Notices

The Why to Quit List

Old 11-26-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Why to Quit List

This list, which has evolved over time, is very personal to me but I wanted to share...it summarizes every negative feeling/emotion/behavior I have had as a result of my relationship with alcohol...

WHY TO QUIT – DAY 1: November 24, 2013

• A major life decision and turning point in life - do this when you are young and before it is too late – you have had more than enough of it and aren’t missing anything – sobriety is your priority
• Alcohol affects you differently – you will never be able to drink “socially” and what would be the point of having 1 or 2 drinks anyway – the point was always to get drunk – don’t try to convince yourself otherwise – you are in the minority with the addiction
• The negatives now outweigh the positives – it’s just not that fun anymore – it will never feel the same (as the early years) and will only progressively get worse – you don’t get a fresh start after a “break”
• Feelings of misery, depression, guilt, shame, anxiety – they will continue to haunt you if you continue to drink – drinking is the cause, not the symptom or cure
• Isolation/Loneliness – sitting at home getting drunk by myself – it’s ugly and pathetic – there are plenty of productive ways to relax
• Dangerous activities (e.g. drunk driving, unprotected sex, etc.) – you are jeopardizing your future – eventually you will hurt yourself or somebody else – think about jail, a criminal record, STDs, pregnancies
• Horrible insomnia, sweating, hangovers, headaches, nausea, suicidal thoughts – think of the constant (past) fear of going to bed
• Poor nutrition, health, workouts – low self-image, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness – you can be in the best shape of your life if you quit
• Lack of mental clarity, poor performance at work and school – think about your career and academic goals – think about how alcohol has impeded them
• Long-term damage to the brain and body – you can live a long healthy/clean/pure happy life and reverse the damage done – you are poisoning yourself in every way
• Alcohol is a toxic addictive legal drug – alcoholics are the same as drug addicts
• Inability to maintain relationships – nobody wants to be with a drunk and being drunk won’t get you a family life, marriage, and the things that (will) matter to you
• Tried to quit many times and failed – now is your time and you don’t want to start over –it will be completely demoralizing – think about how many times it took to quit smoking
• Too old to be bar-hopping – it’s irresponsible, expensive, and unattractive – look at the people around you – nothing good ever comes of it
• Loss of control of finances – bankruptcy, inability to control spending – think of the money saved and what it could be used for (international travel, material things, etc.)
• Wasted time – think of all you are missing – camping trips, fishing, skiing, climbing, golf, backpacking, mountain biking, social clubs, etc.
• Foolish behavior – loss of friends, drunk texting, injuries, acting like an unmitigated ass – you have done more than enough damage to your image/reputation
• Complete loss of control and unpredictability – anger, fighting, drug use – you are basically liable to do anything without knowing it
• Disconnected from family – embarrassment, shame, preoccupation with alcohol – it always leads to neglect/avoidance of those who matter most
• Alcoholism is not glamorous, sexy, or exciting – it is a sad downward spiral
• Alcoholism does not get you sympathy – it makes people feel sorry for you
• The vicious cycle will never end unless it is broken – drinking is simply not an option
Old 11-26-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great list SoberD

D
Old 11-26-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Better health, more money to pay bills, and best of all, I don't wake up feeling like hell and hating myself anymore.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This list is EXACTLY me. Can I copy and paste this list so I can look on it when AV comes?
Old 11-26-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great list, soberD. Lots of thought went into this.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
This list is EXACTLY me. Can I copy and paste this list so I can look on it when AV comes?
Well of course Bodhi...that's what I do with it too. In fact, it is posted on my refrigerator now...
Old 11-26-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberD View Post
Well of course Bodhi...that's what I do with it too. In fact, it is posted on my refrigerator now...
Good idea! Or on my front door, so I have to see it if I try to slink out my door in direction of the liquor store
I think I might make it a rule to read this when I get the urge.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great list Sober D
Old 11-27-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all - in times of weakness, I have found that this list can really help me (and perhaps others too)!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

~Suddenly there actually are 24 hours in a day.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sobriety has brought a lot

for one

Got a Happy Queen here at home

Sure makes for a Happy Sober King

MM
Old 11-27-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow great list soberD! this is very helpful and reminds me why I am doing what I'm doing. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I appreciate this list! Thanks