Notices

49 days. Cravings setting in...:(

Old 11-20-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

49 days. Cravings setting in...:(

So i'm 49 days sober since my disastrous hospital visit.

And out of the blue the last couple of days...The cravings for drinking have returned OUT of the BLUE with a vengeance!

I'm still connected to AA, i have a sponsor i talk to everyday. And i go to meetings multiple times a week.

Maybe its the weather...The cold/grayness is affecting my mood i can feel it.

I'm NOT giving up my sobriety. But the cravings are making me a bit mental.

Anyone experienced these? I sure hope they won't last at this intensity.

I've made the commitment to NOT drink today. And i will stand by that.

Hoping tomorrow is easier.

Thanks for reading and letting my post these thoughts out SR.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes... I've been there.

You say you're 'connected to AA'.

Are you working the steps?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes i'm actively working them.

I'm on Step 6 & 7 right now.

Reading the book *Drop the Rock*
Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It happened to me every time I something new came up- seasonal activities. Yard work, hunting, ... the entire first year was a series of 'new' things. I had to remind myself that it will pass. Focus on sobriety. You'll get through it. See the links to many of the techniques others have used to get through the cravings and urges. They don't last long but you have to recognize it for what it is.
Stay strong.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Finding the weather can make it dreary sometimes but stay strong read this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

and http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Finding i regulary msg you i think you have come a long way just keep pushing no matter what

it never changes just think of how weak and broken you was on that hospital bed and look at the man you are now today on 49 days your positive helping others all the time your doing fantastic

as always if you wanna talk pm brother
Old 11-20-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 49 days sober. Remember, cravings are just feelings and you don't have to act on them.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
learning to live

Hey Finding! I am sorry you are going through this

I don't know if you saw in the 24 hour thread but I had a weird dream about you a few nights ago even though we have never spoke. I wrote about it in the 24 hr thread the following day. And, yes, you were Spiderman in the dream, lol. It was about you struggling. Something in the dream told me to tell you to keep going. Oh the irony

Well, here, my deal as I have had several times like this lately with the cravings. This go around has been really intense on several occasions with the dang cravings.

SR is helping me a lot. There are so many wonderful people here who swear things will get better. A SR member told me; "the problem with sobriety is you have to do it a while before things start getting better". They would know and I trust them. Thing is anything worth having does not come easy. The only way we will know if things are gonna get better is if we keep going. We cant quit right before a miracle happens, ya know. Also, I tell myself this; I got nothing to lose to keep going with sobriety and trying to learn about recovery when comparing it to my active drinking days.... Nothing good came from those days!

Try really hard to remember why you are here, now, sober. Why did you want to stop drinking in the first place? You've come way too far to quit now. If you drink I know you will be so upset with yourself. You will also lose out on all that growth and surely spend a couple days beating yourself up. Or worse (and most likely), if you pick a drink back up it will be soooo hard to put it back down. Keep the beast arrested! The only way to tame an appetite is to starve it. You win, beast loses! My last couple relapses have lasted months when AV convinced me to "just have one". Its really not worth it, Finding. We aren't missing a thing with not drinking but we ARE GAINING so much!

I REALLY hope you keep going!!!! We all here at SR have been so proud of you!!!! Get past this battle and you will feel such a strength by doing so!!!!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Findingtheway View Post
So i'm 49 days sober since my disastrous hospital visit.

And out of the blue the last couple of days...The cravings for drinking have returned OUT of the BLUE with a vengeance!

I'm still connected to AA, i have a sponsor i talk to everyday. And i go to meetings multiple times a week.

Maybe its the weather...The cold/grayness is affecting my mood i can feel it.

I'm NOT giving up my sobriety. But the cravings are making me a bit mental.

Anyone experienced these? I sure hope they won't last at this intensity.

I've made the commitment to NOT drink today. And i will stand by that.

Hoping tomorrow is easier.

Thanks for reading and letting my post these thoughts out SR.
Are you experiencing a physical craving of sorts or would you classify them more of a mental obsession???

For me, it was strictly mental after around 30 days. The mental part still pops up at times. I found that these were just thoughts - I have to then choose to act on them or not. A physical craving I do not experience until I would actually start drinking.....then my body would holler for more.

It does take time I have learned from others, to have the mental obsession/craving diminish.

Just don't act on them and as others have stated keep truckin~~~
ps LOVE Drop the Rock!

FlyN
Old 11-20-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What i'm experiencing is definitely a mental obsession...Though now that i've talked to you fine people my SR friends/family

I honestly feel MUCH better. The intensity at times is very uncomfortable...But not UNBEARABLE. I won't be giving into it. NOT worth it.

That is too funny Growpath about having a dream about me...Thank you for the encouragement to keep going! I'm sorry i didn't have a chance to respond/read that post earlier.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who read/posted to this thread. Honestly it has made a difference in my day.

Stay sober friends. Thank you for being here for me today.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really don't have anything else to add to the already great advice above.

Hang tough; stay the course; there is a whole lot of great sober stuff ahead of you.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It happened to me, cravings came on at day 40, started planning my binge on day 42 (mental relapse), drank on the friday day 44....then drank for 21 days and felt like ****, then came back...id be on 70 days now.

Whatever happens dont do it.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 49 days! That's great! Check out the thread I started a few hours ago about cravings. Do you eat a lot of sugar, caffeine etc? This can trigger cravings....also processed, high fat foods....
Old 11-20-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Findingtheway...which in my mind I shorten to FTW , which is For The Win. Which I know you are, a winner
Old 11-20-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
getting there

I had quite a few bouts of this in the first six months. I really thought it would last forever, but it didn't. Hang in there, you can do it!