Explaining addiction to a child

Old 11-25-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Explaining addiction to a child

How do you explain drug addiction to an 11 year old? I realize 11 isn't a baby but the addict is her big brother who is like her hero. And she is the type of kid who will take on the burden of worrying about him. Additionally, he is living on the streets right now so we have no idea when we will see him again.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

By eleven I knew about drugs. Someone in my middle school had died of an overdose, and I knew people who smoked pot and drank. My parents drank. The eleven year old knows more than you think.

I think be as honest as you can be. Eleven is old enough to start using, it's old enough to know it can lead to very bad things.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Where I live the kids are drilled in school about drug use. When I told my 13 and soon to be 15 year olds about my AH's meth addiction, they had stuff to educate me! They had already lived through the consequences but we just keep talking about it. The most important thing I think is to emphasized that your child has no fault in the addict's using. As far as my kids are concerned, my AH has a severe illness due to trying the drugs, that is now difficult to treat but I'm honest that he also chooses not to treat it. That mostly he's so compelled to use it, that he just can't make good decisions anymore so he can't be around us. Honestly I think whatever is the truth in your situation if fine.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's a physical, mental and spiritual sickness.

With a little discussion an 11 year old will understand more than we think.

MM
Old 11-25-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

I have a lot of good things in my blog about Children of Substance Abusers
Old 11-25-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great cynicalone, thank you! We have all worked hard to shield her from this and it hasn't been going on long so I don't think she suspects he's on drugs but she definitely knows something isn't right. I know she has learned about drugs and alcohol in school but it's different when it's your own brother. I know it will really scare her because she does know drugs are bad. Just hate to cause her that kind of anxiety but it's time she learns the truth. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you have Alateen meetings available in your area? That might be a good resource for her to learn to deal with those feelings of anxiety and sadness that come up. So sorry your family is going through this. Hugs.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info Cynical. I've been reading through it. I must have overlooked it before but there's some good stuff in there.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

YOu may want to show her this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzkA7ArGkak