Notices

Pitfalls in New York

Old 11-18-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pitfalls in New York

I've noticed there are quite a lot of New Yorkers here. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I booked a 2-week holiday for myself in NY this Christmas/New Year's while drunk, and I am still adamant to go.

Now my big question is:

How am I going to spend my evenings? I have my New York pass, so will be doing a lot of sight-seeing in the daytime. I'm staying in a hostel, so hope to meet some people there (I'm really outgoing, even when sober).

I originally planned on spending my 2 solitary weeks in bars, getting into all kinds of trouble. Now I just want to see the city, stay safe and have some fun.

Anything I should definitely do/not do? I'm staying in Chelsea. I love to eat, so would like to go to Queens, but not sure if it's safe.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

When i went NY i went to strawberry fields in central park and visited the imagine plaque but i was on holiday

im sure some real NY's will help you out
Old 11-18-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Soberwolf. Sounds serene, will definitely go there.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's plenty to do in NYC without drinking. I would at least try to ice skate rock center, stroll central park in the snow? Go to the top of the empire state building and freeze your a off. Go to museum mile, take in a few shows - there are PLENTY.
And stay away from times square on new years eve. You'll be annoyed beyond your wildest imagination.

oh, of course you have to do the xmas show at radio city if you can get a ticket.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

The tree at rock center is always a great holiday treat. The smell of vendors selling roasted chestnuts. From there a casual walk down fifth ave to window shop. Stop in FAO Shawrtz. Cross the street to take a ride in a horse drawn carriage through Central Park. I agree with LB that Times Square sucks on New Years but go see it before then.

The west side has a wonderful walking trail on the Hudson. You can walk all the way down to the world trade.

I was always a west side, village, Chelsea kind of guy. So don't know much of the east side.

Have fun. The energy of the city around the holidays is always fun.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

No ideas from me but congrats on 10 days Stella

D
Old 11-18-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

something you may want to try - take the ferry to ellis island and the statue of liberty. take a pic of the world trade center form ellis island. a different way to "see" the city, plus it's a diversion for a half day.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Fast Track and Free Entry to New York Sights
Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That sounds like a fabulous way to spend Christmas and New Year think of the amazing memories you'll have and the confidence in your sobriety you'll have after spending the holidays sober in New York, totally cool X
Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Soberwolf, I got my New York pass a few weeks ago. Around the same time I looked into VIP parties with open bars for New Year's... Now I'm glad I went for the pass, not the parties.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you, Peacehappyness. Yes, I think this is the ultimate challenge. If (when!) I can do this, I can do anything.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lots of great ethnic food in NYC. I was there last week, and pretty much all I did was eat...

Oh, also lots of great AA meetings. I feel certain AA groups will have Christmas/New Year's special events.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you, gracetuesday. I will definitely look into AA if I'm feeling weak.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Stella! I'm a native nyc girl. I might have a few ideas, but have no clue as to your age group (I assume 20s?) or budget. Fwiw,as far as alcohol goes ...the price of a cocktail at most places is scary. Lol
Old 11-18-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just turned 40. Scared of the cocktails, but they are not an option. Budget..? Not really looking for a high-end holiday, I imagine I could eat better in Queens than at Le Bernadin. If anyone could get me a date with Anthony Bourdain I would love that.

I already have my NY pass, so I should have access to most of the tourist attractions. Apart from that I really thought I would be drunk from takeoff in Norway until I was back at work Jan 6th... I need to re-plan my evenings.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tony B has been my pretend boyfriend for years! If you like theatre I recommend the TKTS booth in Times Square for 'day of' performances at great prices. I'll be thinking about it today and post any ideas later. I think a trip to Brooklyn might be worth your time, see the hipster capital of the world.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'll be borrowing Anthony this Christmas, you can have him back in January.

Thanks for the ticket advice, I've been checking some prices (would love to see "The Last Mormon"), but will have to choose one or two shows. "Great prices" sounds... well, great.