Notices

I fail

Old 11-21-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I fail

Hello,

Just registered a few minutes ago.

I am drunk at the moment, again, despite my promises to myself. Apologies for that, this is supposed to be a sober recovery forum.

I am listening to a song: "Oh how I wish, for soothing rain, all I wish is to dream again, my loving heart lost in the dark..."

So true for me, I used to be something, now I am nothing. What happened to me ? Why do I keep doing this ? I hate myself. I made a promise to days ago to not drink for a week, but I broke it today

I don't know why, I just did... I guess I think at the time, that these things are not serious enough.

All I know is:
I feel bad almost every moment I am sober.
I feel like my life is crashing down, and that I am drowning.
I should have everything I need, and I must admit, I feel ashamed for writing this because there are people who have it much worse than me. I have a life, a family, a job (for now), still I drink, WHY ? Because I feel bad, I feel miserable when I am not drinking, and I feel miserable when I am not drinking. Only relief is when I am well, starting to drink or just before that, when I have "the stuff" but haven't started yet.

WHY do I keep drinking, WHY ?
Old 11-21-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Instead of asking yourself why, try to stop right now. Take the stuff you bought and thrwo it out. I know I sound crazy but tomorrow you will feel less anxiety if you stop the buzz. Stop trying to analyze, seek help instead for dealing with the triggers and the cravings. All that philosophical stuff doesn't do you any good. Welcome on here, post some more and you will soon feel better.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome eagle. I'm sorry you are hurting right now. Keep reading and posting. You will find a lot of support here.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the Forum Eagle
Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Eagle!

Alcoholism is a downward spiral and it's a progressive disease unless and until you stop drinking. I'm so glad you found us and decided to post.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome eagleflyfree. It's great to meet you. This is a good place for talking things over with those who understand.

Drinking took everything from me. What had once been fun and relaxing was nothing but misery. Staying numb is not living. I think you realize that. We're here to help.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find so much support and useful info here. I hope we can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey eagleflyfree- Welcome!

I think it's great that came to this forum seeking some help. It's a great place for that.

You've asked why do you keep drinking and have indicated that you want to stop. I think you'll need to appreciate that you might have a problem, and realize that something needs to be done about it. For most people in here, abstinence is really the only option.

I hope to see you around!

Lusher
Old 11-21-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome!

Originally Posted by eagleflyfree View Post
Only relief is when I am well, starting to drink or just before that, when I have "the stuff" but haven't started yet.
That's the only relief you KNOW about. What of we told you there was a better way?

I used to think that alcohol's effects only lasted 8-12 hours. Turns out that is incorrect for those of us who would drink it daily. Doing that makes the after effects of alcohol last 12-15 weeks. Yikes!

So, you went 2 days without drinking and didn't feel better. That's no surprise. Feeling better is going to take a few months.

Be well, New Friend.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You came here, that's a start. You can't let the past get you down. I find that dwelling on the past can be a trigger. Yesterday I was drinking, but today I'm sober.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your health issues? Alcohol can really mess up your body, especially as you get older. Right around when I hit 40 is where a few hours of recovery time from a hangover turned into a day or even two. Then in order to "cure" the bad hangover, I hit the bottle again.

I was so bad this morning that I was shaking so bad I couldn't type. I feel better every sober hour.

Keep posting and reading here, and put the booze down the drain.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, eagleflyfree! I'm glad you're here. Things can get better, although I know from experience that it's hard to believe that at first. I would suggest that you spend as much time here as possible, reading and posting. This site has been so helpful to me, and I hope it will be the same for you. Take good care, we're here for you.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome. -boy, do i know that feeling. a horrible place i wouldnt wish on an enemy. post. read. it seems to help many of us.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome eagleflyfree

I find that stopping drinking is a far better step to take than wondering why. There's plenty of time for why later.

Have you tried any approaches in the past to help you stop drinking?

D
Old 11-21-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here!!!

Good news SR doesn't check BAL until day two.....

Plenty of friends just like you and me here!

Keep coming back
FlyN
Old 11-21-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

the 'why' of it...
i used to ask myself that obsessively. and convinced myself i couldn't stop drinking because i hadn't figured out why i drank. why i drank after seriously promising myself not to. how could that be? and why was it so?
insisting on understanding the 'why' of my drinking and repeated returns to it was, in fact, an open door to continued drinking.

turns out: i didn't need to know the why at all in order to stop.

turns out, too, that the 'why' was a simple as "because i'm an alcoholic". but that would have sounded offensively simplistic at the time

you can figure the 'why' out later. if you want. it's not necessary in order to quit.
the 'why' of wanting sobriety is a better bet.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support! I will write more when I am back among the living, now it's time to suffer...

Some first thoughts:
I have tried using willpower to quit, only problem is, the 'me' who wants to drink is so clever to justify it, overriding the 'me' who tries to resist. No argument like "you need to cut down","your health","your weight" matters. It only matters in a hungover state. Weird ain't it?

To spill it all out:
I have about 12 drinks every 3 days. My cycle is drink -> hangover -> sober day -> drink. I have a job (still) and am rarely too hungover to do it.

Longest bender so far is 3 days, it happened only once, last year when I was on a trip with friends.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

eagleflyfree two things that should give you hope

1. You recognise that drinking is making you miserable
2. You recognise that the the part of 'you' that wants to drink isn't the real You.

You can beat this thing my friend, the part of you that wants to drink is called the Addictive Voice, there are very effective ways of dealing with it.

Hope you're feeling better soon, you've done the right thing by joining this site.

Why not make today the first day of the rest of your sober life?

It can be done.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Eagleflyfree

Some good advice above, so I ll just say hi for now.

Glad you found us and posted, we're all here for support any time you need it.