Notices

I made it a week.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I made it a week.

Last Monday i decided i was gonna stop drinking or at least to excess. Over the past week i had a few cravings here and there. We had a death in the family which didn't help as we had 20 odd people round all having a drink. My plan was to make it til Thursday. In the end i decided to head out on tue instead and so i had a few.

Should be noted i dont plan on quitting. Just cutting down.

I probably drank half of what i usually do while im out. Still had a good night and still hopeful for the week ahead. My goal is not to drink alone, simple as.

I dont mind drinking socially, drinking socially for me is maybe once a week if even. So if i can stick to that pattern i am happy enough.

Just thought id share. My cravings are minimal and coming into the Christmas period i doubt i will have time to think about it with the sheer amount of work our wee shop has going on.

Thats all folks.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, if you decide in future that cutting back isn't working for you, you know that we at SR are here.

I've had some success with cutting back, but sooner or later I overdo it. The last time was earlier this month. When I found myself hugging the toilet at 3 a.m., I thought "why am I doing this to myself?" So, now I am back to abstinence.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Jay92-

Cutting back on the drinking is certainly better than drinking in excess, however alcohol abuse is progressive. I don't think most folks in here began their life choosing to overindulge in alcohol; it just happens.

With that said, I do wish you well. And as mentioned, if things begin to worsen for you, this site can be a big help.

Lusher
Old 11-25-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you well too. I could never do it...and the fact you tried to go for a week and couldn't concerns me, but it's your life Jay.

D
Old 11-25-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the loss in the family jay.

I'm not sure what you can call success after one week.
when you discover it's too much, come on back . Complete abstinence seems to be what works.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey hey Dee! My original plan was to make it a week i then decided i would wait until my next outing which at the time was bingo on the Thursday. I went on Tuesday instead as it was cheaper and i will not be going on Thursday.

Im sure your comment was not meant to be condescending but it came out like that on my end :P

Either way i resisted the urge to drink "Unnecessarily" and that for me personally is a battle won.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are in denial or in the wrong forum

Cutting down isn't part of the deal

If it was THAT WOULD BE SWEET

if you are not an alcoholic and can drink "socially" with no repercussions than more power to you. Consider yourself a lucky SOB and have one for me
Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always struggle with moderation posts Jay.

if I say nothing I kind feel like I bottled out...
if I say something often I get accused of being a jerk.

To be honest if it means you or someone else reading your thread might not make the same mistakes as I did, I can handle being thought of as an ass

Sorry you took it as condescending though. Thats the last thing I am.

I do wish you well, and as long as you're cutting back, I'll bow out of your threads from here on in

D
Old 11-25-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jay92 I wish you the best. I succeeded in quitting for 70 days and was active in the forum during that time. I made a conscious decision to start drinking again in moderation, but I still kept coming to the forum to lurk in the shadows and read the posts. I thought I had a great moderation plan that involved a system of not drinking over so many times in a week, drinking less, measuring drinks out to the ml using a scale and clock watching and setting a timer so I didn't drink too fast. It ended up being a lot of work and things slowly progressed until that Saturday I started at noon and surprised even myself by polishing off 750ml of straight vodka followed by some red wine by that evening and experienced one of my first multiple day hangovers. I am now back into sobriety admitting that I'm powerless over alcohol and that my life had become unmanageable, so moderation is no longer an option for me to have a happy, fulfilled life. Keep close to SR; there are some good folks here with a lot of wisdom.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you can pull it off long-term Jay, more power to you - unfortunately, I have tried literally hundreds of times to moderate, and my problem only worsened over the last decade or so. Sincerely wish you the best of luck though.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Moderation is just too much work for many of us, Jay. I sure hope you can meet your goals, though!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Jay,
Sorry to hear of your family loss.

It is an achievement to cut down your intake, as you said.

I wish you the very best with your moderation, but as others have said, if you ever feel that your drinking has become unmanagable, we are always here for support.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Jay if your plan to cut down doesnt work then what ? if you cant control it now what makes you think you can control it in the future..... and why on a sobriety website and not a moderation site ?

Jay i also had a death in the family and a 5 year remembrance 5 days apart just last week so that was tough but i stayed sober alcohol is ****

What attracts you so much to alcohol that you only want to cut down ?

i say this as if your truly learning how to control drinking then all your doing is getting drunk right ?

you dont need alcohol to be you and alcohol certainly doesnt deserve you

the choice is yours to drink can i ask why do you drink ?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you decide to stop drinking Jay, we're here to help.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jay92 View Post
Should be noted i dont plan on quitting. Just cutting down.
The same kind of thinking kept me drinking for 35 years. The last ten, alcoholically.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you could drink moderatelly, you wouldn't sign up at this forum.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Be careful, jay. Keep an open mind and listen to what your heart, mind, and spirit are saying
Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Be careful, jay. An I just gotta be honest: I opened the thread and clicked thanks before really reading about the plan of moderation. I hope it works for you. I spent 20 plus years trying to moderate, so I cannot speak to this as an approach. Didn't work for me.