Notices
View Poll Results: Should I rescue a dog?
Yes
46.88%
No
53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Newly Sober; Adopt a dog?

Old 11-22-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly Sober; Adopt a dog?

I really want to adopt a 7-10 Year old rescue dog... Yes or No?
Old 11-22-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you afford it? Do you have time to walk it for 30 minutes twice a day? What kind of dog? Some are more laid-back than others.

I love dogs. I had a dog for the first 38 years of my life. I've now graduated to cats because dogs require a lot more attention and can't be left alone for long periods.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I voted no.

First off, I would say to anyone who wants a dog to get a "rescue" dog or one from a shelter.

I voted NO because unless you are secure with yourself, your sobriety and who you are, getting a dog is just one more thing you have to learn how to take care of. Once you learn to take care of yourself and have a good foundation, then consider getting a dog. Until then, I'd wait. Sure dogs will give you a sense of responsibility, so will a goldfish or an african violet.

If you get a dog and you are not fully prepared for a dog, you are doing more harm than good for the animal.

Just get a cat if you feel the need for a presence - after all, that's what cats are for.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

"Get a plant. If you can keep it alive for a year, then get a dog"

That's a quote from a movie,can't recall which one....
Old 11-22-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would say it depends on many factors that you have not provided. The questions that bimini asked, your commitment, stability, and confidence level that you can and will take care of the dog no matter what. Have you had dogs before? Do you live alone or with others that could potentially help with the dog? Do you think that you could give the attention and companionship to the dog that it deserves, or you are looking for distraction mostly to take your mind off your issues? Also, 7-10 yo is not young for a dog, so you can expect some health issues in the near future - are you OK with that emotionally and financially if it happens? Do you live in a household and environment that's good for the type of dog you desire?

I'm inclined to say "no" despite being a big fan of dogs, cats, most animals. I've been playing this game in my own life for a few months (years, actually) now, just about a cat... I also posted about one of these impulses here on SR a while ago. Please don't do this impulsively, it's long-term investment and commitment.

On the other hand, I do see that a few people in early recovery benefit a lot from a new pet, and I think this should be decided on an individual basis considering all factors we raise here and more that only you know of.

Here is an alternative idea, and something I've been doing this year. Do you have people in your neighborhood with dogs who are busy and could use a hand to take care of the animal, walk it, feed it when they travel, etc? I've been doing this with one of my neighbor's dog, it even brings a few bucks
Old 11-22-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Think seriously about the commitment - every single day for 12 or 15 years, you will need to commit to caring for the dog. Are you ready to make that commitment? I know that a pet can bring so much to a recovering person, but the dog deserves the best part of you.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for answering this haennie
Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ultimately the decision is yours Chilly. I agree with what Anna said. You also have to look at the dog as a two year old that will never grow up.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jsm273 View Post
You also have to look at the dog as a two year old that will never grow up.
Don't know what made me think of this, but it's good material.
She said, "I was going to get a dog, but I got married instead."
Old 11-22-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok, I'm clearly biased, so Disclaimer; I really want to do this and have been thinking about it for months.

I'm 34 years old and I've been a dog owner for almost my whole life. I had my last dog for almost 19 years, the last few years of his life, he was completely blind special needs. I kept him healthy and alive for 18 1/2 years.

I am single and I do live in a nice, good sized apartment. With a garden/dog walk right below my balcony. But yes, it is still an apartment.

I'm looking at adopting a wiener dog. I've never had a Dachshund before, but from my research, I've learned that they are one of the best breeds for apartment living.

Of course I love puppies, but I'm looking to adopt an adult dog as I know they are special and need a home too. Also, I'm very familiar with the incredible energy that puppies have.

I am not rich, but I know that I can afford the cost of caring for a dog.

My brother and best friend live together in a condo that is close to my home. I've spoken with both of them, and they both love the idea of being godfathers to a dog, and are willing to help out if the doggy ever needs to have a sleepover.

As far as commitment goes, I have always considered my dogs as little brothers, and as such, I consider them my family. Nobody knows what the future will bring, but I am secure in knowing that my love for the little guys prevents me from losing my commitment to them.

Thanks and I appreciate your input!

Old 11-22-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well in that case, good luck with the dog. Just don't lose focus on yourself.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Volunteer at the SPCA for awhile first. =)
Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Puppies need a lot of time and training (and patience). Dogs are very rewarding and improve our lives, but sometimes a puppy is a bit much. Maybe a little older ones.

Oh and one warning, Doxies like to bark. A lot. If your apartment is noisy that could be a bad thing (gets down to training again).

I adopt rescue Greyhounds and they are so rewarding (not for your apartment of course)
Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Doxies like to bark.

That's the understatement of the day
Old 11-22-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Yip, yip yip [citronella spritz]...

I'm not sure what works for the yips of a doxie? That would be a good thing to research.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

I love dogs mine is beside me now watching tv of all things hes watching price is right lol

if you know you can look after a dog and keep up the continuos maintenance ie Love Walks Feeds & Baths

and the yearly check up with the vet

Then go for it get a rescue dog my first dog was a rescue dog

but think it over properly but yes im for it

Good luck bud
Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I like that you're going for an adult dog. They are usually harder to place than puppies. I hope it all works out well for you and the dog.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it's amazing you want to adopt an older dog, you're awesome I think it's the right time. In august I adopted a 12 year old wiener dog! He is completely toothless, but just the best. Let us know what you decide. Don't let him down if you get him! Dogs like sobriety.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One thing to consider: do you have a lot of stairs? They can be tough on a dachshund's back. Their spines are very long and can be injured easily. I adopted my doxie when he was about 8-10 and as he's getting older he's having a lot of trouble with the stairs. If it's a mini you can carry him. Mine is a standard so he weighs almost 30 pounds. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)