Notices

anyone use Kava?

Old 11-24-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anyone use Kava?

Ive found it to be awesome in regards to curbing anxiety- therefore helping me keep my quit resolve.
Do you use Java?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have not heard of it, although a quick google search suggests that it's been banned in many countries due to possible toxic effects, especially in the liver. I'd suggest checking with your doctor before using it or any other supplement.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had great results with ashwagandha and holy basil.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I havnt tried it no sorry
Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've used it before but it was a long time ago. I do currently use Theanine Serene which contains GABA, Taurine, L-Theanine, magnesium, relora, and holy basil leaf. It seems to help. The effect is subtle though, not dramatic... so it doesn't work in the same way as a benzo or alcohol does, and doesn't trip my addiction wire at all.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I sometimes use kava and it helps with sleep. That part about the liver was put out there to scare people, I think. A little more research and I discovered it only hurts the liver when leaves instead of root are used...and no one should be using leaves here in the US. Well that is what Google searches told me anyway

Last edited by lovesymphony; 11-24-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: re-word
Old 11-24-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My X usto use Kava, it did seem to work. I think he drank it as a tea if I remember correctly.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I don't use it, it raises my bp despite it having sedative effects.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
pray for strength

I tried this when I was young, fit and using no other supplements or meds - it made my calves swell painfully. Like fluid retention. So I never tried it again. Not even in a tea. It is great to read that something is helpful for you though.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've seen a lot of posts (here, I think) about chamomile and valerian root to ease anxiety. I know chamomile really calms my nerves, and I remember years ago hearing about liver problems and Kava, so I avoided it.

Crazy though - all the warnings about liver problems and drinking seemed to go in one ear and out the other.

Earlyriser
Old 11-24-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes I sometimes use kava and it helps with sleep. That part about the liver was put out there to scare people, I think.
I've drunk traditional Kava - made from the root...tastes like muddy water and it is intoxicating.

I have no reason to doubt that, in whatever form, it may have an effect on the liver if you take too much, use it for a long period, or already have some liver damage.

It may also interact with other meds and it's not recommended in pregnancy.

It's been a real problem among some indigenous communities
Alcohol and Other Drugs - Kava

Common sense suggests the powdered form is not as potent or it wouldn't be for sale anywhere.

But like anything, just because it's natural doesn't mean it's intrinsically good.

D
Old 11-24-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I actually drink "Kava Stress Relief" tea (it has kava but also mixed with cinnamon, sarsaparilla, cardamon, ginger and carob pod). It's very tasty. But I did have to get it across the border as it is indeed illegal here in Canada (kava). And yes, the box does specifically state to see your doc if you drink alcohol frequently or have liver issues.

Ya..I didn't ask anybody : )
Old 11-24-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

When I went to Fiji I did partake in a Kava ceremony. It's pretty disgusting stuff.

But I heard from a lot of the native women that their men sit around drinking Kava all day while the women do the work. The effects, from what I gathered, were more like sitting around smoking weed all day--that it reducers motivation and any sense of responsibility, at least when it's consumed in excessive quantities.

From the small taste I had, there was absolutely no danger of my making a habit of it--YUCK!
Old 11-24-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I lived in Tonga, the villages had Kava parties every night. I went to a few, I only noticed my tongue getting numb, but I also heard that Tongan kava is much weaker than some others. I did notice that a lot of Tongans seemed to get very intoxicated on that muddy water.