Notices

Didnt think it could happen

Old 11-30-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

Unhappy Didnt think it could happen

I drank last night........62 days sober. I am suprised, disappointed and angry. It made me realize how much of a hold this demon has on me. Today day 1 I guess.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The important thing is that you are back. You now realize how relentless this thing can be too. It doesnt have to happen though...learn from it and fortify/change your plan accordingly. Trace your steps and see where you first had thoughts or a crack in your sober armor. It could have been days or weeks prior to the actual act of drinking if you weren't being vigilant. Bottom line, learn and move forward
Old 11-30-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What Scott said is true. When I relapsed it was weeks, months in the making. I wasn't taking care of myself. I wasn't doing the things that were keeping me sober. I got run down and turned to drinking.

Sixty two days is great. You can learn from the experience and rework your approach. It does take vigilance. I'm always mindful of just how easy it would be to lost what I have.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to see you right back here CNY46ER. All's not lost....the fact that you're here this morning is testament to that!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for coming back immediately. So... subtract the one drinking day, add today (at midnite), and you're back at 63...
Old 11-30-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah but you're back! Don't let guilt from relapse drag you further down.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am very happy I came right in and was able to be honest. Feels good. In the past I did whatever to hide it. At least it is only one night.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Coming back is the important thing. Take what you've learned and keep moving forward.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It happens. View this day as the 62th day of your sobriety.

Don't take it as that everything is ruined and doesn't matter if you drink again, because you already ruined everything.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CNY46ER View Post
I drank last night........62 days sober. I am suprised, disappointed and angry. It made me realize how much of a hold this demon has on me. Today day 1 I guess.
I did that more than once
just makes one all that much more grateful
once I finally got a clue to
keep the plug in the jug

MM
Old 11-30-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you for finding the courage to come and share what happened, but like everyone is saying---move on from it - don't let it bring you down-stay close to SR

you have helped me today, so thank you

Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

CNY -

Not thinking it could happen is why it did happen.

Overconfidence and thinking "I got this" are dangerous spots for alcoholic/addicts.

We have a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual/physical/emotional/mental condition.

Any time I think "it can't happen" I'm in trouble.

The reason I still attend AA meetings and have a sponsor, read the Big Book, etc is because I realize - IT CAN HAPPEN. and I'd better remain aware of that and prepared.

Now, get up, dust yourself off, and start in again. You are better than that.

;-)
Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well we are in the same boat. It stink and it's dumb what we did. We both gave up a good amount of days. Somehow in the long run I think this relapse experience will make us stronger. This feeling of being so angry at myself can't happen again. We must forgive ourselves, dust off and move forward. That's all there is to do.

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 11-30-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

63-1=62+(today)=63......(this is not Common Core math)
Old 11-30-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Most of us have been there. I sure have.

I had to finally surrender, work the steps, commit to AA, read the big book, make real changes in my lifestyle, get a sponsor, take real action, stop doing things that revolved around alcohol with people whose lives did too....

I had to reinvent.

It was worth it.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I like what the others said about subtracting days. I was about to change my sobriety calc last night and I just broke down. I subtracted my two days and moving on. We can do this

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 11-30-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In a way it has awakened even strengthen me. I know I do not miss this foggy head.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am glad you're back. The key thing is not to dwell on the relapse too much and keep on moving forward on your sobriety journey. Figure out what triggered it and learn what to do differently next time. I like Annattaboy's statement in just subtracting the one day since progress towards sobriety is still progress. It is easy to lose focus with a relapse, but if you can keep yourself moving forward in your journey towards sobriety, that is the important thing.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i love the title of this thread

i didnt think it could happen.

i didn't think i would lose my driving license, i didnt think i would lose my family, i didn't think i would lose my home, i didn't think i would lose my business and all my money, and i certainly didn't think i would end up in a prison cell

the one fact behind it all was i drank. i wonder just how many more people out there will wake up hung over and in serious trouble all because they never thought it would happen to them either ?

hence i dont play around with drinking anymore i lost enough for it to gain my utmost respect there is to much for me to lose again, should i drink again and who knows what yets are waiting for me ? should i drink again, of course i can always say to myself well my drinking isnt that bad as thats what i would of done, until now i can not say my drinking is not that bad anymore as it got that bad
Old 11-30-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

CNY46ER, 1 day again is FANTASTIC, congratulations. The AV is a sneaky SOB and is hard to get rid of, however sounds like to me you've done it, rootin for ya.