Notices

I had a dream I relapsed....

Old 11-21-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had a dream I relapsed....

I'm working on day 12 today and I just woke up this morning remembering a dream I had last night. I was drinking... and I realized I relapsed. There was also a dead guy in a lake I was swimming in. Perhaps he drank himself to death.

Anyway, I practically have nightmares every single night since I stopped drinking. It's harsh but this is my first drinking one. I was craving hard last night before bed. Probably explains it.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

14 days after I quit drinking I found myself at a bar with my friends. I was like what a heck, 1 beer can't do any harm. One beer lead to another....it was one of a hell night. When I arrived at home totally drunk I realized what have I done! I was totally disappointed of myself and was kicking my own ass... .

And then I woke up!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yes, I have learned this is very common. I still have some at almost 6 months.

Great Job on day 12!!!
Glad you're here, friend!

FlyN
Old 11-21-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just posted the same thing in the November thread...I dreamed that I was hiding alcohol (which I used to do all the time) but I don't remember actually dreaming about drinking it. In any case, every single night is a new nightmare. It is literally the only thing I don't love about being sober.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams. My favorite. Not.

When I stopped smoking 20 years ago I had smoking dreams, too. I don't have them anymore, so I'm hoping the drinking dreams skedaddle at some point.

Wow. 12 days! Good job, hunter. You're doing it!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yep. been there.

as a matter of fact, just a few days ago at nearly 11 months sober I had a dream that I had a bunch of cocaine. I was mixing it with my water - sneaky sneaky!!!! - and DRINKING IT.

I kept mixing it stronger and stronger and feeling more and more paranoid and guilty and freaked out....

and.... then I woke up!!

AAAAHhhhhh.... the relief.

They definitely get fewer and further between though.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I don't recall any specific dreams about drinking, but the dreaming of everything else is quite crazy and vivid! I presume with my brain not clouded in alcohol, all cylinders are firing during my REM sleep...
I have a hard time remembering what they are about, and to be honest I don't mind the active dreaming at all, or maybe it's just the waking up well-rested and alert without a hangover. That's probably it!
I'm thankful I am not having nightmares.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I've had many, not recently though. My mind tends to cook up pretty creative stories from the relapse theme when it happens. One of the most bizarre ones I had several months ago was that a few of us from SR went on a drunk discussion fest in full dream 3D reality, in the style of Plato's work called Symposium. That one had me thinking for days, not because I got so scared, but it was so interesting trying to trace the projections that my mind generated - was quite simple in fact

I also tend to have periods of nightmares still at ~10 months sober. One thing I've figured out about them is that they tend to come in clusters when I am feeling guilty in waking life procrastinating something, neglecting something, knowing that I am not making the right decision etc. My internal, unconscious moral guide talking to me in stories.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 12!

The good thing about dreams is... they're just dreams. Thank goodness for that because last night I had a dream my husband cheated on me. Lol.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Had a dream last night. All i can remember from it was pouring myself a vodka...I think it was prolly because i was reading through these forums all night before i hopped into bed :P

Sorta a catch 22. Reading other peoples stories on here gives me a lot of willpower...But it also makes me fancy a drink which i otherwise wouldn't when watching tv or something .
Old 11-21-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've had several "drinking" dreams since I quit completely on the 11th. The early ones were awful. In a bar looking for my drink, offering to dance on the bar for a drink ... etc.

Last night's dream someone handed me a drink. I didn't want to take it, but did because I didn't want to offend the person. Took a small sip but looking for a place to spit it out and dump the drink. A potted plant was nearby, but I was afraid I would kill the plant if I poured the drink on the plant. I ended up giving the drink away to someone. Phew! For both me and the plant.

A friend of mine has a Christmas Party coming up that is really all about everyone getting trashed. Last year I was so trashed I fell, cracked my shin bone and later on nearly drowned in the bathtub when I got home. You would have thought THAT would have been the wake up call, but it wasn't.

I haven't told my friend yet that I can't handle this party. Too tempting and disturbing for me at this point. Hence the dream and fear of someone offering me a drink.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

No drinking dreams, but it's nice to be dreaming again... if a little bizarre sometimes....
Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by JanieJ View Post
No drinking dreams, but it's nice to be dreaming again... if a little bizarre sometimes....
Not all of my dreams have been about drinking. I've had some wild ones that were entertaining, particularly a few that were lucid, which is cool. So, I agree it's nice to be dreaming again. A plus to being sober.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jerri11 View Post
Not all of my dreams have been about drinking. I've had some wild ones that were entertaining, particularly a few that were lucid, which is cool.
I love lucid dreams! Have them quite frequently. The best way to experience "altered states" in and absolutely safe, healthy, and often enlightening way (well the last part depends what we do in them)
Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

About 2 months ago I dreamed I had relapsed and was talking to my mother about it. Every minute or so she would kick the bottom of my chair with her pointy-toed shoes. It would hurt. She wouldn't say anything about it, she would just kick my chair.

When I woke up my dog had crawled into bed and was lying on her side between my wife and I, pushing my butt with her feet to make more room.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 12
Old 11-21-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I look at drinking dreams the same way I would any other nightmare. They don't mean anything except that drinking has become a scary thought (which isn't a bad thing).

I dream all kinds of weird anxiety crap--the test for a class I never went to, realizing I never completed one of my classes needed to graduate (and my last formal schooling ended 30 years ago!), suddenly finding myself in public in my underwear, trying unsuccessfully to dial "911"--none of these MEAN anything except that they are distressing and upsetting (and a relief to wake up from). They don't mean I have a secret longing to DO any of these things.

I have a drinking dream every once in a blue moon. Not a big deal, once my heart stops pounding.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had a drinking dream last week, and I've been sober coming up on 5 years.

It's no big deal, it's part of my life history so why wouldn't I dream about it on occasion? I sometimes have dreams about high school or college and it has been years since I attended those. To me it's the same thing, I don't read anything into it.