Notices

dranked on thanksgiving

Old 11-28-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dranked on thanksgiving

So i hit the bottle a little yesterday ... not much but i did my body feels horrible... everytime i get upset with work i drink.... i have a job interview coming up for another job... i pray i get it....overall i need to learn how to deal with stress without a bottle.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Are you going aa or smart meetings ?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi tonib,
My automatic default when the stress got intense at work was to head to the liquor store, get a half pint, put it in my laptop bag, and drink at work to help 'deal with the stress'. Problem was, I couldn't always control how many times I went back to get another half pint.
My solution - I hit the skids real bad, and finally gave up on trying to fix myself. I made a commitment to really work the AA 12 Steps with my sponsor. It worked. I am now 1 year Sober and FREE...and I know you can be too.

Also, early in the process, my sponsor had me type the 3rd Step Prayer in my phone, and repeat it as often as necessary.

I worked it like doing 99 Bottles of God on the Wall.

3rd Step Prayer
God, I offer myself to You--to build with me and to do with me according to Your will.* Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Your will.* Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Your Power, Your Love, and Your Way of Life.* May I do Your will always! (Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 63)

RDBplus3....Sober & FREE
Old 11-28-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi tonib,
I pray you get the job too!
You said
Originally Posted by tonib View Post
...overall i need to learn how to deal with stress without a bottle.
Well, a very small change is to rephrase it. Because you're not dealing with the stress when you drink. You're hiding from it temporarily.
And then once you come out of hiding, the stress is stronger and fiercer than before you drank. So you're actually increasing the stress when you drink.

There are ways to deal with stress. Drinking isn't one of them, in fact it increases it. Google "Stress reduction" as a quick start, go to amazon for some books, and plan on having a little extra stress as you wean off the alcohol.
I hope you get that job!! Best of luck
Old 11-28-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi tonib. Sorry you drank, good choice posting on here though ! Stress reduction techniques and a plan will help tremendously. Do you have a sobriety plan yet?
Old 11-28-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

...overall i need to learn how to deal with stress without a bottle.
Realizing that is a good first, and necessary step. There are many ways to do this, but none of them work until you stop drinking. AA or other structured meeting/rehab/counseling/self paced recovery programs like AVRT...just to mention a few are all options. But the bottom line is than just "not drinking" rarely works. Have you tried any of these?
Old 11-28-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

No worries, we are not perfect beings. Today is a new day and not drinking today is all you can control.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You will be in much better shape for your job interview if you don't drink anymore. Good job on coming here and posting.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really don't want to go to meeting, my panic attack would be through the roof... but im going to work the twelve steps .
Old 11-28-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi tonib,
you can find a lot of aa speaker messages by doing a web search. listening to them helped me.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

meetings are to find a sponsor in the beginning, then work those steps with a sponsor!
Old 11-28-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I really don't want to go to meeting, my panic attack would be through the roof... but im going to work the twelve steps .
What would you be afraid of going to a meeting? Youll find people who have been in your shoes at one time and will help you.

Prolly the greatest fear I had was walking through the doors of my first meeting.
Fear of the unknown.
But the fear of the known- what would happen if I didn't get help- was greater.

Greatful I got me some courage to go. Best move I ever made, next to deciding I wanted what they had and was willing to go to any lengths to get it.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Toni

the main thing is you need to take drinking off the table as an option.
This may mean, for a while at least, you'll probably feel very uncomfortable sometimes and maybe even panicked.

Thats why it's good to have a support system in place.

I hope you'll use SR before you drink, and I hope you'll look for other support too, no matter how hard it might be to make that first step...it's worth it

D
Old 11-28-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Try an AA open speaker meeting. You don't have to do much of anything other than show up. You can even bring a supportive friend. Someone else stands to tell their story. What they were like, what happened and what they are like now. A not scary way to get your feet wet. The meat and potatoes is a big book study or twelve step meeting but open speaker is a good start.

Stick with it. You got a lot of good suggestions.