Notices

Health check?

Old 11-29-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober

Health check?

Ok, so I quit a couple of days ago. Had contact with my doctor, both on the phone and face-to-face. I have another appointment next Wednesday to discuss further treatment.

I know that I'm going to get a health check. Which is something we're going to discuss Wednesday.

It's not that I'm nervous about stuff like that, but what can I expect? And more importantly, is there anything I should mention during the consultation? And does it happen in the hospital or do rehab facilities do it?

Just wondering what I can expect and what to keep in mind to mention so that nothing gets forgotten or overlooked.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sure it's different for everyone. Make sure you're completely honest with your Dr on how much you were drinking and for how long and he/she will decide what's necessary from there. I got a physical exam, my doc looked at my eyes for any signs of jaundice and felt around my liver area to check for any obvious swelling. Then I can a complete blood work up test. They check for liver enzyme levels and various vitamin/mineral levels.

Youre doing great! Keep it up!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

make a list!

write down all of your questions and concerns, ask about tests you think you need or ones the doctor thinks you may need.

be honest about your history, how much you drank, what kind of junk you ate etc. are you experiencing any kinds of pain of discomfort? were you a couch potato? did you exercise have a normal sleep routine etc.
Spend the time to go over it with yourself and present to the doctor as a sort of essay.
WRITE IT DOWN.

Rehabs - all they do is a simple blood check and vitals if you go into a detox. Their only concern is that you don't die on them. If you are having troubles they will call an ambulance and ship you off to the nearest hospital.

iF you really want a health screening, present it to your doctor.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey...I have a checkup with my doctor on Wed too! See ya there!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober

Alright, thanks. I'll just write everything down in detail and will do some Googling as well. I have no problem with being honest.

I've been drinking for about 9 years, heavily for the last 4 of them. I did experience stomach pains and other symptoms. Had an inflammation of my stomach for which I was hospitalized for a couple of days.

Btw, I'm writing it down right here, right now since I need to do it anyway and it's on my mind now. And I happen to be typing in the message box of this forum. But that saves it online as well, which is a good back-up. And perhaps others can relate.

Anyway, I've primarily had stomach pains and diarrhea. And maintained a diet of fast food at first, until the past few weeks where I hardly ate since my appetite disappeared and my drinking increased. This also got me to the point of realizing I needed to quit.

Eating normally causes stomach pains for one day (so far). Today it feels ok.

I'm concerned about my stomach and liver and anything else than could have been damaged by the alcohol. And today I had a sharp pain in my solar plexus area when I ate something that was a little too hot. The pain was not appropriate for the situation.

I've been very non-active for the past 4 years, since I started drinking heavily. I'm not overweight according to the BMI calculators on the internet but I'm close to it. I have a fast metabolism so I don't gain weight easily. And I've already started losing weight since I quit drinking and started eating well and going for walks.

For the past 4 years, I walked 15 minutes a day to the store and back to get beer. Other than that, I would lock myself inside, on the couch, drinking while watching tv.

Ok, I'm going to copy and paste this, print it out and take it to my doctor.

And see you there ArtFriend! Good luck and I hope you're healthy!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your appointment goes well.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done 25 good advice above just be honest write down all questions

your doing well 25 congrats