Notices

help. struggling

Old 12-01-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help. struggling

i was a benzo and iv heroin addict. 3 rehabs and 5 psych hospitals later ive been clean for almost 2 years. but im homeless. and because of that i cant find work.

i dont want to go to crime. or back to using. but i dont know of any other options. are there work farm programs or any kind of program that offers work for food and shelter so i can get on my feet?

i know there are programs like i mentioned offered to people transitioning from jail. so im thinking of commiting a crime to get put away so i can get some help. i dont know what else to do..
Old 12-01-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't commit a crime just to get help! That would put you in a bad spot. Google your situation locally and see what comes up.

I hope you can use the support here to stay clean and get back on your feet.

Welcome to the family.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Where do u live? Is there a Salvation Army u can go to? They offer a lot of help with employment where I am. Don't do anything rash, please.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanx for the welcome. ive already been in a bad spot. ive lost everything. marriage. cars. house. i dont own any possessions. i have nothing. i have nobody. i have nowhere to go. at this current time jail doesnt sound that bad
Old 12-01-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes there is a salvation army. i have heard somewhat about it. but i assume theres got to be insane waiting lists for anything like that. im going to try to contact them in the morning
Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good! Call until u can really talk to someone. In my town it can take up to a week to get in. Also, there are a number of halfway houses that will let u in if u can pee clean and they will help u get a job within a certain number of days. Do u go to meetings? U could always share during "burning desire" time what ur situation is. There are a few old timers at my AA group that have space in their homes for fellow people in recovery that need a place to stay temporarily. I can't tell u how many times I've heard of people finding help by sharing their plight at meetings. At least u have access to a phone and the Internet. I wish u blessings!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm praying for you. I know you have lost so much. May God bless you in your hour of need. I wish I could do more to help you. Please, don't give up. God can change things for us in the blink of an eye. Remain hopeful, my friend. Keep seeking higher ground.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

have you ever heard of WWOOF? It stands for "Willing Workers on Organic Farms." Basically you work on a farm in exchange for room and board. Could be a great way to get on your feet. I'm not sure where you live but the program is very popular and there might be an opening near you. It won't happen overnight, but it definitely can happen.

Are you accessing the Internet (for SR) at a library? A librarian might know about resources that are available to you, and if they don't, they certainly can help you find them.

I can only imagine how you feel. You are very, very strong for staying sober. The pain and confusion of your situation will pass in time, guaranteed. But a criminal conviction may not, and it will make things more difficult in the long run. Try not to panic. This will work out.

I second the suggestion of AA/NA. Whatever you think about the programs, there are likely to be people in the rooms who can help to connect you with resources. Plus there is often coffee and snacks.

Pulling for you. Don't give up. This too shall pass...
Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't assume there's long waiting lists until you ask

The Salvation Army Family Stores: Rehabilitation Program

Depending on where you live there could be any number of programmes to help you find shelter and/or work.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?...nning/homeless
http://www.voa.org/homeless-people
http://answers.usa.gov/system/templa...r-the-Homeless

(apologies if you're not in the US - seems like a reasonable gamble tho )

Stealing or going back to using are really terrible options - think harder

D
Old 12-01-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not sure from your info if u r in the usa or not. If u r you can put 211 and your state in your browser . There is info there on assistance programs. U can also dial 211 on your phone to talk to a person 24 hrsc a day. Just tell them basically what u told us and they may direct u to places that can help u get on your feet. Also contact your state social service office. And like D said don't assume there is a waiting list and surely don't under estimate the power of prayer faith and love. I will keep u in prayer and follow your story here on sr. I admire you for being able to stay sober through this... you r a winner! Keep posting I'm sure you will be given good advice from a lot of members.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You might even want to try asking a church. Not saying you have to believe, but there might be some quick and helpful direction there. I know my church in Seattle has a women's overnight shelter, and you'd never really know it, unless you knew it!

Stay safe and warm!!!

XXX
Old 12-01-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I reread your post and see you have been in psych and rehab. Well u just might be able to get social security benefits. Pm me if you would like to hear more on that subject and I will share. Also I agree doing a crime to get something u can get through the system ain't nogthing but the devil trying to steal peace and joy from your clean sober life. Do u have a place to stay for a lil bit why u try to set up some of the things that have been suggested?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Check out catholic charities can google it. Also united way, city team ... things r just popping up in my mind. In the past I have had to use them for food, heat and utilities. I lost 2 great paying jobs due to a dual diagnosis. Slowly getting it together though. My testimony is gaining a lil more steam everyday.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I reread your post and see you have been in psych and rehab. Well u just might be able to get social security benefits. Pm me if you would like to hear more on that subject and I will share. Also I agree doing a crime to get something u can get through the system ain't nogthing but the devil trying to steal peace and joy from your clean sober life. Do u have a place to stay for a lil bit why u try to set up some of the things that have been suggested?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Try to see if there is a telemarketing or Labor Ready job right now. It might not be much, but I seen a lot of people get back on their feet that way.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Catholic Charities Find Help | Catholic Charities USA
Old 12-02-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

you are all so kind. thank you. i am in the U.S. i looked at WWOOF and it sounded perfect. but you need to pay 40$ to be a member just to get any info. and because of some mistakes in my past i have a minor criminal record. so i read that i will most likely be denied
Old 12-02-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

U never know until u try? I got a DUI earlier this year and I've heard there are many places that won't hire me because of it but the more I talk to people the more I realize I really don't know until I go for it. I hope u are well today.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thank you. i am in a safe place at the moment. i came to these boards because i didnt know who else to talk too. when i was on drugs. i was a well known active user of message boards like opiophile. so i figured now that i havent been on drugs. maybe i should try to joining the other team. im glad that i did.

i didnt get a chance to contact salvation army today. hopefully i can first thing in the morning. my crime was just D.U.I as well. my license was revoked. i got put into ARD but became homeless and destitute. having no way to pay the fines or attend the court ordered classes i sort of slipped through the cracks and ive been under the radar. i fear now that i probably have warrants because of all this
Old 12-02-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Try Lutheran Social Services as well. If you were represented by a public defender in your criminal case you could try contacting them to find out about warrants and what to do about them. If you apply for a job and they dogma criminal history check you don't want an outstanding warrant popping up.

Good luck!