Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Thinking about attending mandated view of " drug court" with the wife

Notices

Old 11-19-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So my wife has to attend a viewing of " drug court" today. Drug court is something the city of Reno set up to deter addicts from ER visits and or jail, court time, sucking on public funds for addiction

I wasn't given a referral because I wasn't the main offender, but the wife was. Its voluntary, and if you complete there are rewards cash, a down on a house or help buying a car. Its a money play for the city and innovative program to help addicts. It last one year, and if you complete all your goals there is a reward.

I am thinking about going and supporting her, I am a little reluctant to leave the house, but viewing how the program works with the wife might help me convince her to volunteer for the program. It would be nice to get a down on a house and reestablish life, but I guess if she joins the reward is her choice.

Other than that, staying sober, looking forward to outpatient tomorrow, it might be nice to get out and support the wife.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

by money play I mean it saves the city money on court visits and Er visits and the like. Funny rewarding addicts but a cool program where all parties win, the city saves money, and the addict get a reward and achieves goals. Very cool program, but her choice.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

that's admirable J,
HOWEVER...

Focus on yourself. Get into a 30 day program of recovery. You need to be solid on yourself first. Putting your energy on someone else regardless of who they are is not in your best interest.
Once again you are all over the map. Do what is important for you right now. All of that ancillary stuff can be addressed at a later time.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Go.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What Brain said. Sounds like a great and supportive gesture, but... I think, Jeremy, that you tend to have a pattern that when you feel a little better, just a day or two, you start distracting yourself, talk about others too much, etc. I would suggest that you don't do this at this time. You are finally close to a potentially progressive road, but you will need to invest a lot of work yourself, and dealing with other people and other programs are likely to hold your own recovery back by diverting your focus. You're so close to an intensive program now... why don't you spend your day with reading up on how those outpatient and inpatient programs work? And just relax.
So, simply put, I suggest that you resist this desire now. You will have plenty of opportunities to support others once you have put yourself a but more together.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

That is good news but stay focused on you

Are you still planning inpatient i know you were waiting on waiting lists ?

all in all this is good as your wife can focus on her stuff and you can focus on yours

Good news TDG
Old 11-19-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with the others about just staying focussed on you. I'm sure your intentions are in the right place TDG, but you really need to just focus on one thing at a time and that's YOU and YOUR sobriety.
Hang in.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

your wife needs to work on her own recovery, the same way you have to work on yours, find your own program to go on if you wish but leave her to have a try at it on her own

she will not be able to engage fully if your with her same as you wouldnt be able to engage fully if she was with you on your own program

so best the pair of you do it on your own rather than a joint effort
Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Is everything all set for your rehab?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thinking of this program as a way of getting a down payment on a house is wrong on many levels and putting the cart way before the horse. People need to get sober because they want to. Not because someone will pay them to. And if your wife completes the program and gets the down payment, will you be sober and making the mortgage payments?

As Brain said, you are all over the map again. I am happy to hear that you will be doing outpatient but really think you need inpatient. Work your own program and focus on staying sober.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

anything I put in front of my own sobriety I will lose....
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you are feeling a bit restless and want something to do today out, maybe go to an AA meeting?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh man, thank you all for putting things in perspective again, I need to hear that. I am trying to focus energy where energy doesn't need to be focused. And really at this juncture I have no job, so no I couldn't afford the mortgage payment. Funny how easily distracted I get, I think I will let her go it alone and catch a movie or read or something.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good choice and BTW, I like talking to THIS Jeremy! Try to relax today and stay sober my friend!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes sober and a medicated, I think differently sprout50. That other dude is off the tracks and does crazy stuff. Outpatient starts tomorrow, today I need to stay sober and I will be wait listed for inpatient tomorrow. Unfortunately, Medicaid isn't the best insurance, and the three center that take it in Reno have waiting list for inpatient.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

At least you have outpatient right now and will be on the list. You are on the right track.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jeremy stay sober brother your doing really well
Old 11-20-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep at it TDG. This is potentially one of the biggest things you're ever gonna do to turn your life around. Make it count.