Notices

Still sober!

Old 11-28-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober

Still sober!

It's only been a few days, but that's huge for me. Especially since I opened a closet and found 3 cans of beer. I had stashed them away there a long time ago. Without hesitation or desire to drink, I threw them out.

I've had a phone consultation with my doctor today. Things are happening as expected. I had some concerns about possible Valium addiction, but since I only get them for 5 days, I won't get addicted.

Next week I have another appointment, face-to-face. We're going to discuss treatment options.

So I'm happy. I'm starting to feel pretty clear. Like a fog is clearing up in my head.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great to hear! Keep up the good work!!!
Old 11-28-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you're doing well.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Werll done 25 thats exellent news
Old 11-28-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great to hear you're still sober! Xoxo
Old 11-28-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Good going , well done Twentyfive
Old 11-28-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

Keep it up. Great job.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep on keepin' on.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic news twentyfive!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yay!!!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober

This was a good day. Towards the end of my addiction, I hardly ate anymore. Today my appetite came back. So I did some research on what a healthy and complete diet consists of. And today is the first day of eating healthy. I must have had malnutrition, because now that I'm eating well, I'm feeling healthy in a way that I had long forgotten about. And it gives me a lot of energy.

Even though I have thiamine tablets, I've also added a multivitamin. I'll keep taking those for a month while I keep eating healthy. I've learned that a healthy diet is all you need but I want the multivitamins to help get me back to health faster. After that, I'm going to continue my healthy diet and only take a vitamin D supplement. It's the only one you can't get enough from food. You need to spend enough time in the sun for the body to create vit. D. And where I live, the sun is only strong enough for part of the year.

I'm feeling a bit restless and anxious, but that's just withdrawal. I hope I'll sleep well but I can accept some restless sleep for a while. As long as it goes back to normal eventually.

And I'm going to add in physical exercise. I've taken 4 walks today and want to find a good gym. All these years I've been sitting, drinking. I need to get into shape.

I never thought I could do this and it was difficult at first, but now it's fairly easy. It's weird. Even though I quit just a few days ago, it seems like much longer.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey twentyfive glad to hear you are doing better. I too am starting to really eat again, and trying to do it healthy. I find this difficult, but am learning to be patient with preparing meals, and not just run out to a restaurant. I know the first sign I saw was when I first started eating, I was hungry when I would finish lol. I guess it was my body screaming "YES! MORE OF THAT PLEASE!!!"

It sounds like you have a good foundation going. I also have been having more and more energy, both from better sleep and actually fueling my body. I found walking to be a godsend at first, but eventually I need more physical activity.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey twentyfive- You're doing very well. It's clear that you have a solid plan, which is huge.

I, too, gravitated to a very strict diet, with a big focus on nutrition. (Nutritarian- coined by Dr Joel Fuhrman)

This has helped me to look at booze in a way that is really does not appeal to me much any more. Or at least not as much as I use to. I think once you add some good cardio to your routine, and continue to eat well, you'll feel even better. The cardio can be a big help with the sleep and any anxieties, as well as offer that nice natural buzz.

It is true that a healthy diet should offer most of what you need with nutrition, however from everything I've read, continuing to use a multivitamin is not a bad thing. As far as I know they are not harmful and they are fairly inexpensive. So for me, even with a high nutrition based diet, I still take one each day- just to make sure I am fully covered.

From what I can see, you've really done well with your change. This is a great example of 'reinventing yourself,' as well as creating a lifestyle where alcohol does not belong. The two things I feel are very important for the goals to abstain from booze for the long term.

Well done-

Lusher