Notices

New here, ruining my life with alcohol

Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, ruining my life with alcohol

Hi everyone,

I've been drinking way too much for years. I'm a binge drinker, 2-4 times a week. starting to blackout a lot now. The other night I blacked out and became verbally abusive to my boyfriend ( again) and threw my drink in his face. I've been going through a rough patch lately ( school, a business, family problems, childhood issues surfacing) getting drunk and taking it out on him. I have done this in previous relationships as well. I'm a mean drunk after a certain point.
Luckily I haven't destroyed my life, but I will if I continue like this. Im losing clients at work, missing class, I have lost friends over my blackouts, woken up in bed with a stranger, now my boyfriend broke up with me.
Anyway, I need to stay away from alcohol and do some serious work on myself.
I'm trying to stay positive, my grades are still good, my business is somewhat in tact and the damage can be fixed.
My boyfriend and I were going to go backpacking in Cuba next month, but he cancelled his flight, I decided to keep mine and go alone, I could use some beach life and I'd love to see the ocean soon.
I started going to AA a couple days ago, I really like it, though I'm not religious and don't really want to work the steps, but I'll keep going. I love the people.
I got a nighttime job to keep me busy in the evenings, I'm looking forward to being an employee and not the employer, just have to show up, not run everything.
I just need to stay sober, I'm so embarrassed and disgusted with myself. So much shame. But I can move forward with a little help, I don't trust myself completely, but I think with support I can do this.
I look forward to this journey and a new chapter in my life, and also meeting some new people on here.
Thanks for listening to my pathetic story
Old 11-23-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum its really nice to meet you Jsbodhi

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-25-a-22.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-13.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-42-a-12.html

Youl find nothing but support here the 3 links are support links that youl hopefully find useful
Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Jsbodhi

I don't think it's pathetic to realise the problem and want to change.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Jsbodhi. I could be the male version of you. Drinking was always fun for me with no major repercussions until my mid-20's. I found myself drinking more when socializing and for the first time I started drinking alone. It was around this time that I began drinking to the 'blackout' stage on occasion and would say and do things totally out of character. I ruined many relationships and friendships directly as a result of my drinking. My career suffered immensely as well.

I didn't do anything about my alcohol abuse until I had pretty much lost everything. It sounds like you are aware that you have a problem. Address your drinking now while you still have a life to save. I waited too long. Ended up on my parents doorstep at age 34 with nothing but 2 suitcases. Job, car, condo, girlfriend all gone.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Welcome Jsbodhi. I could be the male version of you. Drinking was always fun for me with no major repercussions until my mid-20's. I found myself drinking more when socializing and for the first time I started drinking alone. It was around this time that I began drinking to the 'blackout' stage on occasion and would say and do things totally out of character. I ruined many relationships and friendships directly as a result of my drinking. My career suffered immensely as well.

I didn't do anything about my alcohol abuse until I had pretty much lost everything. It sounds like you are aware that you have a problem. Address your drinking now while you still have a life to save. I waited too long. Ended up on my parents doorstep at age 34 with nothing but 2 suitcases. Job, car, condo, girlfriend all gone.
I hear ya, I'm 31, if I don't stop, by 34 I'm going to be in the exact same situation.
Thanks so much for replying!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Hi everyone,

Anyway, I need to stay away from alcohol and do some serious work on myself.
I started going to AA a couple days ago, I really like it, though I'm not religious and don't really want to work the steps, but I'll keep going. I love the people.
I look forward to this journey and a new chapter in my life, and also meeting some new people on here.
Thanks for listening to my pathetic story

HI.
There is a lot of help here and also many that don’t/can’t make it because they want to continue basically doing things their way which hasn’t worked.
In my experience AA will work IF the “directions are followed” and we avoid the short cuts.
Reading “How it Works” for an indication.
Lets also remember that we screwed up some of our system, both mental and emotional and it will take time to mend if we don’t drink one day at a time in a row.
I strongly suggest having a sponsor your comfortable with. A sponsor is sort of a guide that is of great value getting sober, the thing is we need to use them to benefit.

BE WELL
Old 11-23-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll echo what Wasting has said: this scenario is one I can relate to and I, too, lost everything. I'm 28 and am starting from scratch. I'm very glad you're realizing just what's at stake before you lose anything else.

Welcome, friend
Old 11-23-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jsbodhi. I think you made a smart choice to work on getting soher now before things get worse. Post offen, everyone on this site is fabulous!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks!
I was mentioning in another thread about how my boyfriend filmed me during a blackout during the fight the other night. Not pretty....
Blank dead eyes, really red wine stained mouth, weird look on my face, like a psycho zombie. Didn't even look like me. Not a clip I'd like to see again... :/
Definitely need to straighten out and get a bloody grip
Old 11-23-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can relate, everything you list there are many people here who have experienced exactly the same things. The main thing to remember is that things get so, so much better IF you decide to stop drinking.

I didn't get on with AA either, there are other options out there
Old 11-23-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you decided to get sober. It takes some effort but is well worth it.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

I suggest you work those steps, you will get to know you better.

glad you found SR!