Notices

Drunks spoiling for a fight

Old 11-23-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunks spoiling for a fight

Hi guys,

Yesterday evening I took my dog for a walk, while I was walking past a pub, two rough looking middle aged drunks started taking the ****, one of them started singing the Disney frozen song "let it go...let it go!" at me (well I say singing but more like shouting). I just smirked with amusement and continued walking past, but then my dog got all protective and stood still growling at the drunks, one of the drunks goes "oh look....its because we are attacking his dad!" (Me), that f**ked me off a lot but I just kept walking, then the final insult was when we where past the pub the drunk shouts "go on!....trot on!"......

Obviously they felt threatened by me, I'm a big bloke, 6ft 2 and 210 pounds, I know getting into a fight would have been a stupid thing to do.....but why 24 hours later do i feel like I should have dropped the pair of them?....seething with rage right now!
Old 11-23-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You love your dog and you take care of it and exercise it.
Two drunks made asses of themselves - why let that bother you, man?

be cool and let it go

D
Old 11-23-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh man I know that exact feeling of anger and rage after a situation like that.

I walked past a pub and had some old drinking "friends" shouting abuse one time, I had all kinds of images in my head of going back and doing some sweet ninja kick on them or something.

With anything like that though, you did the right thing just ignoring it, those people have to live with themselves.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

take it with a pinch of salt, dont let them live in your head anymore, its pointless,

if you had of dropped them then you might of ended up in big trouble or probably been sued by the pair for something or other the way things go these days

just let it go and focus on something more positive that will make you smile instead of wanting to hit out

: )
Old 11-23-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Always sober sorry you had to experience that just know you done the right thing

my late mother used to say if you know you can win the fight then there is no need to fight and the bigger man walks away

you done well
Old 11-23-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Anger with me as an alcoholic was huge, as with most of us. Now in sobriety learning to deal with justifiable anger is a strange animal.... I am there with ya, learning!

Glad you posted this, it's helpful to know none of us are alone as we grow....Old Fly would have either gotten in a brawl, shouted some jazz back or plotted revenge.
Hell, old Fly might have been the arse yelling at you!

So from that perspective, let me apologize. I acted inappropriately and was frankly jealous watching you do something productive - enjoying some peaceful time with your pal. I was wrong.....sorry.

Glad you're here with us (me ! ).

FlyN
Old 11-23-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just......let it go,........let it go.
I'm much more dangerious sober now. And so are you, so water off your back like a duck.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
my late mother used to say if you know you can win the fight then there is no need to fight and the bigger man walks away
I love this and want to teach my two boys this!

Yes, Alwayssober, you had to walk away - you did the right thing.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies!

I think because the dog was with me, they can insult me as much as they want....I'll have to take the dent to my ego .....it was when they mentioned my 4 legged mate, they might as well have insulted my kids if I had any! Lol.

Obviously i wouldn't be much good keeping my dog safe if I'm fighting, he is my priority.....now if my two brothers were with me it might have been a different story! Lol.

But seriously I think it stems back from being bullied at school, I made a promise to myself that I would no longer take any s**t from anyone, I noticed I'm a lot angrier now I'm sober .....jeez!.....I think I need therapy!
Old 11-23-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Always, I think your dog knew who the good guy in this was.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Maybe you just need to reconsider what it means to not take s**t from anyone. It can simply mean not taking their s**t with you.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I would've felt the same way AS. I hope it helped to vent on here.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ok so maybe I didnt understand- but why were they singing a Frozen song? I mean if some grown adults are going to sing a Disney song, what does that say about them? Kind of stupid if you ask me...
Old 11-23-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I would've felt the same way AS. I hope it helped to vent on here.
It did!...thanks!
Old 11-23-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlwaysSober1 View Post
It did!...thanks!
Awesome! Feelings...anger is always a messenger and you have every right to (and you darn well should)...FEEL them. Often when we feel disrespected in some way, we get upset. The magic is to have the damn feeling...just don't ACT on them in a way that hurts you or others. Venting about it is awesome! We just need to be heard sometimes.

With all due respect, telling someone to snap out of 'er or "let it go" is discounting someone's feeling and telling them they are wrong for having them. Feelings are not wrong....ACTING on them in a way that harms is.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I found out early that it didn't matter if I won a fight. I always hurt afterwards. Physically and/or mentally. You did good.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Think about it this way….this morning they were hungover, and they had that dreaded song stuck in their head. Way worse than getting beat up…..
Old 11-23-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Screw it! You are probably the only one that remembers it anyway. Maybe that was their idea of being charming.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Awesome! Feelings...anger is always a messenger and you have every right to (and you darn well should)...FEEL them. Often when we feel disrespected in some way, we get upset. The magic is to have the damn feeling...just don't ACT on them in a way that hurts you or others. Venting about it is awesome! We just need to be heard sometimes.

With all due respect, telling someone to snap out of 'er or "let it go" is discounting someone's feeling and telling them they are wrong for having them. Feelings are not wrong....ACTING on them in a way that harms is.
i hope that wasnt aimed at my comment about letting things go but let me explain if it was as to why it so important to learn how to let things like this go

if someone got to me and hurt me i would sit there all day and think about it, i would feel it in my guts and hurt over it
my mind would obess over getting my own back or making them pay for it
all day long i can think like this or a week long or however long
unless i stop doing it right away as soon as i can, i have to let it go as it will do me no good at all

i can end up being lead back to drink on it as my mind will not let it go

so it takes real effort and discipline to go off and do something else rather than sit there feeling sorry for myself
this is how resentments start and how they grow in the mind and how dangerous they can be for me

so with respect i will try to let things go if its all the same to you and you can sit there feeling whatever you wish to feel if thats what you think will help you

but personaly i would tell anyone to try to learn how to let things go as there is a bonus and its peace of mind that comes with it

i have been brought up to believe in letting things go and the proof i have for myself that it works is that i know what happens to me if i dont let go, i know how i will obbess over the problem and its just no good at all for me

so i hope you can understand a bit more about why it would be i should say to let things go ?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
Just......let it go,........let it go.
I'm much more dangerious sober now. And so are you, so water off your back like a duck.
Haha no doubt, I have been working-out but wouldn't want to drop my ninja on some pickled sucka's!

I'll reserve my kung-fu for Jame's Bond type villains. Can't be distracted by the idiot-fodder when there are true masterminds planning world domination.