Notices

Black Friday

Old 11-28-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Black Friday

The original black Friday was Sept 24, 1869 when the gold market crashed along with the stock market. Then there is Black Tuesday Oct 29, 1929 when the market crashed again starting the Great Depression.

So why is the day after TG called Black Friday? Because retailers sell enough to put them in the "black" or in the profit margin.

Anyway... I have never felt the need to put on my knee pads and football helmet to get a discounted toaster from Walmart. Those people are NUTS!

Greed at its finest following a day of gluttony. Oh don't forget Digital Monday online deals!
Old 11-28-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know what is even worse-stores are now starting this on Thanksgiving. I worked in health care for many years and never minded working on a holiday but making people work on Thanksgiving just to get a jump on the black friday money is insanely greedy. What is the point of the holiday season if people do not get the chance to spend it at home with their familys?
Old 11-28-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree Sprout~! It is getting ridiculous. My mom worked at a hospital and she always volunteered to work on holidays so others could be with their families. She actually liked working on holidays as the atmosphere in the hospital was friendlier. Unlike retailers, hospitals serve a critical need.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My sister's are both in retail, one worked 6pm last night til 3am this morning. I'm going to keep enjoying my cushy laboratory 8-430pm m-f gig for now .

Bunnez
Old 11-28-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AF,
There was also the Black Plague, but you are far too young to remember that one. Typically it is the return to profitability for the year for a lot of retailers. Finally "in the black".

IRT working on thanksgiving. I agree it should be for families to get and stay together, but it does not always work that way. I was always closed in my retail stores on Thanksgiving until my competitors started opening up. I decided to ask my employees if they wanted to be open. To my surprise, 80 % volunteered. I ran skeleton crews and closed by 2:00 so everyone could be home for the T-Day dinner. The people who worked it were paid overtime, the customers were happy because we were open, and it was very profitable as labor(the largest variable factor in expenses) was small.

Personally, I wish everything was still closed on Holidays and Sundays. I don't think access to spending money 24/7 has really made our economy or bank accounts stronger.