Notices

December is a ridiculous month to stop drinking!

Old 12-01-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

December is a ridiculous month to stop drinking!

Come on, I've not had a drink for nearly all of November so have proved I can take it or leave it. I've had a few issues with getting angry and resentful but all in all, probably because of the help of this forum I've felt better than in any previous attempt to stop drinking. I've chosen the hardest time of year to stop - coming up to Christmas - I can't see the point in putting in all that extra effort when I'll inevitably drink this Christmas anyway. The decorations are going up outside the pubs, and have you seen the offers on the booze in the supermarkets? I wouldn't want to ruin anyone else's xmas with my irrational mood swings I've been having lately. People are starting to rev up about xmas parties and works do's and I don't want to come across as boring or stuck up. I'll just allow myself a few over the xmas period - they'll just be social drinks mind, never alone and never in the morning - except xmas day cos it would be rude not to have a sherry with the presents!
Having had a booze free November I've proved I'm not an addict so if I just have a few over xmas, not so much I get a hangover but enough to have a grin then I'll be able to choose whether I need to stop again completely in January with everyone else or just have a couple at weekends and celebrations. I've earned the right to treat myself for all the hard work - let's call it a xmas pressie to myself.

Well that's my plan
Kind regards

Hendrix's AV
Old 12-01-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep, have heard this story before! Pretty sure I know the ending! I'll just cringe now.

And what is your answer to the AV? Or are we answering?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dude the only person who can decide you're an alcoholic is you. But if you're considering, it may be better to do something earlier. It took eight years, and I really messed up my liver. Like I said, only you know. Im only 30, I have the liver of a 65 year old with a taste for red meat
Old 12-01-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe a present to yourself would be to stay sober
Beware of the blackouts!!
Old 12-01-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ah, I see...it was written by your AV.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Av?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Come on, I've not had a drink for nearly all of November so have proved I can take it or leave it.
Great!

Why are you on a sober forum?

So do the same thru next November and say the same thing.

BE WELL
Old 12-01-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Hendrix.

The lure of the holiday celebrations sucked me in for decades. The fact that you stopped for November doesn't prove you can 'take it or leave it'. I reasoned that way too, and I was so wrong. It's what happens once those first sips get in our system that causes the trouble. All bets are off, and anything can happen. In my case, no amount of willpower or promises to myself ever worked.

Wait - I just realized (as jo did) this was actually posted by Hendrix's AV. Well that's a huge relief.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ioaa, I like your memory slogan. So true. So very, very true.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AV - it's an expression, addictive voice, that voice in your head telling you it's okay to drink or use even though you know you shouldn't

I suppose I was fortunate last xmas because the trauma was still fresh for me. I sat around on christmas eve watching everyone else drink - get drunk. I had absolutely no desire to drink then. I made a vow I would never drink again the night I was sent home from work - never to return. Merry Christmas to my wife huh?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Lbrain ,Mental gymnastics
Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you are telling your AV that it's spinning quite a tale.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Lbrain, and I hope im not violating etiquette, but is that a scanner darkly or psychological reference, I enjoy both
Old 12-01-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

At first i was like Hendrix ? then seen you signed off with AV

Glad you recognise it

btw i like your signature
Old 12-01-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I'm sorry if I misled anyone but just felt the need to write down the noise I've had in my head the last couple of days.

It helps to see it for what it is if I write it. It does seem that the further away I get from the acute physical and mental pain I experienced through drinking the more chatty this ear worm gets.

I'm not one to bear a grudge but I reckon I'll have to make an exception in the case of my addictive voice.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing exellent Hendrix
Old 12-01-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey, Hendrix's AV-

Hendrix already proved he can beat you, so just go off and leave him be. He's not going to drink, so you are just wasting your time here.

Hendrix- excellent for you on a month!! Keep it up.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey, Hendrix AV - let's go do some shots and share some wine. I kicked it at 2 months...I can most definitely have 2 or 3 and call it quits. Tis the season, right ? love, Ellay' AV
Old 12-01-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

what? Is this a joke? what do the holidays have to do with drinking? you just gave yourself a death wish for Christmas. Also you are in the "newcomers" section. Saying its ok to drink because its the holiday season is dangerous and pretty irresponsible. I hope you get strong and tell your "AV" to cool it. Remember this is a forum for people who realize it is in their best interest to stay sober.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
what? what do the holidays have to do with drinking? you just gave yourself a death wish for Christmas. Also you are in the "newcomers" section. Saying its ok to drink because its the holiday season is dangerous and pretty irresponsible. I hope you get strong and tell your "AV" to cool it. Remember this is a forum for people who realize it is in their best interest to stay sober.
I think hendrix's AV was speaking, Hendrix didn't mean it literally. I think, is that correct?