Notices

Changes in sexual desires during sobriety

Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

Unhappy Changes in sexual desires during sobriety

Here is the nuts and bolts of it. Since I have been sober my desire for sex has gone down dramaticly. Also Orgasm is almost impossible at times. Can anyone else chime in on this?
Old 11-29-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep, sex sober is a whole new ballgame. Almost back to as awkward and clunky as when we were a virgin .
Old 11-29-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had the opposite experience in early sobriety. There have been quite a few threads about this and people seem to experience both. I think in general it's our brains adjusting. We were very conditioned to using mostly alcohol as a source of reward, it takes time for our bodies to respond to natural rewards normally, including the desire for it. Do you have depressive symptoms? Often this is also part of depression that some people have also after quitting. If you are not depressed otherwise, I would probably try to do things in the bedroom a bit differently to raise your interest and re-train your brain.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

Depression could be playing a part in it. I agree doing things in the playground would raise intrest and help as well. Thank You Haennie
Old 11-29-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps its because you and your wife are separated and having marital problems. That would pretty much be a hindrance to intimacy for me.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sexual function is a complex interplay between physical, neurological, psychological and emotional dynamics.

It's good to remember;

ALL of these things experience turbulence in recovery
Mostly, the ups and the downs come and go and eventually, will pass
As recovery deepens, balance amongst these things evolves....

It's likely that sex and sexuality will too.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey CNY46ER- I actually posted almost the same topic just last month, titled; "Has Sobriety Changed Your Sex Life?"
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sex-life.html

Yes, mine has changed noticeably, as I indicated in my post. And not so much for the better either.

Lusher
Old 11-29-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I can't offer anything constructive as it's not an issue for me. Let's just say our nuts and bolts are screwed on tightly . I think depression, separation, learning to live and feel again are all factors though.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep... My libido has taken a nose-dive.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happened to me as well. Took a real nose dive after the first week. I think it improved again after about a month. It's still slightly down (62 days) but it's definitely coming back.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yep, me too. At 60 days of sobriety, desire is starting to come back. But I also know this is an issue I'm going to have to work on since childhood trauma (which I masked with alcohol) is also part of the picture here. Honestly, most of the sex I've had as an adult has been when I was at least slightly tipsy so I could sort of hover over what was happening at about 10,000 feet. Phew, that makes me sad to type that, but there it is.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your question may not be something people are comfortable with answering. I know some people have responded, but....

Reminds me of a Joy Behar comedy routine when she asked the men in the audience if they were satisfied with their sex life. Hardly anyone responded, so without a beat she says "I see you can't raise your hands either" ba-da-dump.