Notices

Are all alcoholics self centered

Old 12-01-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are all alcoholics self centered

I've been sober for 3 weeks now , I've had clairity ( not entirely happy about this fact)
anyways I've taken stock of my self and realize I'm very selfcentered , I put my drinking ( which f'ed up everything ) first for the last five years, but even before this , I think I was arrogant and had a sense of entitlement about me , I'm adressing these issues now , I'm curious if other a's tend to be self centered ?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The majority of humanity are.

But it's an instinct run riot in alcoholic folk.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It’s a characteristic of many alcoholics and may be more than above normal. It helps to help others to get out of our old practices.

BE WELL
Old 12-01-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

no
Old 12-01-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

being "self centered"
oh yes, this is brought up in AA so often
Are most drunks "self centered" ? Yes, this seems to be true
But, I think it to be a common sin of many both alcoholic or not.

Bob
Old 12-01-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol acts on the frontal lobes and reduces inhibition. This is the mechanism by which much of our social behavior is governed.

So it makes sense therefore that consistent overuse of alcohol would lead to behaviors that are not exactly in accordance with the principles with which we conduct ourself when sober. I think the use of alcohol can result in behaviors that are less considerate, however, I don't believe that alcoholics as a cross section are any more self centered than the general population.

I simply think that we operate with looser restraints on inhibitions when we are drinking.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not an alcoholic but I have referred to my xabf who is an A as self centered. I'm thinking it's the drink that makes him appear self centered. He does put his beer at the top of his agenda daily along with his pot. He's also very sweet and caring. I feel like maybe I shouldn't label all alcoholics as being self centered but the disease itself is self centered. It wants what it wants when it wants it. More alcohol. That is the sad part ..it's not so much the person being self centered but the disease takes over and usually wins. Congrats on being 3 weeks sober! I wish my A would get help but I know that has to be his choice. I wish you continued success