Notices

How do you grow spiritually?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you grow spiritually?

How do you grow spiritually? I myself think of the world as a whole. I try to have strong relationships with others making life about more than just me. I see my place in the world and I try to be the best person I can be. I treat others how I would like to be treated.

Am I doing this right? How do you all grow spiritually? Please help me grow a better understanding.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 11-19-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I reckon you're pretty much onto it.

Action is key.

"find your way along the way " in other words keep moving forward and more will be revealed.

Keep taking action and helping and spiritual stuff just flourishes naturally.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SoberLife90 View Post
Am I doing this right? How do you all grow spiritually? Please help me grow a better understanding.
Sounds like you are on track. I think spiritually is like recovery. Oft a personal thing. Do what works for you. You will know if it is working.

Myself, I thought I could grow spiritually by thinking deep thoughts. Then I realized that I wasn't living spiritually. No action.

Like recovery, I couldn't grow spiritually on my own. So, I joined a church.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you sound like you have a good understanding of it to me

for me thats all i try to do each day is be as good as i can be and help others if i can

it sounds easy but for someone with my nature that is so dam selfish to the core its been a hard slog but well worth it

doesnt mean i will ever be perfect at it either and that i will still get things wrong but i do grow from it all

keep on ploding along like you are and you will be amazed at how much change does actualy start to become a part of our nature and how our heads will start to see we are doing wrong so better stop it etc
Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree that you seem to be on a good road.

To me, spiritual growth comes best from living in accordance with my personal values and philosophies, following my inspirations, and filling my life with meaningful activities. Also, staying connected with my environment and other people both physically and emotionally, actively contributing and living life rather than being an observer of it.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

one day at a time...

with honesty...

with introspection...

with a genuine desire to do so...

and with willingness to be shown....
Old 11-19-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gratitude for all you are, all you have is a good start.
Just appreciating the change of seasons, simple pleasures helps me get centered .
Old 11-19-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I talk to God. Anywhere.

Bunnez
Old 11-19-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^^^^ This!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Our Book List has some amazing books on spirituality.

My favorites:

Return to Love by Marianne Williamson
The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav
A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 11-19-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. To me when I hear spirituality I guess it was misleading to me. I would think of some spirit or something. All along I'm kind of the spirit because all I do is live life by my good morals and values and this grows me spiritually. Am I right?
Old 11-19-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

How do you grow spiritually? I myself think of the world as a whole. I try to have strong relationships with others making life about more than just me. I see my place in the world and I try to be the best person I can be. I treat others how I would like to be treated.

Thanks,

Nick
Good Advice!
I am not very developed, working on it daily. I learned some folks have a white light/flash sort of revelation that brings them to a place of spirituality. Certainly not me..... I try to pray/meditate daily and steep myself in reading. My development is more of the educational variety, I suppose.

Really, really long way to go.....
Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I read this just this morning...and it seemed to click for me with respect to spirituality.

"Setting aside our illusion of control and opening ourselves up to the possibility of support".
Old 11-19-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I read this just this morning...and it seemed to click for me with respect to spirituality.

"Setting aside our illusion of control and opening ourselves up to the possibility of support".
oooh I like that. Thanks NUU

How's the cookies?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm also not really "spiritual" in a sense of believing in and looking for esoteric or supernatural things, although I did my fare of such seeking also mostly out of curiosity in my youth. But I do consider myself a pretty spiritual person regarding having strong values and looking for meaningful, personally life-enriching ways of being and living. I guess they call this "spiritual but not religious", or secular. But I am not closed to alternatives either, would get into anything positive and interesting even tomorrow if I develop and interest. Pretty much an agnostic in this context. Speaking of open-mindedness... I also consider that a very important component of my personal and spiritual development, and a feature I feel I am naturally, effortlessly good at.

I also appreciate some of the Eastern spiritual systems a lot, have found the most that clicks with me in Buddhism. Again, I don't care much about the esoteric components beyond being curious, but I think Buddhism provides, for example, the most wonderful set of ethical principles that I've come across for myself, sort of my natural way of thinking also. Finally, for me a highly developed spirituality also includes being open and accepting of diversity, the views and beliefs of others around me.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. To me when I hear spirituality I guess it was misleading to me. I would think of some spirit or something. All along I'm kind of the spirit because all I do is live life by my good morals and values and this grows me spiritually. Am I right?
Mother Teresa's life embodied "spirituality".... Living and acting upon the principles of JC's teachings.

She talked the talk I guess but more importantly, she walked the walk.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa
Old 11-19-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

spirituality starts with gratitude for me. sometimes thats as simple as paying attention. when spiritually "well", i feel like expressing generosity and compassion.

when i start to drop the compassion, and slide into cynicism, i know its time for a tune-up.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I'm just beginning to learn that spirituality is about doing, not thinking.

I've always been grateful for what I have, but I 've not really been of service to humanity that much - my inner, very cynical, drama queen always got in the way.

I think like a lot of people have said, it's a personal thing, and you seem to be well on your way.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I believe the best way to grow Spiritually is to pray, read the Bible and when your ready join others in doing the same