Notices

Thanksgiving and 60 days sober

Old 11-25-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanksgiving and 60 days sober

My 60 day mark is Thursday, Thanksgiving for us in the States. I was thinking about how thankful I am to be at this point in my quest for sobriety. I knew that "one day" I would have to give up drinking because deep down I knew it had been a problem for a long time. I just never could decide when that day would be.

Turning 40 was a morality wake up call for me, and that was a large part of the reason I started this. Having two small ones, (6 & 4) and wanting to see them graduate and get married someday also edged me along. However it was the sad state and the fact my wife found my stash of vodka that really caused the fight to the point of catalyst to get me seriously started on the road.

It was a combination of timing and fortune that got me finally serious about making change. Now that I am making the change and approaching 60 days, I am scared shipless to fall off the wagon. I am not sure the perfect storm will come around again to inspire me. I am fearful of all the stories I read on the long term recovery that is ruined by an event and the person is sucked back into that depressing lifestyle for years, or never pulls up the yoke and dies in their 50's anyway.

I am grateful to the SR family for having an anonymous place to recharge my fight. I often read and sometimes post. I don't have the balls to do AA...too proud and foolish. This works for me.

Congratulations to all the people here in recovery. From 1 hour to 80 years and everyone in between. It is a constant quest. Some days easier then others. A lot of broken hearts and broken promises along the way. The important thing is that you still come back and still try. Golf is a game that can't be won, only played. I feel the same with recovery, it is a going concern that can never be won, just played day to day, and we do our best every day we have another opportunity.

I wish you all well in your sobriety, wish you all a peaceful Holiday season with your family, and wanted to express my gratitude for everyone that has touched my life in regards to my sobriety! Thank you!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Barnumb

D
Old 11-25-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Love this post thank you & well done Barnumb
Old 11-25-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Soberwolf, you are always right there for me...I appreciate that!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, hardly recognized you. You changed up your profile! I like.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anytime Barnumb i also like D's new pic & sig really love the sig

spk soon friend
Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Barnumb, well done on 60 days. Thank you for the post. It's spot on. Sobriety and recovery can never be won, only played. And played one day at a time. It's hard not to project into the further sometimes. The "what if I mess this up?" But you won't know unless you do your best one day at a time and let go of those fears just for today.

Keep going!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Funny - that is exactly how I pictured Dee to look like
And Soberwolf, there is a guy in my AA meetings that in my mind you look like, and in my head his nickname is Soberwolf.

Now, on to my Sober Date Partner, Barnumb - I am so proud of you. You and I are so similar in so many ways. I have realized my mid life "crisis" in turning 40 this year is not a crisis at all. It is a "realization". I too realized that the boozing days had to come to an end. That I have tested the limit so many times. That I can not stop at one. That I have an amazing family that loves me. That I have a legacy to share with my son's and damn if it is going to be their mother is a wino.
Happy Thanksgiving to you, you deserve happiness and a sober celebration with your family. Enjoy. I will raise a glass of sparkling diet coke to you on Thurs from up North
Old 11-25-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congratulations Barnumb, this should be a very thankful Thanksgiving for everyone in your life. Well done.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ellay, you are awesome. I really relate to you. You will be in my thoughts as well and I wish you and your family a great Thanksgiving too.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Congrats Barnumb, awesome dude

Great post too.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great stuff Barnumb!!