Notices

Who says sobriety has to be boring

Old 11-29-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who says sobriety has to be boring

Yesterday after hubby & I dropped off the kids at their father's house we realized we had NOTHING to do. The house was clean, the laundry in process, bills paid and the fridge stocked with leftovers which meant we were footloose & fancy free. I casually mentioned that a certain sandwich at a quaint little general store in the Hill Country sounded scrumptious. He looked at me and smiled and the next thing we know, we're headed on a spontaneous road trip for lunch - 2 1/2 hours away! Believe me when I tell you it was the MOST delicious sandwich I have had in ages!

It wasn't just the sandwich though. It was the conversations, the laughs, the singing old 70's & 80's rock songs at the top of our lungs, the air guitar contests, the overall feeling that I don't have a care in the world that made it a perfect day. We stopped wherever we wanted to stop (a chocolatier, funky shop, a dried-up river bed, a scenic overlook) and spent as much (or as little) time as we wanted. There was no worry about if the sandwich shop served beer and how many I could pound before we had to go, wondering what kind of wine would go best with the chocolate we bought, the panic of needing to get home so that I could start my drinking, clock-watching the day away. We took pictures at each stop and much to my surprise I have a genuine smile in each one. So does my husband.

On the way home I told him that this is the way I want to live our lives. I want to be spontaneous when we can and belly laugh at life. He grabbed my hand and told me how much he loves the new me. He said he knew I was in there all along and is so glad I've come back out to play. I am so very, very blessed.

I just wanted to let those struggling know that life does get better when you stop drinking - in ways you can never imagine if you remain stuck. I know I couldn't as long as I was stuck on the binge drinking/pretend recovery merry-go-round. Take a leap of faith and trust the rest of us that the water is fine & fun out here is Soberville.

I know others of you have similar stories to mine. Please. Share.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

What a great story!! Simple, pure fun......

Yesterday as I drank coffee in the morning with my wife, I started recalling old songs. Began by humming, then some Fly moves while getting another cup o joe. Popped up songs on youtube and we started laughing and reminiscing.

Here's the partial play list

Afternoon delight Starland Vocal Band - AFTERNOON DELIGHT(1976) - AMERICA'S TOP SINGLE OF 1976 (EBRO DIGITAL SOUND) - YouTube
Sugar, Sugar Sugar Sugar - The Archies - YouTube
Thunder Island Jay Ferguson ~ Thunder Island - YouTube
Hooked on a Feeling Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling - YouTube

Several others - you get the idea. Silly, spontaneous moments are indeed the joy of life!!!!
oh ga chaka, oh ga chaka, oh ga chaka......

Nice Thread Hearts!!
FlyN
Old 11-29-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Heart,
When I was drinking I could tell the future...I knew every day was going to be a bad day.

Now that I am Sober & Free, I have real options, and the ability to make plans and decisions, or just be spontaneous, as you described.

I had NO options when I was drinking, except those that could be secondary to HAVING to drink, then any options other than more drinking were dismissed for...more drinking.

Great Post
Old 11-29-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful stuff Hearts! Did you go to Fredricksburg by any chance?

Fly...hate hate hate that Hooked on a Feeling version. Prefer the original with BJ Thomas.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful story:-)
Old 11-29-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Wonderful stuff Hearts! Did you go to Fredricksburg by any chance?

Fly...hate hate hate that Hooked on a Feeling version. Prefer the original with BJ Thomas.
Just outside of Hamilton. Love Fredricksburg though!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Thanks for the tears of joy for you, Hearts!

May the rest of your life be just as joyous and free as your fun day yesterday!

Congratulations!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting!!!
I'm scared and still don't trust myself, but somehow, deep down I know it's going to be ok, and nice posts like this remind me that we can let go of the past and move forward to a better life
Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yep, sounds like how real life should be and also sounds like you needed to work hard to get that back so well done and try to stay in that moment for as long and often as you can. Great stuff.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

You just brought tears to my eyes.....I long for that fun again. Congrats on a great day.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you had such a great day!
Old 11-29-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent post me and my gf had the best sandwich aswell today

loved reading that hearts
Old 11-29-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I think anyone who has been through hell and come out the other side is very blessed.

That was wonderful to read, Hearts, I'm so happy for you, tearing up here....xx
Old 11-29-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much - a very touching and inspiring story...
Old 11-29-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
What a great story!! Simple, pure fun......

Yesterday as I drank coffee in the morning with my wife, I started recalling old songs. Began by humming, then some Fly moves while getting another cup o joe. Popped up songs on youtube and we started laughing and reminiscing.

Here's the partial play list

Afternoon delight Starland Vocal Band - AFTERNOON DELIGHT(1976) - AMERICA'S TOP SINGLE OF 1976 (EBRO DIGITAL SOUND) - YouTube
Sugar, Sugar Sugar Sugar - The Archies - YouTube
Thunder Island Jay Ferguson ~ Thunder Island - YouTube
Hooked on a Feeling Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling - YouTube

Several others - you get the idea. Silly, spontaneous moments are indeed the joy of life!!!!
oh ga chaka, oh ga chaka, oh ga chaka......

Nice Thread Hearts!!
FlyN
Fly, in the UK we would call you a total nutter !! (in a good way, of course)
Old 11-29-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey HeartsAfire- Thanks for sharing. That sounds like the best day :=] I'm really pleased for you.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
learning to live

Awesome Hearts!!! You deserve every ounce of happiness coming your way xoxox
Old 11-29-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, that sounds like a great day. Feels timely to be reading it today. I don't feel I'm seriously ever going to fall of this wagon (I know, I know, you're all saying 'heard it') but I'm still strong for now. Doesn't mean you don't get days when it does seem dull to contemplate the rest of your life without wine, so it's good to be reminded of all the reasons for sticking with the decision. The last 13 days for me have been punctuated with the odd shaky moment but I just so much prefer life without that feeling of living in secret from everyone who thinks you're 'normal' and being able to sleep, to run, to wake up, to get on with stuff, to remember. I'm going on more than I meant to.

Thanks for the reminder, Heartsafire. Hope there's lots more of those days.

Pix
Old 11-29-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, that sounds like a great day. Feels timely to be reading it today. I don't feel I'm seriously ever going to fall of this wagon (I know, I know, you're all saying 'heard it') but I'm still strong for now. Doesn't mean you don't get days when it does seem dull to contemplate the rest of your life without wine, so it's good to be reminded of all the reasons for sticking with the decision. The last 13 days for me have been punctuated with the odd shaky moment but I just so much prefer life without that feeling of living in secret from everyone who thinks you're 'normal' and being able to sleep, to run, to wake up, to get on with stuff, to remember. I'm going on more than I meant to.

Thanks for the reminder, Heartsafire. Hope there's lots more of those days.

Pix
Old 11-29-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello guys, especially hello to Pixie30f who is from Ayr in Scotland, I'm not too far from there. Waves hello!

Can I just say, though, I lived in the USA for two years a few years ago, and I miss it like crazy. I love your whole way of life and culture there. Reading your posts has made me reminisce something awful to be back in the US.......it's a wonderful country with a wonderful way of life. X