Notices

What exactly has gotten better for you

Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What exactly has gotten better for you

Since becoming sober what exactly has gotten better for you in your life? As in what specific things?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I sleep 8 hours a day and I'm not tired.
And when I wake up, my first though isn't about yesterday night. I don't have to try figure out in panic what have I been doing during last night black out and where I embarrassed myself. I just wake up fully rested and can start new day.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here!!! Welcome!

Many - but, briefly
I take much more pleasure in the action of doing little things that seemed like a burden before sobriety. For example, making coffee in the morning for myself and wife. Helping daughter whose car broke down the other day. Really just daily interaction I took for granted, with people. Use to be bothersome, not I find joy in these.

The reflection of my despair I saw daily in my loved ones eyes and now been replaced by hope, by grace

Keep coming back!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm less worried and anxious, I have more money, my health is better, I'm more productive...

I have a serenity that endures even through bad times and I have a real sense of who I am, and I like who that is.

I look forward to the future now

That's just off the cuff...others will have more I'm sure

It's like black and white to technicolour, zelt...really.

D
Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am in control of my actions and I remember them. I have a chance to learn and process through the mistakes I make instead of feeling ashamed or embarrassed of things I can't remember doing while under the influence.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everything.

Bunnez
Old 11-21-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have to echo the lack of panic or urgency I used to CONSTANTLY feel. I didn't realize how much I was continually looking over my shoulder. The majority of my drinking was "hidden" (or as much as an alcoholic can hide) so if I wasn't drinking then I was getting rid of the evidence. I was in a perpetual state of hyper-vigilance.

Did I get all my empties thrown away?

Did I check all my hiding spots? Did I come up with any new ones?

Does my breath reek of alcohol?

Am I slurring?

Are my eyes bloodshot?

Did I call anyone? Text? Tweet?

You get the picture. I've done that for so long that when I first stopped I couldn't relax. At first I thought it was the cravings or my AV. I'm not so sure it wasn't more than that. Now at almost 100 days I'm just beginning to breathe a little easier & losen my grip so-to-speak. Every now & again I panic for a second fearful that the jig is up until I realize there's no need for that anymore. All my secrets were revealed. I'm no longer living in fear that someone's gonna find me out. The cloud of fear & shame has disappeared!! I breathe these heavy sighs of relief multiple times throughout the day. Hallelujah!

It's the most free I've ever felt in my life and I thank the universe for it every, single chance I get. It damn near brings me to my knees in gratefulness.

Great question. Thanks for the post.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking was not my problem, drugs were, but I can answer this.

Everything.

The people who love me can depend on me to do what I say I will, be where I say I will be.

I have an odd sense of joy being able to pay bills. Heck, I'm glad to HAVE bills, as I totally shot my credit when I was using.

A roof over my head and a nice bed to sleep in, food to eat. When I was using, all of those were a distant hope.

I have friends from all over the world, here at SR. People here "get me", no matter what we abused.

I wouldn't have more than 7-1/2 years in recovery if it weren't for my friends here.

Oh yeah.....gratitude I appreciate my worst times, as they made the person I am today.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-21-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everything has gotten better. I wake up filled with energy. I am in a great mood everyday. My relationships with my family and friends are better than ever! People like the sober me much more than the drunk and high me. I have a job too! I have a bank account! I repay student loans! I am no longer selfish and care about the feelings of others, I am no longer just getting high and only caring about myself and whether I had drugs or not.

Everything has gotten better in my life. All of these things happened in the first 15 months of me being sober. I am excited for he next year and what new/good things will happen in my life!

You can do it!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am present with my kids, engaged with them, I'm working out three days a week before work at 5:15am! I'm making amends when I drew up and have given up many of my poor coping or attention seeking behaviors, I'm open with my husband when something is bothering me. I am much more productive at work and have started several new projects. Mostly I have found god in my life and that has changed everything!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

I used to hate walking the dog when I was drinking. Cut into my drinking time, always dragging me to his favorite spot, barking at anything that moved and he was an overall pain in the ass. And after all that, I had to clean up after him. Regretted getting him in the first place. It was only after getting sober that I learned that I didn't have a dog.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I feel freer because I don't have to lie and hide all the time. I can let people get closer because I'm not afraid of being found out.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

