Notices

Addictions

Old 11-19-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addictions

So I am watching episodes of "Heavy" on youtube, a series about obese persons getting help to lose weight and live healthy. And I am thinking, food addiction must be worse that alcohol addicition. You can never stop to eat completely, whereas alcohol can be totally removed. It should be so easy, just to stop drinking.. :-)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was a food addict for 30 years before turning to alcohol. Benefits of food: No blackouts or hangovers. Other than that I behaved almost the same, planning binges, hiding food, eating in secrecy, waking up with a lot of remorse and so on. My brain rewired after gastric bypass surgery, so food is no longer a problem (or solution). Maybe part of the reason I turned to alcohol...

...I've also been known to be addicted to sex and shopping, so I think it's all about being an addict with a drug of choice. Food, sex, shopping, alcohol - they were pretty much equally hard to give up.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will just have to find a healthy addiction, like going to the gym, running or something. I definately have an addictive personality. it sucks.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think there are similarities. I used to think it would be much easier to drop alcohol than have an eating disorder (including overeating). However, I think they're both difficult to deal with.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going for the gym-addiction too. Funny feeling trying to GET addicted to something.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hired a personal trainer to get me going. Maybe he can help me develop the new addiction?
Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great, I'm sure he can help. Besides, I Guess you become more accountable..? I've told everyone I work out every day (twice in two days is every day, right?), and now people keep cheering me on. Day 3 at the gym today, I'll be swimming in endorphins any day now.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job with the daily workouts!