Notices

Self discoveries

Old 11-23-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self discoveries

I m only 2 days sober. But I drank a fifth of Jack Daniels almost every day for the last couple of years. I last drank a fifth 11/18. I drank a pint 11/19, a half pint 11/20 and I have had no alcohol for 2 days. I already notice my thinking is a little clearer. However, I don't like what I am learning about myself and it makes me very uncomfortable. Any advice?
Old 11-23-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It can hurt to wake up from the alcoholic haze and discover things about yourself that aren't pleasant.

Awareness is a blessing. It is necessary before lasting changes can be made.

My suggestion is to have patience with yourself in early sobriety. Let yourself find some comfort in knowing you can indeed change in time.

You may not be the person you'd like to be yet, and you may not be in the place or circumstances in life you'd prefer... but if you stay sober long enough, you will have the chance to change for the better.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I saw a counselor (still do) once a week and made daily visits here. So far that's gotten me to nearly five years sober.

I found the counselor very helpful, not just in getting sober but in sorting out my life and its difficulties. I only go once a month now but still find her input very helpful. A good counselor is worth his or her weight in gold.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey JackieDaniels- I just wanted to say congrats on the two days. I think that it's great that you're making the decision to stop. You're in a great site for support as well, which can be a big help.

I look forward to seeing you around.

Lusher
Old 11-23-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You may be in for a bit of an emotional roller-coaster in the next few weeks. I drank a fifth of vodka daily for about two years during which ignorance was bliss. I had no self-awareness of how much I was destroying my life.

Your body and mind are gonna need some time to adjust without alcohol. Anxiety is very common and you may have disturbed sleep. Feel free to post here if things get too much.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, it can be a bittersweet awakening, for sure.

My advice is that you can definitely make it through the uncomfortable feelings and move on to living the life you want and being the best person you can be.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi JD,

Glad you've decided to give sobriety a go. The discomfort you are feeling is actually not a bad thing, believe or not. It can be sign that you are on to some important changes as a result of your current discoveries. Try not to be afraid of it. Plus, you are most likely in withdrawal... all will get much better soon, just stay sober.

I second least about counseling. I also started to see a therapist back in the spring, and it's been very helpful in many areas. His suggestions and the work we have been doing together have helped me turn over several things that, while I was quite aware of them already, kept failing and failing when I tried to change. Many of these only required just a little push as I was already almost there, but I have to thank him for that little push. Our sessions, the homework I'm getting, and the whole process is also fun. So yeah, I really recommend it, and would add to make a little investigation before you choose and commit to someone you feel compatible with.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you JD. Great to have you part of us.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. I find them very comforting. Onward to day 3!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Jackie daniels for day 3 have you got a plan ?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

JD, welcome!

It gets better. The crazy brain will slow down and give you peace. Just don't pick up a drink.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Jackie Daniels, Emotions and feelings will run riot on you, they do on me. 36 days and more comes to light everyday. I have surrounded myself by friends in AA, and spend a lot of time with my sponsor either in person, or on the phone. Helps to have that person there that you know knows what your are going through. I spend time here, but truly find the best help from those I can see face to face. Or while at work being able to call or text them when in need.

If your going the AA route, get to meetings, lead meetings are ok, but find the discussion meetings much more helpful for me. Also when at the meetings get a sponsor, and all the numbers you can to call when you need help. Get enough numbers and even if you can't get an answer from any of them by the time you reach the end of the list the urge might pass you by to drink.

Don't think in terms of not drinking forever, just don't drink today, tomorrow is nothing but a today that isn't here yet. Needs not be worried over.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome JD !

We're glad your here. Just remember, Read and Post !...Read and Post!...and soon you will be learning things about yourself with the help of other's that you will like !

Take it easy...Be good to yourself and soon you'll be seeing a whole new you and you'll like what you see.

Dave
Old 11-24-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, JD .Good to meet you. The self discovery is all part of getting sober; emotions will be up and down for a while, as well as thought processes.

You' ll find lots of support here; feel free to post whenever you need to.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on the big leap Jackie. I know that sobriety has led me to face many uncomfortable thoughts-- the very reasons I drank in the first place. It's tough but a very worthwhile adventure, and it just gets better. I'm working abroad in a place where I don't speak the language, so counseling isn't an option for me right now. If it were, I think it would be a good idea.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Sobriety can be quite the journey, though it's still early days!!

More Sober time is the priority for now, rebuilding a life can wait!!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done JD, 2 days is fantastic, sometimes it can feel like 2 years so really well done, keep going
Old 11-24-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by JackieDaniels View Post
I m only 2 days sober. But I drank a fifth of Jack Daniels almost every day for the last couple of years. I last drank a fifth 11/18. I drank a pint 11/19, a half pint 11/20 and I have had no alcohol for 2 days. I already notice my thinking is a little clearer. However, I don't like what I am learning about myself and it makes me very uncomfortable. Any advice?
Give yourself a break and be thankful JD didn't kill you. All that I needed to do initially was eat, sleep and stay sober - not in the order

Glad you're here with us!!! Happy sober Monday Jack!!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's never comfortable to give up an addiction but you're headed in the right direction JD...it gets better I promise

Welcome aboard
D
Old 11-24-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, JackieD! When I first started this journey I was told to read and post on SR a lot. That advice was golden so I'll pass it on.