Notices

the" I made it through Thanksging sober" post!

Old 11-28-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the" I made it through Thanksging sober" post!

25 people in the house yesterday.
Beer, wine everywhere.!!!!!
After 6 weeks sober I found it amazing to observe "social drinkers"....HOW can they have just two over the course of the day.??? oh well.....dosent really mater does it- I cannot do that!!!
SO....
I made it through- drove home, woke this morning to post this hangover free!!
HOW BOUT YOUR "I made it through "POST?????
Old 11-28-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

Congrats Livingnow
Don't you love the sober drive home I did the same thing yesterday and thought to myself wow when was the last holiday I drove home and was sober. Good feeling, keep up the good work.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I made it, as I posted yesterday my reason for staying sober was my stepson. He is a recovering heroin addict clean for over a year. He really got his life together, it's amazing. I made it through and today I know I won't drink, don't have any desire. Next goal: Christmas and New Year's.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on six weeks. I never noticed how much more I was drinking than everyone else until I quit.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it went well for you.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a bit of a test yesterday with the "normal" drinkers. My immediate family doesn't drink, so thanksgiving with them wasn't an issue. I actually had the best day with them, because I was sober and feeling good, like they remember me, but...

I wasn't wanting to be alone last night so I tagged along with the sister and husband to his parents house for their evening thanksgiving dinner. His parents are the one, maaaybe two glasses of wine types(WHAT?!?)

anyways, so I was sitting there at the dinner table and his mom says something to the affect of feeling a little tipsy, and laughing. She got up and poured out her full second glass of wine. And then amazingly to me, switched to tea and carried on the rest of the evening like it was nothing.

For some reason this triggered me BAD! I wanted a buzz! I hate wine but I was wanting to crawl into the drain and suck it all out. I collected myself and went to the bathroom, and stared at myself in the mirror as these thoughts passed through me. Five minutes later I am smiling at myself, and how silly all those thoughts were.

My sister who knows my struggles deeply, had noticed a change in me before I excused myself and asked me when I returned if I was ok. I smiled real big and said yes, I just had to let my stupid brain think something through before I got caught up in it.

Bad thing about yesterday, I ended up eating 3 thanksgiving meals. 2 with family and one with myself late last night. It's not looking good I still have left overs in the fridge lol

I woke up this morning feeling a little stronger, and proud. It hasn't been that long ago i wouldn't have went with the sister, rushed through the day so I could get home and drink.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Last Blackout

Holy cow, ditto.

Yesterday as I remained sober and watched everyone else drink a glass of wine or a beer, I wondered how they could do it.

For me, its all or nothing. Theres never just one.

It was eye opening.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Well done on six weeks. I never noticed how much more I was drinking than everyone else until I quit.
OH YES....so true!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

low key and the best one in years! great food, NO extended family to make frivolous conversation with and went to the movies! no alcohol so no guilt or anxiety
Old 11-28-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good for you!!!
Glad to hear it!

I think when we make up our minds, have a plan and keep sobriety first we can get through or enjoy many things.

Good Report!
Old 11-28-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats to all who survived! I made it through too! Beer and wine in my house and all. I made sure it all left with the guests though. When questioned why I was just having seltzer I just said that after a bout with a virus I lost my taste for it. Lol
Old 11-28-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livingnow View Post
25 people in the house yesterday. Beer, wine everywhere.!!!!! After 6 weeks sober I found it amazing to observe "social drinkers"....HOW can they have just two over the course of the day.??? oh well.....dosent really mater does it- I cannot do that!!! SO.... I made it through- drove home, woke this morning to post this hangover free!! HOW BOUT YOUR "I made it through "POST?????
Yay! Good job! I made it through too! Alcohol everywhere too! I had an escape plan and that helped. I drove separately. I too found myself staring at people while they were drinking at times. There were lots of heavy drinkers but a few that had the same glass of wine for 2 hours. (Sip sip sip. Then set it down. Eat something. Sip sip sip). They could care less about that wine. I will never understand that! Oh well. I hate wine anyway! Haha
Old 11-28-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I food binged but only do it on the 2 eating holidays every year. More treadmill this week. Congrats to all who made it w/family (sometimes a trigger for me) sober.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations, everyone! I made it too. When I first arrived my friend's partner offered me a drink, which I declined. Drank a sparkling tangerine juice instead. I'll admit, it felt weird working in the kitchen without a glass of wine at my side, but as soon as I got over the first awkward feelings, it was fine. We all went for a brisk walk after dinner, and I'm sure not drinking made that much more pleasant.

I also noticed something. While I thought everyone drinks and everyone would notice i wasn't, of the eight adults there, only six drank, and only one of them had more than one drink the whole night! A funny moment: I poured my friend's mother a glass of wine and she looked at it and said, "I'll be drinking this all night." I looked at it and thought, "In the old days, I'd have two of these drained before dinner even began."

Off for a dog walk and then heading to the barn for a morning ride!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I passed. There was even a special guest who was a distributor for a local brew co that came with a case of top line reserve that everyone was gushing over. The thing is while everyone else drank they stopped at one two or three. I'm allergic to peas, I break out in hives and my throat starts to swell. I equate alcohol to peas now, I don't have the alarm that goes off and says that'll do, any more and you'll be sorry. A horrible reaction occurs in my body when I drink.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done for getting through it

well done on week 6

im uk we dont have thanksgiving im glad you pulled through tho

im entering my 2nd sober christmas today is day 502

Well done
Old 11-28-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I made it! In spite of my in-laws best efforts I am still sober. My only binge was dessert pie!

I'm only sober 8 days, but damn if I am not proud of myself for making it through the past 36 hours.

Like I said, my in-laws did their best to drive me back to the bottle. We had 4 dogs in the house and one relative decided it would be "funny" to ring the doorbell and cause a massive stampede (my dog is a greyhound, and a sprinting grey can seriously hurt someone, she's taken my knee out on more than one occasion and put me on the ground).

Another close relative who I thought was at least a little supportive also decided not to speak a word to me in my own house. That was cool. Oh well, he has his issue and I have mine to deal with.

I also finally broke the sober-insomnia string. I slept like a log. Feeling great today. Already been out and shoveled snow and walked the dog.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I too made it through Tday! Although I didn't feel right, honestly I missed drinking and having other drinkers around. My side of the family that doesn't drink came to my house for dinner. They were boring, but I just kept reminding myself better to be bored and sober than taking that drink and starting the hll all over again. I also kept thinking is a holiday worth all the drama and disgusting issues that are long lasting that drinking will without a doubt bring. Anyway I made it , today is day 12. Just wish I could feel content. So hard to live with the drink and without it.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations to everyone who made it!
I made it through Thanksgiving too but the Turkey didn't
Old 11-28-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
I food binged but only do it on the 2 eating holidays every year. More treadmill this week. Congrats to all who made it w/family (sometimes a trigger for me) sober.
Haha I'm exercising as we speak! :-) (or type) ;-)