Long time no see...

Old 11-23-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long time no see...

Apparently it has been over 3 months since I've last posted here after breaking up with my XABF. Even though it hasn't been a pleasant 3 months, I am happy to say that I am healthy, feeling strong, and so blessed to have had your support when I needed it most.

An update: 2 months after breaking up with him, I moved back home because I got a new job!! Crazy quick, but I'm taking things one step at a time and enjoying the time home with my family. Especially because I feel so healthy compared to when I last lived here (my AM has thankfully been conscious of her drinking around me and respected my distaste for it). I even cut my hair! Might as well make all of the changes!

The reason I was drawn back here is because one of my brothers got a DUI last night. My parents have been worried he may have a problem, and this has only cemented it in their minds. I was there when my mom got the call and was able to talk with her about my XABF's DUI experience and what to expect. I am realizing that I may be entering into a very difficult position, because my mom was already thinking about what actions they will require him to take. While it is great that they are taking it so seriously (he started drinking 4 years ago when he went to college), I've also voiced my opinion that they can recommend ideas, but his treatment needs to be on his terms first and foremost. While I want to help spread information to my family, I do not want to suddenly be their main alcoholic therapist and support group.

Any advice or previous experience is greatly appreciated! So far I feel good with how I've dealt with it personally. Also, if anyone has had experience with a first time DUI offense in Connecticut, let me know! It seems like he could take a Pretrial Alcohol Educational Program and then it will be wiped from his record. Does that really happen?

Again, I'm sorry I've been so absent! You all are amazing
Old 11-23-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad to hear you're doing so well! Not sure about CT DUIs--he should talk to a lawyer, who can explain the whole thing and answer any questions.