Notices

Me yet again!

Old 11-22-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me yet again!

Hello everyone! I'm back again! Below is the first post I ever posted last year, yet I'm still drinking. I really want this coming Monday to be the day that I stop. I just want to ask you all, what did you do to get through that first day? I find myself so positive in the morning, excited even, that this is the day I'm going to stop. By 4/5pm I've convinced myself that if I just buy two 187ml bottles (one glass of wine in each) I'm ok. I do this until Wednesday then think I've done so well, I can buy a full bottle because I've been so good for three days!

If you can take the time to read my first post below I'd be so grateful. I really need to sort myself out and just not buy that first bottle!

Thank you everyone.

Xxxxxxx

Well I've finally joined! I've been watching this site for ages and I've finally joined. What a relief! I already feel like I've taken a huge step just by joining. I'm Natasha. I'm 37 and I live in Southampton, UK. Probably, since my daughter was born five years ago I could count on two hands the amountof days I haven't had a drink. I'm not saying I've been drunk every day, but I'm const thinking about wine and when I wake up in the morning I'm instantly looking forward to my drink at 7pm when my daughter is in bed. Tomorrow is going to be my first day sober and I'm determined to make it happen this time. I've tried before, but not actually tried (if that makes sense! ) I look forward to posting on here to let you know that I managed 24 hours sober, then 48 and so on! Wish me luck and good luck to everyone else on their journey. Xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-22-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

xpan: I took the time to read your very first post because I want to reassure you that we are all here still rooting for you

I'm 49 and a single mom of a 12 year old boy. I have been sober for a bit over 8 months and never want to drink again. I can't afford to both financially and emotionally.

All I suggest to you is to try again. What can it hurt? Nothing, it can only help. I use SR as my only source of keeping sober. I don't like crowds, so I'm not one for AA ect.
I stay sober for my boy. I want to be a good example to him.

I hope you are successful this time around.
I don't believe that relapse is needed to succeed, yet I still believe that one can succeed
if they relapse.

Have a great weekend, good luck to you

Old 11-22-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Natasha glad your bk wanting to try again

you can stop tonight if you want & lean on us for support ?

Good luck
Old 11-22-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why wait til Monday to stop drinking? Stop now and you'll start feeling better in a few days.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your replies. Isn't it funny that someone who you've never met can provide such words to make you feel positive and determined?

I'm going to try so hard and post on here every day, if you don't mind?

Here goes!

Thank you again!
Xxx
Old 11-22-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yay Natasha good for you if you need any help pm me my new friend

Good luck
Old 11-22-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well Natasha, if you wait until Monday we could very well be reading your next post saying you are going to quit on Monday in March of 2016. Why wait?

Get through the day, stay strong and come here - or stay here - until you feel okay.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Hello Natasha
As someone who was exactly in your position - that is drinking pretty much every day since (and before) my kids were born - and they're now 16 and 18 - I have an idea how you feel. I've had many false starts over the years and even more non starts.
I swore to myself nearly every morning over the last few years that I would stop - tried every way in the book but never managed.

This time - There is now 20 days between me and my last drink - I mostly feel positive that this time is for real. It was a combination of reading the AVRT book and website and using this forum.

I find many of the posts here inspirational and the folk are so supportive it's untrue!

I worried about how I could possibly get through an evening without drinking - and this worry kept me from stopping for so many years. I decided that I didn't want to drink anymore and no one could make me drink. it was totally my decision.
Come the morning and with each successive day I feel so glad and proud of myself that I now wake up with a beaming grin!

Why not decide to stop - make a commitment and hang around here?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've ended up in tears, but the best tears I've ever cried!

Thank you! Xxx
Old 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Natasha, from Wiltshire !

I got through the first day with determination not to drink and posting/reading on here a lot. Felt so good when I went to bed sober that I repeated it the next day too, and so on, and I'm now on 42 days.

The most important thing is; don't drink. Eat, drink water, or whatever , but don't pick up that first glass. Don't have any booze in the house.

There's lots of tips on this site for dealing with cravings etc.

Pm me if you need any support. Glad you came back !
Old 11-22-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you Wiltshire!!!

This place really is amazing! Xxx
Old 11-22-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Xpander
Being on SR really helped me remember what the problem was.

Whenever you feel yourself forgetting or downplaying how bad things got, post and read here. We'll help you through

D
Old 11-22-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back, expander.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi....I really encourage you to search and read up on AVRT. I think it can really help. It will allow you to understand why you approach to quitting has been failing you. Quitting means quitting....ZERO alcohol. EVER. there are no shades of gray here....if you allow your addiction to convince you to drink for any reason (including celebration or reward) then your addiction wins and you go back to square one. Please think about it, take a deep breathe, and quit. And don't go back.