Notices

12 hours sober - feel like crap

Old 11-27-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 hours sober - feel like crap

Well, here goes. I have been drinking heavy - 6-12 shots per night, every night, and more on weekends - for about 10 years. Fortunately, I have been able to avoid many of the negative consequences. I'd say that I was highly functional, holding down a good job and such. I am an Alcoholic.
It sucks to say it out loud, but it kind of feels good as well. I told my wife about 12 hours ago and she was great about it. I was feeling really hung over so I made myself one last drink and that was that. I feel like crap right now - I can feel my heart beating in my stomach - that's how I always know that I drank way too much the day before. Fortunately, I have the next four days off for Thanksgiving so I'll be able to Detox out of the public eye but I know it's going to be difficult. I've been reading through all of the online forums and now I have a good idea what to expect and what to watch out for. I'm not sure what I am looking for by posting this, I think it just helps me put it out in front of me in a semi-public way. Good luck everyone
Old 11-27-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome and good luck, you will get lots of support here.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please be careful. My husband drinks about the same amount and when he has tried detoxing at home it's gotten very scary - tremors, anxiety, hallucinations. Please make sure someone is with you and knows when it's time to call for medical help.

Best wishes and be safe!
Old 11-27-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the heads up

Can you walk me through what I should be expecting?

Is there any warning to when those things are going to happen?

My wife is going to stay here with me the entire time so I should be OK, thanks again.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Heregoesnothing View Post
Can you walk me through what I should be expecting?

Is there any warning to when those things are going to happen?

My wife is going to stay here with me the entire time so I should be OK, thanks again.
Not a doctor but… I found dt's can come on.. I know in the first few days every time I have quit I got depressed, shakey etc..

Not pleasant, stay on track eat well and try get plenty of sleep
Old 11-27-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fortunately, I have the next four days off for Thanksgiving so I'll be able to Detox............
Use these days wisely.
Get lots of rest, stay hydrated and eat.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
When I finally plugged the jug the professionals at the meetings suggested drinking a lot of fluids including sugar based drinks. Also it was suggested to eat sugar sweet things to compensate for the bodies want of sugar the alcohol supplied us for so long. It helps to eat healthy and start some form of Exercise like walks.
I personally found much help going to meetings where we are understood and helped to stay away a drink one day at a time in a row.

BE WELL
Old 11-27-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

HGN - I wouldn't spend a lot of time anticipating what's going to happen, your wife is with you, and assuredly you know how to get care (emergency or otherwise) if needed. Take this time to celebrate your decision. What a thanksgiving - you're ready to get sober, how awesome is that?
I got sober the day after thanksgiving three years ago.....after too much scotch. Today, I will be toasting our dinner party with Peligrino, and a fair bit of sober cash to dish out to my kids. My new thing was/is to give my kids money every time I cross a historical drinking event that I would have dumped a bunch of loot. I am shocked at the fortunes they have amassed on my sobriety....enough that both of them have brokerage trading accounts now. I'd start a red velvet fund if I had the tools to give up red velvet cake.....baby steps though!
Old 11-27-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you decided to stop drinking. You won't regret it. I've been living a sober life for nearly five years and it's very rewarding.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the club! Sucks to have to say we are alcoholics but it is freeing all at the same time. Best thing I did was say it to my husband and he has been my greatest support.

You will probably feel crappy the first few days but that does go away. Drink plenty of water, eat, rest....and if that addictive little voice in your head tells you that you feel crappy, whynot drink anyways-remind yourself that what you are going through right now is temporary and will pass.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum
Old 11-27-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! Look forward to hearing more from you!
I also just admitted I'm an alcoholic, but I'm glad too, it's almost a relief, because now I can stop with the lies, self delusions, shame, hiding and everything else that comes along with it, now it's time to get sober and into recovery!
Happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

go to an emergency room if you feel bad

glad you are staying stopped!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi - welcome and great that you've decided to stop drinking.

Here is a sticky post we have in the Alcoholism forum about detoxing:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I agree with everyone, if you feel uncomfortable call 911 or go to the ER. Before I quit for good, I had many attempts that lasted only 1-2 days and the first day of detox was awful especially towards the end of my drinking career. It's much safer and more comfortable with medical help.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tell your wife a few examples of withdraw. Have her read about it. If she seems a symptom she needs to get you to the ER. Glad you found us and happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Be patient, years of drinking can't be healed over night, the body is going to take time.

Hang in there!!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Heregoesnothing

It's normal to feel pretty bad for the first day or two. Don;t hesitate to see a Dr tho if you think you need to.

It's difficult to walk you through anything cos we're all different, but there are some experiences journalled here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 11-28-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Third Day - so far so good

I went to the Dr. yesterday to get something to ride out the detox process, it has helped alot (Librium). He gave me 5 days worth - 50mg three times a day for two days, 50mg two times a day for two days, then 50mg once a day for two days. Yesterday was uncomfortable, but nothing like the first day. Still had sweats, nausea, and a general uncomfortable feeling but I was able to sleep for the first time last night. I woke up this morning and I feel pretty good - like good enough to go to work without being uncomfortable and wondering if anyone can tell that I am hung over. I don't have to go back until Monday so if I keep feeling better, Monday should be no problem. I don't really have the urge to drink, but I'm kind of frustrated that I may never be able to have a drink again. It seems like an unreasonable thing to decide but hearing from everything else on here makes it seem like I would immediately become an alcoholic again. I would hate to have to go through this again so it definitely wouldn't be worth it. Any thoughts?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm glad you got help

Well as you have read here, people with past alcohol addiction problem cannot drink again because picking up even one would restart the whole cycle. I had many attempts trying to stay sober for 1-2-3 days for years, and every single time I ended up in the same hole when I drank again. And worse. My suggestion is that you stick with abstinence, it's not easy initially but far easier in the long run than trying to moderate or thinking about possibly drinking or not, what if... etc. Take it out of the equation completely and life becomes so much simpler after the initial struggles.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I don't really have the urge to drink, but I'm kind of frustrated that I may never be able to have a drink again. It seems like an unreasonable thing to decide but hearing from everything else on here makes it seem like I would immediately become an alcoholic again. I would hate to have to go through this again so it definitely wouldn't be worth it. Any thoughts?
A lot of people struggle with the thought of never drinking again. It helps me to take it one day at a time for now and I don't think about forever. At AA they tell you, one day at a time, in a row.

Saying that, if you can accept at some point that alcohol is not an option, it makes things a whole lot simpler.

It's early days for you yet, things will get easier.