Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Did anyone else have this whilst drinking(not for the faint hearted)

Notices

Old 12-01-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

For the last year i have had constipation very chronic, doctor giving me things over and over but can't get the bowel to work for more than a few days.

I can only think this is an alcohol related thing? Anyone else had this?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

I've had this off and on. I've started taking Metamucil every morning. It helps a lot.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Thanks Thathombre, i thought when i stopped drinking it would get me back to not being constipated but i am just as constipated not drinking as i was drinking.

It is horrible, whilst drinking i was bloated and never did a bowel movement at all, i am now 4 weeks off drinking, i drink lots of water and still not having much of a bowel movement.

I have Senakot but it stopped working and as i might have liver issues i stopped taking it.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Speak with a doctor about more effective treatment tamby and the body will regulate with time
Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober

When I was drinking, I would have the opposite. Frequent diarrhea. When I quit, 6 days ago, I got constipated for a few days. Now it's back to normal.

So alcohol can affect your bowel. Are you still drinking or are you sober? And if sober, for how long? And have you ever used loperamide or any other anti-diarrhea medications? If so, how much and for how long?

And... knows your doctor know about the addiction? It might be important information for solving your problem. It's not necessarily caused by alcohol (or damage from alcohol), but it might. Did you really tell your doctor everything? If not, do so. Only then can they really help.

When I quit, the first thing I did was contact my doctor and tell everything. He's ok with it. I'm just another person who needs help. They won't judge you and if they do, get another doctor.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Hi Twentyfive,

Yes the doctor knows everything i am 4 weeks off the drink and had my blood tests today to find out if my liver and kidneys are OK after the bad tests before.

The doctor has given me a bulk fiber agent and senna. I have stopped taking them as looking online it can affect the liver and after my bad test i did not want my liver affected any further.

This has been a long hard battle, quitting drinking has been easy for me the hard part is feeling better. If the liver\kidney pains stop and the constipation goes away then i will be a happy man

The one good thing is i lost 17 pounds last month without doing anything
Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober

Good that you see the positive in it. 17 pounds weight-loss without effort. Something some people dream of.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't suggest anything more. Only things that comes to mind is to get a more thorough check of your organs. Echos, endoscopies, that kind of stuff. I do know of someone (who wasn't an alcoholic) who had a severe bowel blockage that did go away with laxatives. It took a few months though. So maybe all you need is time. Still, as many tests as possible combined with treatment.

Oh, and try eating prunes. They're great laxatives and the worst thing that can happen is that you get some healthy fruit in your diet.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Thanks i will try the prunes.

I had a colonoscopy last year and everything was fine(not sure if it can change so quick), i have to go for a swallow test on Thursday as i need stomach operation.

My scan of my liver and gallbladder was fine but my liver came back with some scary figures last time out, i am just hoping on Wednesday they come back normal.

Hopefully more time away from the drink will help the bowels start working again but i will speak to the doctor again on Wednesday.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober

Duplicate post. Glitch while posting.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober

Duplicate post. Glitch while posting.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober

At least this signals that you really, really can't drink anymore or your health will suffer more with terrible consequences.

I really hope you'll get better! The body has an enormous ability to heal if you let it. Healthy habits, medical assistance and time are the ingredients to recover from many injuries.

Be well! I mean it.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Thanks Twentyfive, it is my 30th birthday on Wednesday so maybe the man above will give me a nice birthday present
Old 12-01-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober

An early Happy Birthday tamby. And yes, may you receive a nice gift.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober

An early Happy Birthday tamby! And yes, may you receive a nice gift.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober

Old 12-01-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober

Old 12-01-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober

Ok, the site glitched big time on my previous post. But I figure receiving birthday wishes 4 times is nice.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

IRt the Metamucil, make certain you take it with the required amount of water. It will not affect your liver, but make sure you take it everyday and if needed again in the evening. Best advice I have received from a Doc was to make Metamucil a part of my daily routine. Also good for helping with cholesterol, and hemi's if you got a hemi or don't want a hemi, then get on the fiber. Costco has some prunes they sell that are magical IRT the bowels, I give them to my kids sometimes just to mix it up a little bit.

Be well