not sure where to go from here. I know exactly how you feel as I feel the same way about myself. I hope sometime in the future to be able to provide support to the newcomers, as people are providing support to us today. We'll see....
Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Embarassed that my loved ones have a piece of garbage husband, father and son". This, my friend, can be a thing of the past. Keep your head up and know that you are doing the RIGHT thing by not drinking. Seek help from others and stay focused on sobriety and living a healthier life for you and your family
Old 12-02-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Goliath68-

The fact that you're taking the time to spend in here, as well as post, is a good thing. Day-2 can be very challenging, so why not use this forum to the fullest?

I think once the initial withdrawals begin to taper off, you'll begin to feel a bit better. At least physically. However, there is the whole mental aspect, which you've elluded to in your post.

From reading your post, it seems as if you're down on yourself for the way that alcohol as altered your life in a negative way. Perhaps use that as a learning lesson, but then focus on the future <sober> you. This is something that you can accept, and use as your inner strength as you enter your recovery.

Rather than looking so down on it all, perhaps more of an optimistic approach might help you to feel better? I mean challenge yourself. Make some changes in your lifestyle, which can help fill the void where alcohol was. Many people opt for a fitness plan or other activities.

In-other-words:
"...to create a life where alcohol just didn't belong." ~(Ethos23)
This IS something that can be fixed, but you'll have to commit to it. This is a good day for the 'new' you. Tomorrow will be better if you stay the course, and so on.

I wish you the best with your continued progress.

Lusher
Old 12-02-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't thank you all enough for you support and encouragement. It feels amazing. A funny thing about the exercise idea...I can't do anything in moderation..addict to the core. I lifted so much that I went from 185-228 lbs in a year. Couldn't fit into any clothes and couldn't tie my own tie in the morning because my arms wouldn't bend that far anymore. The genius I am I now have a hernia and need surgery...maybe I'll start to run and change my screen name to forest gump