Notices

I cant do this

Old 11-30-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I cant do this

I keep getting to 3 days sober and binging. I am so close to giving up. so so so close. I drank so much last night. I am crippled with anxiety today. I feel like the world is moving too quickly and that i'm going to die. I cant do this. I cant win
Old 11-30-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What do you do at Day 3 each time, anything different?

For me relying on sheer willpower and continuing to do the same thing and expecting new results never worked!!

Instead I needed to change things up, get more support into my routines, whether that be logging onto SR before you drink, meetings etc, whatever it is, doing something different to break the cycle!!

You CAN do this!!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't give up. Do something different

see your Dr
get a referral to a counsellor
check out a recovery group - AA, SMART, LifeRing...whatever...

when all else fails put yourself under 'house arrest' - no matter how back the craving you can ride it out, I promise

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 11-30-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You CAN do it! We are living proof. It's really hard in the beginning. But it is possible to get through it. Get the booze out of your home and don't buy any more. Stay close to this site and read and post. 3 days will become 4, 5, 6.....and then it gets easier. See your dr. For medical advice if you need to.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a plan ?

Like pk said do something diffrent switch it up

Make sobriety your priority
Old 11-30-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Scared1234 View Post
I cant do this.
My AV used to tell me that, too. Just another lie to keep me in the addiction's grasp.

You CAN do this. You just haven't yet.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes you can do this but sounds like it will take a different approach.
Shake things up. Go see your gp, maybe try a meeting? In short use as much support as you can get. I tried doing it on my own as well to no avail, it was only when i finally gave in and asked for professional medical advice as well as listening and surrounding myself with people who had been through it that things started to change. It sounds like you really want this and thats more than half the battle
Old 11-30-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried and failed for a long time. I thought I was hopeless. But when I finally wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, then I could stay sober. Don't give up!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, change your plan, do whatever it takes. You can do it. Don't give up.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Anxiety is terrible, but it's temporary. Try to stay comfortable and don't overwhelm yourself right now, you just need to get through today and start working on a plan. Try something, take one little step. This is my second serious, not-messing-around stab at recovery, and it had to start with something I'd never done before. I had to do something. For me it was a LifeRing meeting, and making that leap set the stage for a lot of progress. You have your life set up in a very solid way right now to support drinking. You have to put a crack in that. I was so terrified to go to that first meeting, it took everything I had not to turn around and run, but it was the catalyst that opened me up to a lot of progress. They say "nothing changes if nothing changes," and I understand that now. You will too. You can do this!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If a stubborn fool like me can quit after 30 years, you can too. You need to get over the hump so it becomes the new normal. It takes time and perseverance. Find some support, keep busy with something that interests you other than drinking, reach out here.
I used to think that I couldn't imagine a life with no booze. Now I can't imagine ever being intoxicated again.
You can do it! You can win! And your worth it!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right!!!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

U can do it
Old 11-30-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Anxiety is terrible, but it's temporary. Try to stay comfortable and don't overwhelm yourself right now, you just need to get through today and start working on a plan. Try something, take one little step. This is my second serious, not-messing-around stab at recovery, and it had to start with something I'd never done before. I had to do something. For me it was a LifeRing meeting, and making that leap set the stage for a lot of progress. You have your life set up in a very solid way right now to support drinking. You have to put a crack in that. I was so terrified to go to that first meeting, it took everything I had not to turn around and run, but it was the catalyst that opened me up to a lot of progress. They say "nothing changes if nothing changes," and I understand that now. You will too. You can do this!
^^^ This is some seriously excellent advice. For me it was AA but the point is the same: try something, anything. And the anxiety WILL stop. Drinking has a lot to do with it and right now you are caught in that vicious cycle of anxiety/drink to stop the anxiety/drink then worsens the anxiety/drink again...

"Put a crack in it" is exactly right. And stay here. When I first came on here, I stayed for basically three full days/nights in a row. Through the anxiety, the cravings, the crazy thoughts and fears. All of it. At the end of those 72 hours I was not feeling wonderful, but I was sober and my anxiety was greatly reduced. If not that, then a meeting or something else. But you can totally do this. I NEVER thought I'd be able to stop for 24 hours, let alone almost 22 months. You can do it too.

Stay close. We've got you.

And hang in there, this is a fight for your life.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As someone newly sober, I just wanted to concur about the anxiety. I drank due to anxiety, but didn't realize that the alcohol was a huge cause of my anxiety. What a vicious cycle! The first two weeks were rough, I won't lie. But I cannot tell you how much better I felt after that, and how quickly too.

Create a plan and do be gentle with yourself. Lots of support, of whatever form, and lots of self care. Personally, I went to bed early for almost a week just to get through the initial rough stuff.

Take care. Sending you positive thoughts.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We believe in you, Scared1234! Lean on us till you start to believe in you, too. I promise it'll happen sooner rather than later
Old 11-30-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh my, if I can you can.
Keep your head up, you'll be fine.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The anxiety will fade and you will get stronger. You can do it.

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am new to sobriety as well and haven't been able to make it very far before medicating the pain. I feel like I get started, and its ok for a bit, but after a couple of days it seems unbearable, and I fall back. I don't know what to do with myself when that happens. It's a helpless crushing anxiety, but just seeing the community on this site makes me feel more calm. Exploring the site, that we both have just recently joined, might help ease your mind for a bit.
I'm scared too. I feel like I don't sound like it in the message, but I am.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm scared too, mostly of myself.
But I'm just going with the flow the best I can, this place is keeping me sober. I just post a ton, it helps.
I just want to be happy, and that means so much to me, having a good life!
I can't do that with alcohol, I'm not a good person when I drink. Stay around here, it's been such a big help to me.
Days 4-6 are my usual binge blackout, I'm on day 6 and actually bought wine but didn't drink it, first time ever
Just keep trying, you'll keep getting further.