Notices

Hello... came back

Old 11-24-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello... came back

I stumbled and was very disappointed in myself. But I'm back and on Day 3. I'll be honest, I never thought I be at this point in my life. I really thought that one day my Dr. would tell me my liver enzymes are high or I have liver damage, but that never happened. I go to the doctor every 3 months to check cholesterol, etc. (including liver, cbc, etc.) - a bunch of blood tests are run.... and no issues. The attempts I am making now are not out of medical direction, but personal... work, family, finances... which I am sure many of you have similar reasons. My "plan" was to work more hours instead of hitting the bar... but what I find myself doing... is working the more hours... and still hitting the bar. Any suggestions for a better plan?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

don't hit the bar
Old 11-24-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back charlie. Not hitting the bar is certainly a good place to start as Lbrain suggests.

Having said that, simply "not drinking" is not a plan. Either is just working more. A "plan" can mean a lot of things, for some its' AA, for some it's rehab, for some it's AVRT or a whole host of other things. But the bottom line is that you have to have specific tasks and time in your life dedicated to getting and staying sober. For me, my "plan" initially involved some face to face meetings, and a lot of time spent here on SR. It also included a lot of honesty - with myself, my family and others - admitting and accepting my addiction.

Your plan can be whatever you like it to be, and you can read a lot more about the various methods here.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 3 Charlie

For me it started with Acceptance and then i built my sober muscles up

no matter what happens i dont drink it isnt an option

i sent you some links that you can print off and keep for reading

pm anytime
Old 11-24-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey charlieinthebox-

First, congrats on day-3!
Any suggestions for a better plan?
In my opinion, if a person is having any issues with excess alcohol use, be it the amount each day, or the amount of days they drink, and they have a desire to stop, then it should be a full commitment. In-other-words, no more drinking and no compromises.

I read about how your enzymes seem to be fine, which is great. However, the alcohol can wreck many other parts of your life, as you might already know. Plus it's a progressive thing as well.

I think it might be more of a push in the right direction if a person feels as if their health is in question, such as in my case, but it really does not need to come down to that. There are other aspects of one's health, that might not show up in a blood work up. IE: Relationships, etc...

The best thing is to commit to yourself that alcohol is no longer an option, then try and replace the bar time with something else. Perhaps some form of a fitness plan, or something of that nature?

I do wish you well with your goals!

Lusher
Old 11-24-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
Being undisciplined more than normal and wanting to continue doing things my way led me to needing to follow a plan that has worked for millions world wide.
It involved me going to a lot of meetings for a long time to see what happens to people who continue to do things their way and drink. Mental hospitals have a difficult time with wet brains along with the families.
Getting sober and staying/living sober are separate goals that I had. Fortunately the first was easy because I surrendered to the fact I cannot drink in safety one day at a time in safety in a row.
Denial is the biggest reason alcoholics can’t sober up for long term and in my case it was because I couldn’t get honest with myself about my drinking.
Many seem to be ignorant about the workings of AA or think that because they went to A meeting they have major misgivings. All I can say it works IF we work it.
Whatever program chosen stick with it because the programs are not usually the weak link, people are.

BE WELL
Old 11-24-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

My "plan" was to work more hours instead of hitting the bar... but what I find myself doing... is working the more hours... and still hitting the bar. Any suggestions for a better plan?
Balance was key for me...too much work and I needed a drink to stop myself exploding...too little work and I got bored and drank...

A plan is all about identifying the things that lead you to drinking...and finding alternative ways to deal with those things.

like LBrain said...don't hit the bar.

You seem like an intelligent guy - what other healthier ways are there for you to wind down?

are there was for you to have less stress - can you work less? delegate more? change the way you respond to things?

Is your life in balance...or not?

Give it some thought Charlie

D
Old 11-24-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. All of these stories are so familiar to me. I was just reading one of your responses to someone else's thread (I didn't want to hijack their thread) and you used the word "auto pilot". That "auto pilot" is how I've described my drinking. It was never intentional to keep drinking... I just kinda went on an "auto pilot" - it took over and before I knew it I was a whole bunch of drinks past the initial "1 or 2" that I set out for. It's funny - I thought "auto pilot" was my own thing, my own way of describing it. And you posted the same thing. I wonder how many others have described it this way. Up until now, it was just me (so I thought).
Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I, too, went on an auto pilot with drinking. Agree with Dee about balance: you don't want to end up working so much that you end up drinking, either to relax or to reward.

What are your dreams? Anything that you've really wanted to do that you haven't been able to pursue due to alcohol? I find that for me what has really helped is to connect with new routines and new goals. And to take very good care of myself.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Working more hours seems to sound fine in theory, but isn't all that work getting to you? How about a hobby? Or exercise? Or at least think about scheduling in something enjoyable... a break maybe
Old 11-24-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You guys are right. I need to rethink my plan. Although the extra pay isn't bad lol. Made it through day 3 - had something to eat (hunger trigger thwarted) and spent time reading on this site. I'm home so I won't be drinking now. Going to bed shortly and starting day 4 tomorrow. G'nite all! Day 4 again. If I make it PAST tomorrow it'll be a new record for me (for many many years) . Jeez. I sound like a kid being new to this stuff. But it will be nice to wake up again not feeling guilty or ill.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd try working less, hitting the gym or some other enjoyable activity to unwind, and don't hit the bar.