Notices

Day 2

Old 12-01-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hey,

Am new to the forum. Have been 'lurking' for a while, but decided it's about time I sign up and say hello.

My last drink was Saturday night. November was probably one of the heaviest months I've had in terms of drinking, and Saturday just made me realize I need to sort my sh!t out!

I'd bought my usual bottle of (70cl) whiskey on the Friday night. Most work nights, I try and stick to just a 35cl bottle. I drank about half of it then went off to sleep. On the Sat morning, I felt fine, and knew I was meeting my mate for some drinks in the pub in the evening. So figured, hey, I can drink this whiskey, get myself a bit tipsy for the pub. So I started drinking at about lunchtime, and true to my word, I finished the bottle and was pretty drunk before I went out. I also forgot something, which I'll get to soon.

So went to pub, drank plenty of pints. My mates were leaving cos it was getting late, and asked if I want a ride home (one of them wasn't drinking btw!). I said nah, I'll go back to pub and have another pint. Stayed for a while, but not fun and I could hardly talk, so went home.

Got home... I'd forgotten my key. Was about 1am. Phoned housemate, landlady for ages. No answer. Texted mates, no answer. I was throwing up outside the house, almost crying (sub zero temp btw). No way am I going to phone my parents, and being quite the introvert, I don't have a long list of friends to call in times of need.

So I crawled up in a ball against the wall and my front door. Just hoping I wouldn't freeze. An hour or so passed by and I somehow heard the loo flushing inside the house. More phoning/knocking door and eventually someone heard me and let me in.

Usually on a sunday, around lunch, I'd be buying my 35cl bottle... but due to the crushing hangover, I just couldn't. (Luckily though, I remembered the mess I made outside, so quickly ran outside to clean it up; with key!) And today, I'd usually buy another bottle... but I found it super easy not buying anything today. I'm now almost 48 hours without a drink, and it's quite nice being clear headed.

Am just going to take each day as it comes. My body/mind has a weird way of figuring out a new justification to buy "just one more" every single day. What I'm worried about is that, I have not planned to stop drinking. Coping mechanisms are just not in place. I think I can handle the next few days, but Friday will be the true test. I'm not going out this weekend though. With christmas, meals, new year coming up... I don't think I'll be able to stay alcohol free. And does anyone succeed "not drinking" as a new years resolution?

Hopefully, by reading some of the success stories and advice on here, it will help.

Hmmm, sorry about the essay!
Old 12-01-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum Addicted to life youl find lots of support here

Nice to meet you, well done on day 2
Old 12-01-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR AddictedtoLife

have you thought about what you could do in your life to help you stay sober?

D
Old 12-01-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 12-01-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You'll find lots of support and understanding here.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting, it sounds like you had a really rough night! If you want to stop drinking, there are a lot of folks here who can provide advice and support. Welcome.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congratulations on day 2!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and thanks for posting. Lots of help here at SR. With everyone's help here, and going to AA, have cobbled together 31 days today - a miracle - and you can do the same ! Lots of sobriety and support here. Hang in there - one day at a time. MJM