Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I feel weird subscribing to this forum, but I don't know what else to do because no one else in my life knows my struggle or understands...so just wanted to say I'm desperately trying to go one night sober here, (it's been years), so I'm not expecting it's going to be easy, plus i've tried before, but i always fail. I'm mostly scared of withdrawal,I guess. I wanted to chat, but the chat room won't work for me so i just figured i would post this. Any tips or advice to help me make it through the night...I don't know what Im going to do with myself. I can't remember the last time I "went up to bed", I normally just drink till I pass out on the couch and then make my way upstairs at some point that I don't usually remember. It's gonna be weird tonight (if I can actually pull it off).
Old 11-30-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Josh. It's so good to have you with us.

I felt the same when I first came here. I couldn't imagine my life without drinking - it had been my crutch for decades. You've done the right thing by joining - you're among those who know what you're going through. Reading and posting here is a good distraction. We all understand and want to help you through this.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm Natasha!

I'm brand new here and only sober for a week, but I just wanted to say how amazing the people are on this forum.

You can do this and I wish you the very best of luck Hun. Xxxx
Old 11-30-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Josh youl find nothing but support here

Nice to meet you
Old 11-30-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Welcome Josh

There's many of us that couldn't remember the last day they didn't have alcohol but decided enough was enough and had a desire to stop.

As you've got that desire to go one night sober you're half way there. No one can make you drink if you don't want to. Why not make a decision to not drink today and spend some time noodling around this forum for support and advice.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you I think I will...can't think of anything else to do with myself!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel you! Coming from a history of alcoholism in my family. Sadly, alcohol can too be deadly. Ive witnessed it, and even dodged it a few times. If its one thing you want to do it for, do it for your health! Not remembering is Not healthy. You can do this!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

Hi Josh, my name is Lauren and I'm brand new here too. My last night of binge drinking was on Thursday.. It's been tough for the last two nights, but I've been watching movies, reading self help books, and spending my time at the gym... And in here of course. Any time I feel like drinking I have something carbonated or a lollipop. Just so,etching that works for me. If you have a hobby try and engage in that. If not, maybe try finding something that peaks your interest 😄
Old 11-30-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Josh. We are here to support you in your quest to be sober.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hi Josh, some days the only thing that has kept me sober is hanging out on here. Even just yesterday I was in a tough situation and posted asked people to help me, and within minutes I had several very encouraging responses. There are always people around to help you, and even if you can't get into the chat rooms, you can often find people on the forums who will write back and forth with you. This place is an incredible resource. Stick around throughout the evening, post what you're feeling, we'll all do this together.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sobriety, Josh.

Bunnez
Old 11-30-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Josh!!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Josh! I would recommend getting rid of any alcohol. There is also something termed urge surfing, which I am sure someone will post the link to (I don't have it, sorry. ). One of the things that has really helped me recently is thinking about anything negative related to drinking when I have cravings. Any warm and fuzzy thoughts of alcohol vanish as soon as I think about that.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hiya Josh - welcome

keep yourself connected here - support is really important (Hope you work out the chat issue too)

Here are some good craving tips including urge surfing
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 11-30-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's after 7pm here now..crunch time and i'm feeling the cravings strong now. This is always my turning point where I can rationalize - "just one drink before bed" or "I can always start tomorrow". God this sucks. Also start to feel hot and sweaty now. I'm not feeling very confident but I'm not giving up.yet.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm happy to say that that craving has subsided and I think I'm gonna make it through tonight! Gonna go to bed and try to sleep. Thank you all for being there. It really helped!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're off to a good start. Another thing I'd recommend is remove all the alcohol from your house. Keep checking in.