Notices

Guilt

Old 11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guilt

I am still very new to this.. How do I get the guilt to go away. I have been writing letters to my husband in rehab, I don't want him to come home yet, I want him to continue to work for his sobriety for us and the kids. Writing the letters seems to help although I feel like I am just telling him all the bad things he had done to us. If he relapses and is home I am not sure I can go through all the pain again. Any advice on sober houses? Is it better to be out of state or close to home?
Old 11-17-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

why not try to attend some al anon meetings for your recovery?

http://www.marydelalanon.org/meetings.html
Old 11-17-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can you talk to the people at the rehab about a sober house arrangement for him? I would ask them about it. And in the mean time, yes, do go to an AlAnon meeting. You could use the support.

We also have 'friends and family' forums here, for substance abusers and alcoholics.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 11-18-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well telling him all the bad things is not helping him at all. he needs support and making him feel bad is not helping, it could be hurting, I'm sure he is full of guilt among other things. I know how I felt when I was in rehab and my wife was at home - in one of the worst winters.
If you need to work on yourself, then focus on that, see the link posted by soberwolf.
meanwhile try not to be so negative at him. what's done is done. We cannot undo our past, we can learn to accept it as an experience and try to live better and be a better person going forward. I'm sure that's what they are telling him at the rehab.