Notices

Day one anxiety/jitters

Old 12-02-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one anxiety/jitters

I wrote this absolutely positive post when I joined last night and knew I would need to go back and read it. It's not even 7 am - most mornings, I would not even be drinking for an hour at least, so I don't know what my problem is but I'm about to pull my hair out. I'm full of anxiety and I'm restless and just now in the shower, I already thought 'hm, should have a drink today just to calm my nerves, then begin PERFECTLY tomorrow'. I know that whole notion of perfection is a big one for me.

Anyway, I'm writing this because I don't want to drink. I want to do it differently, I don't want to give up. I'm pretty scared, nevertheless.

I offered a prayer to those in the Class of December thread earlier this am, when I was full of optimism. Perhaps I need your prayers instead, lol!

I am off to work. I will check in. There is a lot of wisdom and encouragement here.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alright.... You've got my prayer. And here on gratitude Tuesday you have my gratitude as well. Your sharing helps me stay sober today, remembering those days when it was such a struggle just to not drink that day.

You can do this.... It gets easier and it gets better.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sending positive energy to you Cher.
Great job for posting first. Before you leave work, check in and let us know how it's going. And if you feel the urge, tell us. Tell us. Tell us. Before you decide to pick up a drink, tell us about it first. Good luck with the day.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Cher! Sounds familiar...

I would panic if I didn't think I had enough alcohol around to 'do the job' properly for that particular drinking session. If I ran out and hadn't had enough to allow me to pass out, my anxiety would go through the roof. If I had plenty in the house, I could often drink a lot less, knowing it was there if I 'needed' it.

Madness!

Welcome, see you around SR.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you and have played that broken record in my head more times than I care to remember, tomorrow's a better plan, or next Monday, or...
Yesterday as a matter of fact. Started by calling in to work. Sore throat (it couldn't be the 18 beers I drank on Sunday, right?). By 9, I think I knew I was going to drink, just to take the edge off and get through. By 10 I was at the store. The whole drive there I was a mess. Screaming inside my own head "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???" That starting to slide away about 3 beers in but wait... It's only 11:30am and why oh why did I only get a six pack??? I know why, I couldn't think through hiding an empty 12 pack. Back to the store (different store of course).
It was a terrible, sickening day. A worse night as I made up my mind to talk to my husband.
We can do this! There is no need for perfect, but there is no drinking.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Sending positive energy to you Cher.
Great job for posting first. Before you leave work, check in and let us know how it's going. And if you feel the urge, tell us. Tell us. Tell us. Before you decide to pick up a drink, tell us about it first. Good luck with the day.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very good advice here. Stay close here today....all day.
You can do it.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the messages, guys. I ran to the washroom just to check this. I do have an urge. But I don't want to act on it. I've already eaten chocolate and it's not 9 am. I keep telling myself first things first, over and over. I will absolutely keep checking in this morning and check other threads if this one stays still.

And man, JayEl - thank you for writing that. You're telling my story and it really helps to see it in writing because it's insanity, it really is, what we put ourselves through for a (in my case) short-lived escape from reality... And a return to an even worse reality.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for starting this thread! It helped me to put together the sequence of events from yesterday and, yes, see just how crazy it is. We can get through today, then tomorrow will be another today. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sending thoughts & prayers BC
Old 12-02-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cher,

A Gentle Hug for you.

Just don't pick up that first drink. Period.

Pray and keep coming here. Sending prayers your way. You CAN do this.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi.
I gladly send a prayer in your direction as I remember how much it helped me in my time of need.
I hope you have a plan and a way to keep your thinking positive in the course of the day, I used the fellowship meetings for a lot of support and guidance.
It’s interesting that most seem to know what to do however too quickly give up to the monster alcohol, but one day at a time in a row is so simple and it works, if we work it.

BE WELL