1. I no longer wake up between 1-3 and lie there for hours, heart pounding and only falling asleep right before the alarm rings.
2. While the stress in my life still exists, my reaction towards it has changed dramatically. I can now detach from people's monkey business, which makes me a better employee and a better person to those I love.
3. I leave the office feeling proud about all I've accomplished, instead of regretful that I was too tired to complete what I wanted to.
4. While I drank due to anxiety (in part) my level of anxiety has dropped DRAMATICALLY since I've quit drinking.
5. I feel so calm!
5. I feel my feelings. Sometimes that hurts (like tonight) but I feel the good ones too, like joy. It wasn't until I quit drinking that I realized I had been cutting myself from all the good feelings, just to avoid the bad.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Life in general has gotten better.
I'm able to remember what I did the night before.
Get a full night of rest
No more shaking/anxiety feeling
Being able to drive and go to the store whenever I need to
Way better at my job
Being able to help others and my family when needed
Meeting other sober people and have meaningful conversation
True happiness and laughter
Enjoying the simple things like the sun rising over the ocean
Actually saving money and not counting change to buy more booze
The feeling of freedom and not being held down by booze or thinking how long till my next drink
Exercise
No more excuse making and lies
Old 11-21-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I feel so much more contented, knowing that I haven't had any of those drunken rages, which are countertproductive to any kind of relationship.
My body feels so much better, no aches, no mystery bruises, no red (embarrassing) face the next day, bloating.
There's also a general feeling of well being, being in control and peace.

On the flip side, when i do something stupid, or silly, or human, it might just be"me" and I can soberly own it. Otherwise, there is all kinds of OTHER heaps of self-induced shame to pile onto a just simple human mistake.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I feel like I am more of an authentic person now that I am sober. At the end I really felt like I hid from everyone and everything. My productivity has gone way up. I am a much better mother. When people invite me to do something I don't have to think about alcohol and how it factors in anymore. I would navigate most events around drinking but in the end turned down most if not all invites. My looks, I looked so tired all of the time and people would tell me too. I don't get that anymore, and I've lost 30lbs!!! But the best thing is about sobriety is that I like myself more and take much better care.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I am calm, I am aware. I FEEL. Good and bad, but I feel .
I feel much more grown up and sensible.
I sleep, soundly, and dream, normally.
I don't have a black tongue and a red face, brown teeth, smelly breath.
I can drive anywhere at any time.
I still have issues,of course, but I can look at them now and face them, one at a time.
I am more capable , the house is clean and tidy.
I have much more time to do things.
I've nearly given up smoking (vaping now).
I've made new, sober friends.
My kids and grandkids are benefitting from my sobriety in many ways.
I look better, I've lost weight.
I have more money.
My stomach doesn't hurt any more.
I'm a lot less cynical and I pray every morning (work in progress)
I can go anywhere and not worry about how much booze there will be, if it will be enough, or how embarrassingly drunk will i get.
I'm much less of a people pleaser, and don't run myself ragged every day out of guilt.
I feel cleaner , internally.

I'm only 42 days in, there will be more improvements over the long term, I'm sure.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i am rebuilding my relationship with my precious daughter.
i am no longer killing myself by increments on a daily basis.
i have genuine friends who love me and who are delighted with my sobriety.
i have a new relationship with someone who has never known me drinking.
i am not permanently drunk, topping up to avoid hangovers.
i don't risk other people's lives or my own by driving drunk.
i sleep and it's restful.
my problems are still there but by dealing with them bit by bit i can make progress.
i'm not scared of the phone ringing, or of mail i need to open.

so yeah. everything has got better...
Old 11-22-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wake up happy, instead of feeling like crap and hating myself.

I pay my bills on time.

I take so much better care of my dogs and cats. Their good health and happiness are my reward.

I've earned back the trust of my kids.

I was present and able to help my mother in her last two and a half years. I could never have done that if I'd still been drinking.

Everything is better! I'm happy and it shows in my face. I look better and have been told I look happy.

I treat others much better. I go out of my way to compliment others and express my appreciation for things.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I can relax when there's alcohol around because I've decided not to drink it.
I feel better about myself.
When I feel a bit off-colour I know it's not because of a hangover.
I don't worry about how much I'm drinking and what it's doing to my health.
I've stopped gaining weight.
I've inspired others to look at their intake.
I've saved a lot of money, important now I'm unemployed.
I'm not a danger to others when I drive.
I don't binge with food as much.
No embarrassing clink of bottles when I take out the trash